“charming cafe in beautiful location”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Caffe Sette Chiese

Caffe Sette Chiese
Ranked #1,422 of 1,807 Restaurants in Bologna
Cuisines: Italian, Cafe, Bar
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Drinks, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Rome, Italy
“charming cafe in beautiful location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2014

The view itself is worth four stars, as from the terrace you can see the San Stefano church complex as well as the elegant porticoes of the apartment buildings along the piazza, which is very quiet and used as a children's playground, with only rare cars or mopeds troubling the silence.
Yes, one of the older waiters is very slow and occasionally forgetful, but he means well, and while enjoying Bologna one should make allowances for its pace. Yes, drinks are expensive but they come with an assortment of nibbles that's almost a meal in itself: raw vegetable sticks on ice, skewers of cherry tomatoes with mozzarella and sausage, frittata (cold herb omelette), tomato bruschetta and olives. In our case we also got an extra plate of watermelon to make up for the waiter having initially forgotten my drink.
It's a perfect place to relax and enjoy the view but if you're in a rush, sure, avoid it.

• Visited July 2014

• Greek first
  • Polish first
Aarhus, Denmark
“Awful”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2014

We stopped by one afternoon for a nice, relaxing drink and some fresh fruit, but ended up with a very unpleasant surprise.

The waiter was constantly ignoring several of the guests, including us, and we noticed the guests at several tables had to call for him 2-3-4 times, before he reacted. He moved about slowly, almost as if sleep-walking. The time we had to wait between literally everything was absolutely crazy..:

From we sat to he came to our table, from we asked for the menu, to the menu came. From we got the menu till he came to take our order. From we ordered till we got our drinks. From we got our drinks till the 20 or so cubes of mediocre pineapple and melon arrived. We sat there for more than an hour, and for more than the first half of that time, our table was empty...

The prices were extremely high as well - furthermore, because we sat at a table, everything costed 1 € more than listed in the menu. That fact may have been hidden in a tiny footnote somewhere, but come on - why not make it clear and avoid giving your guests a bad surprise when the bill comes?

Prices were 6 € for a 250 cl Fanta; 6 € for a rather small glass of cut out fruits; 7 € for a glass of gewürtzraminer; 2,50 € for a 50cl bottle of water. 21,50€ for that? This is Piazza Stefano, Bologna. Not Piazza dell'Duomo, Milan or Piazza di Spagna, Rome...

Horrible service, horrible prices. We felt very cheated and left in a worse mood than we arrived. A shame for the location is wonderful and it has all the possibilities of being a quality establishment, but we shall definitely not return for the remaining 2 months of our stay in Bologna!

• Visited June 2014
Oxford, United Kingdom
“daylight robbery”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2014

On Sunday 16th March, my family and I met up with friends at the Caffe Sette Chiese in Bologna. We were five people - we each had one cup of coffee, then a drink each: two proseccos, a beer and two spritzes. I went inside to pay and was asked for 61 euros (9 euros for a prosecco, 2.50 for an expresso and 3.50 for a cappuccino). As we were treating our friends and had only just arrived in Italy, I paid. When I asked around later I discovered that the prices were out of all proportion and that we, as English tourists, had been taken firmly to the cleaners. How sad. In a centrally located, touristy area one might expect this but this bar is slightly off the beaten track and I was taken completely by surprise at such treatment.

• Visited March 2014
2 Thank mrsunderhill
UK
“Confusion”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2013

While In Bologna I had excellent coffee and a pastry for a very modest price and very friendly service at this coffee shop. So I have been surprised at the awful reviews I have seen on Trip Advisor. It didn't seem geared up for meals (which other reviewers describe as poor and over priced). Are there perhaps several outlets with the same name getting mixed up here? The place I went to was good and I don't recognise what I am reading from other reviewers.

• Visited October 2013
London
“Expensive...but worth it, (just).”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

Our first visit was for a quick coffee, before visiting Santa Stefano but I noticed that the café was open quite late. So we returned one evening for a drink.

The outside tables have one of the nicest views in Bologna and, (along with EVERY other café on Italy with nice views), they charge for it. The drinks, (2xG&T, 3xSpritz plus a coffee and grappa), came to €54. That’s expensive for sure but one of the reasons we came to Italy, was for the café culture and the views.

The drinks were very good by the way, with large measure of gin and good quality sprtitz but it was the nibbles supplied that went some way to justifying the price. As well as the usual crisps (chips) and nuts, there was a large plate of savoury pastries. I have to be honest, I’ve had better pastries…much better. However, with the second round of drinks came a large bowl of sliced and peeled fresh fruit – delicious. When we ordered the third and final round, a small plate with two sweet tartlets, (one jam, one Nutella), was brought out – they were really lovely.

So whilst it was undeniably expensive, the view, the excellent service and the complimentary nibbles went some way to justifying the price. When we left, every table was occupied, so they can’t be doing that bad.

• Visited September 2013