“totally worthy”

11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“totally worthy”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

The idea is to get up there, not to just visit the basilica!
People from Bologna often do it as a promise, something like "If I pass the exam I'll walk up to San Luca", but from the number of people you can meet during the walk, you can guess there are not only promises to keep here but also fitness practise, weekly habits, picnics grouping and a lot of turism of course.
It's a 3.5 km walk, totally worthy! It's not too difficult, except for the last bit, where you find a lot of steps. Generally it's a long nice walk under an old (and not well ketp) covered path that you can take on a rainy day as well.
The view from the top of the hill is nice and there's a bar to get refreshed if you need. The church in itself is small but pretty and you can visit behind the main altar, when it's open.
Compare to the way up, the way down takes few minutes!
You can of course drive up the church as well, if you can't walk that much. I think there's a bus running as well, but I'm not 100% sure.

Visited January 2013

36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“You need to be fit!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013

We took a taxi up...but attempted to walk back....waaaay longer than it appears on maps and lots of step...that being said we were there on a spectacularly beautiful day and the views were amazing and the church lovely.

Visited December 2012
Wexford, Ireland
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“great view on sunny day”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

never see so unique arts, so many people visiting this holy place, can see Bologna city view when sunny day

Visited January 2013
Aiken, SC
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Don't miss this”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

A great walk under porticos with tremendous views to the basilica which we had seen on the hilltop as we came into town. Really worth doing.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank Curnutte
Tempe, AZ
78 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 79 helpful votes
“Lovely church in the clouds”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012

We found out going to the church that the Italians do not use the word "fog" and when our driver asked what it meant, my husband said "low clouds". He responded "clouds are clouds." Anyway, we enjoyed the interesting uphill climb in the taxi & it never cleared enough for us to get the stellar views we were hoping to see. I suggest a later time of day (we went about 10am). We took the walk down the 666 porticoes & 300 steps and I have to tell you for an inexperienced walker, it was long & tiring. We ate at a wonderful place on the way down & walked the rest of the way to portico1 and then to our B&B. I was as close to exhausted as I've ever been. So if you chose to do the walk get some long distance walking in first. It's a little over 3.7 miles from the last portico to the first. You can catch the #20 bus & that would have made sense, but we're not always sensible. There's a surprising amount of stuff to see in the porticoes even with the clouds. Villas, chapels, alcoves with dedications, etc. You'll meet some intrepid athletes & even some normal folks out for a stroll. If I lived there I'd be tempted to add it to my normal work-a-day, maybe 100 porticoes at a time.

Visited October 2012