“Great italian food by friendly owners”

Trattoria di Via Serra
Ranked #15 of 2,233 Restaurants in Bologna
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed August 3, 2019 via mobile

Had dinner here twice during our stay in Bologna. It’s a very nice small restaurant that serves some different local dishes that they explain and make with great passion.

This restaurant is definitely worth a stop if you are in Bologna.

Make sure to try the tortellini di bologna, a traditional plate of tortellini!

And you probably need to make a reservation a day or 2 ahead if you are planning to eat here!

Date of visit: August 2019
Write a reviewReviews (2,147)

Reviewed July 25, 2019

OK things go wrong sometimes and we may have been there on a good night but given the positive word of mouth in Bologna and the excellent meal and welcome we received I wonder how anyone could not really enjoy a meal here?
We did need to book (Friday night) but it was worth it. A quirky little building but with a warm and welcoming staff in one of the parts of Bologna that is not well-developed and keeps some of the charm of a real working quarter.
Most of all the food from the fresh bread through the pasts to the puds was excellent, well explained and presented and I would certainly visit again next time I am lucky enough to be in Bologna.

2  Thank arnottdavies
Reviewed July 23, 2019

First off do not let the poor reviews steer you away from attempting to get a reservation!

Me and my husband were privileged enough to be staying at an airbnb less than 50m from the restaurant. After reading reviews all day and being discouraged, I decided to walk over and speak with the owner.

I approached the restaurant at 6:45 and was promptly greeted by the owner who informed me they were all booked, after further discussion about when they would have availability, he informed me they would have a two person table from 7-9pm. I was thrilled.

I have worked in restaurants for years, let me tell you, when you have a chance to be picky about who eats your food, you're going to be picky. It has nothing to do with you as a person, it's a vibe. Luckily, my polite and congenial attitude from the get go got us through the door.

After that the food was sublime, the owner walked us through every dish. Explained in detail the passion and products used in every dish. We had every special dish he had to offer, the house wine is a natural wine and delicious. Dessert was divine. To finish the meal, the owner offered us a pour of their homemade dessert liquor.

From start to finish this was a perfect experience of the culture and food of Bologna.
Brava

2  Thank Emily B
Reviewed July 13, 2019 via mobile

We decided to attempt showing up without a booking on a Friday evening, which seemed risky given that didn't turn up until 25 minutes after opening but we were very lucky & got 1 of the last 2 tables available for groups of 2. All groups after that were turned away.. & there were plenty!

The menu was patiently explained with plenty of specials of the day. We ordered tagliatelle Ragu & the special whole-wheat pasta with mushrooms, along with 0.25L of house red. The wine arrived very promptly, closely followed by the pasta. Everything was well seasoned & a joy to eat, for only €31 for 2.

The only surprise at the end was the €2.50 per person 'Coperto' which is effectively a service charge. However we were really happy with the friendly service (& were never rushed) so would have happily added a tip anyway!!

1  Thank SuzeyQ101
Reviewed June 28, 2019 via mobile

This restaurant is a really good one, with really tasty dishes. We were here yesterday for lunch, we were 13, and we all enjoyed our food, the service , everything. I took pictures only at the desserts unfortunately. Very good, keep it up!

Date of visit: June 2019