“Tagliatelle and Three Sauces Cooking Class”

CIBO Culinary Institute of Bologna
More attraction details
Owner description: CIBO offers the ultimate Italian cooking experience. Enjoy short, half day or full day classes or a week long culinary adventure. Experience cooking lessons that are taught by professional restaurant chefs, in a fun foodie environment. Join us in downtown, historic Bologna or cook in our nearby countryside location.Classes are not demonstrations. At the Culinary Institute of Bologna(CIBO) you receive a true hands-on Italian cooking experience; you actively participate in the class and learn by actually cooking the dishes we prepare. Learn authentic Bolognese dishes from our professional chefs who are employed at local Emilia Romagna restaurants and trattorias. You will work with authentic recipes that have been handed down for centuries. You will perform cooking techniques that will quickly transform you into you into a great Italian cook.Choose from a multitude of cooking lessons. You may decide to take a few hours to a few days of classes, or enjoy a full week of culinary adventure in downtown Bologna and/or the nearby countryside in Ravenna. Select from the list of our Italian cooking courses. Almost every lesson includes a lunch or dinner.Prepare authentic Bolognese cuisine and then enjoy a wonderful meal that you created. CIBO loves amateurs, professionals, students and foodies, everyone is welcome at every level of expertise. Our professional chefs and staff provide instruction in a friendly, relaxed step-by -step instructional manner The staff will share their expert tips, methods and cookery and techniques. Our classes are not demonstrations but rather hands-on cooking classes offer a unique opportunity to learn from the very best!Using our state of the art professional kitchens will assure of learning quickly and effortlessly. Each kitchen is equipped with the latest kitchenware and cooking equipment.. At CIBO your are in the perfect setting in which to improve your cooking skills and have a fun filled culinary experience!
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Fantastic cooking class in the heart of Bologna. Very convenient location and being located in the back of a trattoria where we could watch the preparations for the evening meal was fascinating. The class moved at a perfect pace...we were able to spend the time necessary to not only learn the skills involved in preparing pasta and the 3 sauces but also how to pull everythng together to prepare the meal. Stefano is the perfect teacher, patient and very willing to answer any question about food, the restaurant business, and life in Bologna. Our class was small which made the experience very intimate and definitely very hands on but I'm sure it would be fun with a larger group as well. The dinner that followed, which consisted of the pasta and sauces that we prepared, an antipasta, and very nice wines from the Emilia-Romagna region, was excellent and lasted well beyond the allotted time. I did the evening class from 3-6, which was perfect because it allowed time to explore the city before the class. All in all, a great experience that I highly recommend regardless of your comfort level in the kitchen. I give this class 5 circles without hesitation.

All reviews
in 16 reviews
"learn how"
in 14 reviews

Reviewed October 23, 2012

I attended a class with CIBO on the 24th August 2012. This was an important decision for me, I'm Australian and you don't get to have a cooking class in Bologna everyday. I had to get it right. And I did. From my first use of the Culinary Institute of Bologna's (CIBO'S) Website, I was impressed by the detail and large choice of cooking classes both in variety of food and also the different time options. It was easy to use and most importantly they answer emails of inquiry promptly.
I booked a half day class learning how to make Capelletti, Tortellini, Stock and Polpettone. Being a fairly confident cook I wanted to learn to make dishes I knew nothing about, and there is a good history of the region explained when you do this class. My Chef was Giorgia and as Stefano was teaching another couple we all interacted and enjoyed the morning, learning also what each other was making. We made fresh pasta and prepared it many ways.
When we finished other chefs brought us lots of courses of the food we had prepared during the morning and this we enjoyed with local wines. It was most enjoyable, and my husband who was sightseeing in the morning was invited back for the feast, which I thought was very kind.
The night before my class my husband and I ate at Stefano's restaurant (at the same address) so I would know where to come to the next morning. The meal was very good, the staff friendly and Stefano came personally to our table when he knew that I was doing the class the following morning, to welcome us and introduce himself. Very professional.
I would highly recommend these classes and also the people, Stefano, Giorgia, and the restaurant staff all very helpful, kind, informative and passionate about food. It was something that I have wanted to do for decades and I was not disappointed.
Be careful some classes are taught by home cooks in Bologna and if that's what you want good, but I wanted to be instructed by professional chefs and I think that the teaching was superior.
Christine, Perth, Australia.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

This is basically a glimpse into a day in the life of a local Italian restaurant. A really fun experience.

I met with Stefano in the afternoon. I was lucky enough to be the only person so I got 1-on-1 training. We walked to buy ingredients and we talked. He's a charismatic guy and funny too. If you go in the morning, he'll take you to the real market, but they were all closed in the afternoon, so he took me to a shop instead. But it's still kind of a cool experience watching him operate. Stefano will ask what you want to make, and he'll also make suggestions based on your tastes. It doesn't have to be on the restaurant menu either.

Stefano was busy that day, so he handed me over to the capable hands of his head chef. He showed me how to make a couple different kinds of pasta. He also explained to me a bit about why the different pastas have different shapes (it's a sauce retention thing). I'm pretty much a beginner, but he was very patient with me, showing me some basics like proper form when cutting.

Once we prepared all the ingredients, we went into the kitchen. This is a real, operating restaurant kitchen. I watched him make 2 different ragus, caramel sauce, duck breast, etc. It's a good learning opportunity watching an experienced cook do his thing and being able to ask him questions.

I had a great time. If you think it's too expensive, consider that you get to eat what you make, which was way too much for a single meal, so I got to take a lot home as well. You also get wine, the apron, and a lot of knowledge. Stefano asked me if I had eaten lunch yet, and I said no, so he let me take some time before we started as a customer, and the meal was on the house.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

Great experience with Stefano, no better way to see Bologna's culinary side. Highly recommended. Started off with a morning market tour and some breakfast where Stefano knew all the local market traders, then back to his restaurant to cook lunch, where he taught us how to make fresh pasta and ragu. Recommended to do in small groups.

See more reviews
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Lured by the great food of Bologna, I stumbled upon the website if CIBO. Not knowing what to expect I arrived to the restaurant/school at 7:30 am to be greeted by two former students who raved about the classes, the instructor and their overall experience. 10 minutes later Stefano arrived, and we were off the the market for shopping and breakfast. What did I want to learn, what did I like, and let's see what looks fresh and good, were our first conversations. Intelligent, charming and interested in what my goals were, clearly marking the tone.
Our class was terrific. Hands on instruction with just enough guidance; he guided us through exactly want we wanted to learn. Sauces, pasta, soup, a main dish and salad. Nothing was too complicated, the end results delicious and worthy of making again. Stefano's mantra stays with me, "go simple." The results are spectacular!
I would recommend CIBO and Stefano to anyone. From the cook who has just a bit of experience to the chef, wanting authentic Italian techniques to bring home. My only regret is not having time to take more classes.