“Amazing experience at CIBO!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of CIBO Culinary Institute of Bologna

CIBO Culinary Institute of Bologna
More attraction details
Owner description: CIBO offers the ultimate Italian cooking experience. Enjoy short, half day or full day classes or a week long culinary adventure. Experience cooking lessons that are taught by professional restaurant chefs, in a fun foodie environment. Join us in downtown, historic Bologna or cook in our nearby countryside location.Classes are not demonstrations. At the Culinary Institute of Bologna(CIBO) you receive a true hands-on Italian cooking experience; you actively participate in the class and learn by actually cooking the dishes we prepare. Learn authentic Bolognese dishes from our professional chefs who are employed at local Emilia Romagna restaurants and trattorias. You will work with authentic recipes that have been handed down for centuries. You will perform cooking techniques that will quickly transform you into you into a great Italian cook.Choose from a multitude of cooking lessons. You may decide to take a few hours to a few days of classes, or enjoy a full week of culinary adventure in downtown Bologna and/or the nearby countryside in Ravenna. Select from the list of our Italian cooking courses. Almost every lesson includes a lunch or dinner.Prepare authentic Bolognese cuisine and then enjoy a wonderful meal that you created. CIBO loves amateurs, professionals, students and foodies, everyone is welcome at every level of expertise. Our professional chefs and staff provide instruction in a friendly, relaxed step-by -step instructional manner The staff will share their expert tips, methods and cookery and techniques. Our classes are not demonstrations but rather hands-on cooking classes offer a unique opportunity to learn from the very best!Using our state of the art professional kitchens will assure of learning quickly and effortlessly. Each kitchen is equipped with the latest kitchenware and cooking equipment.. At CIBO your are in the perfect setting in which to improve your cooking skills and have a fun filled culinary experience!
Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing experience at CIBO!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

I had an amazing experience from start to finish. First of all, Marcello really went out of his way to help me schedule a half day class to fit into my extremely tight schedule while I am studying at the University of Bologna this summer. Next, Stefano, the chef, made the entire experience incredible. He is extremely knowledgeable and was really helpful in teaching me both basic and more complex cooking techniques. It was great to work one on one with such a personable and masterful chef. He was willing to cater to the recipes that I wanted rather than just sticking to a prescribed plan of his choosing. He went above and beyond to make this a great experience in every way, even staying a lot longer than the scheduled time so that I could master a number of techniques and then enjoy the meal after we were finished cooking. CIBO is a really unique and can't miss experience if you are vising Bologna!

Visited June 2013

• Korean first
Florida
“Great culinary experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

We had a GREAT experience with Chef Stefano and his staff! Did a walking tour of the markets in Bologna and selected food for our cooking session. We had a professional chef in our group and he was very impressed with the techniques we utilized and recipes that we created. CIBO provides a true hands on experience that also enhances your knowledge of the region. Then we all sat together in a private dining area for a group dinner with great food and company! I highly recommend CIBO for the best cooking experience in Bologna! Grazie Chef Stefano!!

Visited June 2013
Seoul, South Korea
“You are already lucky to find this place and meet Stefano.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013

Hi, travelers. This is to recommend CIBO not only as the best cooking class in Bologna but also as (to be) one of the best decisions in your travel history. Designing some activities while travelling is always good idea, and I think learning cooking is the happiest way to love your travel place.

I stayed in Bologna the first week in May, and took 2courses. Now i know how to make many kinds of pasta with flours, eggs, olive oil pretending like i am a professional haha. Courses are very well organized, the air of the place is very local and friendly,, you are gonna be fulfill your expectation in every aspects. ah! I feel i am bed to explain.. just go and find out what i mean.

I enjoyed every moment in CIBO, learnig cooking, sharing some life stories with Stefano, seeing people working there.. everything was so lovely that i cannot help but just missing the moments.

Grazie, all in Trattoria Del Rosso, I will visit again! Ciao!

Jude

San Francisco, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“CIBO First rate!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

CIBO (Stephano) presents a first rate gastronomic cooking experience. You can find less expensive classes, but you won't find better teaching, better equipment and better English. Four of us spent two days in classes. The primary emphasis was on cooking techniques, less so on execution of recipies. We began each morning at the local outdoor market, choosing vegtables, meats and seafood. Stephano spent several hundred dollars, sparing no cost, buying the freshest eggs, potatoes, cheeses, mushrooms, herbs, onions, garlics, eggplants, asparagas, pork loin, rabbit, beef fillets, sausage, panchetta, prosciutto, guanchale (?), Turbot, Sea Bass, Redfish, prawns, shrimp, scampi, and scallops. We started cooking by making a yeast flat bread, then semolina based ravioli and gnocchi. Fillings for the ravioli were prepared with rocotta and asparagas, and then we made several "ragus" using the beef, pork, sausages, eggplants, asparagas. Fish soups were made from the fish and shell food, and used as sautees for the fish we filleted. We seasoned and baked whole fish, and a pork fillet wrapped in pasta dough. The rabbit was deboned, layered with an egg omelet and panchetta, rolled and baked. Lunches and dinners were assembled from the foods we prepared, accompanied by, unfortunately, inexpensive house wine, followed by excellent coffees, grappas and a selection of desserts made by the house pastry chef. At the end, we were "wowed", sated and satisfied. A good value.

Melbourne, Australia
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“So worth flying to Bologna for”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

I came to Bologna with the purpose of learning how to make an authentic Tagliatelle Al Ragu.

This course delivered on that, and lots more!

I did the half-day meat course with chef Stefano - a fantastic guy who was very personable, friendly, supportive and patient with this (very) amateur cook.

We had a great walk into the markets to choose the meats and veggies for the course, with Stefano telling me about some of the history of Bologna and the food, and then getting me to choose some meats, and giving me options on what I wanted to cook (as it turns out it was more than just the ragu I wanted to learn!).

During the half day, I had the opportunity to make two pastas and four different meat dishes. All were straight forward with Stefano's guidance, and all explained clearly and with some subtle and practical tips on how to do things right. The course was perfect pace-wise, and I never felt rushed or overwhelmed. There were some other people doing a slightly different course (the pasta making), which worked perfectly as they proceeded to make some extra pasta, and the meals combined at the end so we all got to share the food for lunch. In fact, the hardest part was eating it all as it was plentiful in size, and tasted fantastic!

I couldn't recommend any more highly the Culinary Institute of Bologna - I had a fantastic half day, learned a lot, had a great time, and have been able to re-create some of the dishes pretty well since I've returned.

Grazie mille Stefano!!!