“Charming, well kept and well presented. A 'must' on your programme.”

Basilica di San Domenico
Book In Advance
More Info
$85.44*
and up
Private Tour: Ecclesiastical Heritage of Bologna
Ranked #12 of 344 things to do in Bologna
Reviewed May 1, 2013

Unlike San Petronio, the Basilica of San Domenico has excellent information panels about its history and the story of the Dominican Order, whose founder (San Domenico) lies in a beautiful tomb in a side chapel. The tomb is partly the work of Michelangelo, then just a young man of 19 years. Our visit to San Domenico was one of the real highlights of our stay in Bologna. Don't miss it.

1  Thank JMEdQ

Reviewed March 25, 2013

Very nice church... not so easy to find the sculptures made by young Michel Angelo... they are half way through on the right hand side of the church.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

I went here to see sculptures by Michelangelo. The church felt special as there were not many tourists. There is so much history and architecture to explore in the church. If you can, have some guide book that helps you explore each portion of the church. That helps make your visit a better experience. You only need to pay a small donation to see some parts of the church. The staff person cleaning the church acted as a special guide for me to see the Michelangelo and other sculptures he was proud of. I am glad we stopped here.

2  Thank noreenz_77
Reviewed December 25, 2012

If you are visiting in the winter, beware the evil, mid-day closing hours which are prime time for the sun. If you are viewing after they reopen in the afternoon, it will already be rather dark and budget restraints or whatever mean that there are no overhead lights. The only way you will be able to see the side chapels, including St. Dominic's tomb with the Michelangelo statuary, is by putting in your 20 or 50 cents to illuminate it.

The highlight for me were the choir stalls in the back of the church (pay 20 cents to go through the turnstile on the side). The woodwork inlay is amazing ... if you can see it.

2  Thank miznina
Reviewed November 12, 2012

While I can appreciate the balance needed between tourists and those seeking a religious experience, I seem to remember and enjoy places that allow photographs (maybe I need that interaction for memory's sake), so while I did think this church was interesting, I can't really remember significant things to see. We paid the extra and explored the cloisters and choir, however, and in looking at my photographs, I remember the sense of peace and calm and the beautiful garden in the cloister. Worth a visit if you are in Bologna.

1  Thank Letterpress