“When in Bologna, Cook as the Bolognans Cook.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of CIBO Culinary Institute of Bologna

CIBO Culinary Institute of Bologna
More attraction details
Owner description: CIBO offers the ultimate Italian cooking experience. Enjoy short, half day or full day classes or a week long culinary adventure. Experience cooking lessons that are taught by professional restaurant chefs, in a fun foodie environment. Join us in downtown, historic Bologna or cook in our nearby countryside location.Classes are not demonstrations. At the Culinary Institute of Bologna(CIBO) you receive a true hands-on Italian cooking experience; you actively participate in the class and learn by actually cooking the dishes we prepare. Learn authentic Bolognese dishes from our professional chefs who are employed at local Emilia Romagna restaurants and trattorias. You will work with authentic recipes that have been handed down for centuries. You will perform cooking techniques that will quickly transform you into you into a great Italian cook.Choose from a multitude of cooking lessons. You may decide to take a few hours to a few days of classes, or enjoy a full week of culinary adventure in downtown Bologna and/or the nearby countryside in Ravenna. Select from the list of our Italian cooking courses. Almost every lesson includes a lunch or dinner.Prepare authentic Bolognese cuisine and then enjoy a wonderful meal that you created. CIBO loves amateurs, professionals, students and foodies, everyone is welcome at every level of expertise. Our professional chefs and staff provide instruction in a friendly, relaxed step-by -step instructional manner The staff will share their expert tips, methods and cookery and techniques. Our classes are not demonstrations but rather hands-on cooking classes offer a unique opportunity to learn from the very best!Using our state of the art professional kitchens will assure of learning quickly and effortlessly. Each kitchen is equipped with the latest kitchenware and cooking equipment.. At CIBO your are in the perfect setting in which to improve your cooking skills and have a fun filled culinary experience!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“When in Bologna, Cook as the Bolognans Cook.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

One of the highlights of my trip. I received one on one attention from both Giorgia Lagosti and Stefano Corvucci. They answered all my annoying questions and were very patient. Dishes were paired with local wines. If you calculate the price of a single meal and the experience gained it's totally worth the money. Don't cheat yourself of this experience. I only wish I had someone special to share my creations with. In addition, one of the restaurant chefs helped me with my hostel accommodations for that night.

Visited September 2012

• Korean first
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Best cooking class ever taken”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2012 via mobile

I looked at other cooking classes in Bologna but found the initial help from the CIBO staff for hotels, sights, etc...very accommodating. Also the price competitive. The class was great. Met with Stefano, the owner and head chef at Trattoria della Rosso. Learned how to make fresh tagliatelle and 3 different ragus (lamb, rabbit, and sausage). We then ate like kings with wine. Will definetly go with CIBO again.

1 Thank onthemove777
Wanaka
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A Decision You Won't Regret!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

Just two minutes walk from my Hotel Paradise was Stefano's Cooking School, recommended highly by the staff at the hotel. The hotel staff made enquiries the night before for me. It was so easy!
The following morning I joined Carol who had been to the market with Stefano prior to the class to get ingredients for the sauces. I was able to watch her make the sauces while I made pasta. You do need to take a camera! Stefano was hands on in showing exactly what to do, no NZ short cuts, and suggested I practised making it again in the afternoon when I was doing the Risotto Course. I loved the banter between Stefano and Sara, who makes the beautiful desserts for the restaurant. Four of us sat down at lunch time and scoffed what we had made with a glass of wine and one of Sara's mascarpone and chocolate desserts, so tasty. Warning - beware, it is all so delicious you just can't eat the lot!! Don't even try!

After a short nap back at the hotel I returned for the 3-6pm class to make Risotto. I was amazed at how little ingredients are actually needed to make these tasty dishes. I slaved away all afternoon under Stefano's watchful eye, and practised making my pasta . It was perfect timing. I made 3 delicious/ perfect risottos, no trouble at all. Unfortunately I hadn't realised, that when so much food is made, I could have invited my husband to come and share it. But that didn't stop Stefano and I. I must admit that by this time I was getting pretty full, actually I didn't eat much else for the following day except fruit salad.
This would be a great activity for a group, or as I did, just by yourself.
I agree with the other reviewers, it was a fantastic experience and most enjoyable day.
Stefano even returned my credit card to my hotel! (I was so bemused and full of good food I left it behind.) Professional to the max.

Barbara

hunt valley, md
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Tagliatelle and Three Sauces Cooking Class”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

Fantastic cooking class in the heart of Bologna. Very convenient location and being located in the back of a trattoria where we could watch the preparations for the evening meal was fascinating. The class moved at a perfect pace...we were able to spend the time necessary to not only learn the skills involved in preparing pasta and the 3 sauces but also how to pull everythng together to prepare the meal. Stefano is the perfect teacher, patient and very willing to answer any question about food, the restaurant business, and life in Bologna. Our class was small which made the experience very intimate and definitely very hands on but I'm sure it would be fun with a larger group as well. The dinner that followed, which consisted of the pasta and sauces that we prepared, an antipasta, and very nice wines from the Emilia-Romagna region, was excellent and lasted well beyond the allotted time. I did the evening class from 3-6, which was perfect because it allowed time to explore the city before the class. All in all, a great experience that I highly recommend regardless of your comfort level in the kitchen. I give this class 5 circles without hesitation.

Visited October 2012
“Cooking Classes taught by Chefs!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

I attended a class with CIBO on the 24th August 2012. This was an important decision for me, I'm Australian and you don't get to have a cooking class in Bologna everyday. I had to get it right. And I did. From my first use of the Culinary Institute of Bologna's (CIBO'S) Website, I was impressed by the detail and large choice of cooking classes both in variety of food and also the different time options. It was easy to use and most importantly they answer emails of inquiry promptly.
I booked a half day class learning how to make Capelletti, Tortellini, Stock and Polpettone. Being a fairly confident cook I wanted to learn to make dishes I knew nothing about, and there is a good history of the region explained when you do this class. My Chef was Giorgia and as Stefano was teaching another couple we all interacted and enjoyed the morning, learning also what each other was making. We made fresh pasta and prepared it many ways.
When we finished other chefs brought us lots of courses of the food we had prepared during the morning and this we enjoyed with local wines. It was most enjoyable, and my husband who was sightseeing in the morning was invited back for the feast, which I thought was very kind.
The night before my class my husband and I ate at Stefano's restaurant (at the same address) so I would know where to come to the next morning. The meal was very good, the staff friendly and Stefano came personally to our table when he knew that I was doing the class the following morning, to welcome us and introduce himself. Very professional.
I would highly recommend these classes and also the people, Stefano, Giorgia, and the restaurant staff all very helpful, kind, informative and passionate about food. It was something that I have wanted to do for decades and I was not disappointed.
Be careful some classes are taught by home cooks in Bologna and if that's what you want good, but I wanted to be instructed by professional chefs and I think that the teaching was superior.
Christine, Perth, Australia.