“OK but not 4*”

Zanhotel Tre Vecchi
Ranked #58 of 102 Hotels in Bologna
Reviewed January 9, 2014

This hotel was ok. The location was good. The interior could do with updating. Main issues were no free internet access after 1 hour (and even the paid internet had very low signal in my room meaning it took ages to do anything, including taking 3 attempts and 15 minutes to post this review! Frustrating). There was also no room service available, according to the receptionist, even though in the hotel guide there is a (albeit very restricted) menu. There is no gym either. The room was also quite small.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Tillyecl

Reviewed November 7, 2013

As I put three stars, I was quite generous to this hotel, maybe because I stay there often during my business trips. The best is its location right in the heart of all Bologna´s arcades in centre. And I also like the style of this hotel the typical italian look. The rooms are allright although the hotel definitely needs a renovation. Also the breakfest offers a satysfying choice. But I must say that what is really poor about this hotel is the service provided by the staff. During the breakfest you can´t find clean plates, nobody´s on the bar if you wish to take something to drink in the hotel and they should care more about the hotel in general. Eg a very inconvenient problem was that the lock from my room didn´t work, I had problems everytime when I wanted to open the room and as I saw I wasn´t the only one in the hotel because my neighour had the same problem to open the door from his room with the card.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 28, 2013

I had previously stayed at the Regina next door, but wanted to try a four star in the Zanhotel chain. BIG MISTAKE. Although the Tre Vecchi is a four star hotel, the experience was not up to the level you would expect. We had to change rooms three times before we could get the accommodations we had requested. Because of the time of the year (autumn), the air conditioning was turned off and the heat was on, so the only way to keep cool on 70 degrees days was to open your window. If you were on the main street side, there was noise 24 hours a day. The internet connection was weak and spotty, you had to renew every hour. The hotel was in need of some repairs, but it looked as if those repairs would take place next year. Parking was 20 euro per day, but that was not in/out; if you went somewhere during the day, you paid for each in/out. The breakfast menu was somewhat limited compared to other hotels I have stayed in over the past few years in the same area. When I return, I will not stay here.

Room Tip: Don't go in autumn. Noisy rooms if you have to open the windows.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank George N
Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

Except for the location on the Main Street and walking distance to the train station and there is not much value in staying here. Rather the adjacent sister hotels are cheaper
Not much variety in breakfast either
Rooms are small but ok.
Not recommended to spend the same amount elsewhere for more value in return

Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I had been staying in this hotel for the 2nd time. Main reason for selecting this hotel was its central position and the fact that through Internet I found quite a good deal. My single room was small and probably needed renovation however both the bed and the bathroom reasonably confortable. Since I spent only the one night the quality of the room was not essential. Be aware that rooms facing "piazza 8 agosto" may be noisy at night particularly during the week-ends. Breakfast is not particularly rich however you can ask for a coffee or a cappucino at the counter (included). Wifi worked well in my room however apparently only 1 hour per day is allowed. It is not very clear how to disconnect in case you wish to use your hour not in a single shot, however at the front desk I was told that in case I could get another hour for free( this was not my case anyway). Last note about the parking (if you come by car). The underground parking piazza 8 agosto is very close however it is expensive and tends to be completely full on week-end. I normally choose parking "via Riva Reno: it is still at a reasonably walking distance but is much less crowded and much cheaper

Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 10, 2013

I booked 2 single rooms online (there was no other rooms available) for a 2 night stay at a horrific cost of €246 per night per person. Given that it claimed to be a 4 star hotel (I always stay at 4 stars) I thought it would be of an exceptional standard given the tariff. On arrival we were greeted by an unfriendly receptionist who just checked us in and issued the keys and said nothing else. One would expect at least a few directions, perhaps to your room!!! And perhaps about breakfast etc but no, nothing. We found our rooms and were horrified to find damp walls with stains, unsightly hairs in the bathroom, dated decor with mismatched furniture, extremely basic standard, minimal towels, nothing to put on the floor after a shower, and a tea towel for the face. Having always stayed in a minimum rating of 4 star hotels including Bologna, this was beyond acceptable. We went down to complain and were told no other rooms were available until perhaps the next day and the receptionist kept avoiding my comments about the room and continued to say " but you booked a single room" yes, but not one that is if a 2 stat standard. We were told to enquire the next day. The following day I reminded them for a change of our rooms and that I was not happy paying €500 for the 2 single rooms and that I wanted them to address it with the manager whom incidentally was never available. When we returned to the hotel that evening we had new rooms which were doubles but if the same standard, and I reminded the receptionist that when I come to check out the next morning I did not want confusion at the desk about the fees for the single rooms because they were of a very low standard with a 4-5 star price tag. The receptionist assured me that he would address it with the manager. Sure enough the next morning upon check out I was asked to pay the tax fees and I kept asking to see the total to which the receptionist would yes, I will give you the total but there is a fee to pay for the tax. I paid this and he then presented me with the bill. The bill was unchanged and when I questioned it he simply said " you booked online, the fee was already paid , we can't do anything about it" absolute robbery, dishonest, no care for customer compliant and rude. Being a regular traveller booking online or not, money is taken out upon your check out and not before. Having complained again he got his colleague to come whom just said " well , they booked single rooms" i asked him " who rated this hotel 4 star"? and he said " i don't know" !!!completely ignorant, unfriendly and in denial about the points I had made. I left the hotel disgusted and asked for the managers name to whom I will write to but first I thought a trip advisor honest & truthful comment was well deserved to stop others from visiting this hotel. If you are a regular traveller and are used to 4 star standards AVOID this hotel. There is nothing about it other than location but then there are plenty other great hotels in the same and better location. I paid €1000 for a 2 night stay I should not have paid more than half this. Never again and to the Manager Mr Tinarelli who never came to speak to me and ignored my complaints, I will be writing to you soon as you did not address the issues.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank LondonHighstandards
Reviewed October 8, 2013

We stay 5 nights at Tre Vecchi in Bologna - wonderfully located to enjoy a great 'walking' city. Staff and very helpful and friendly. Décor is gorgeous, breakfasts are good. In all can highly recommend this boutique hotel for his location and ambience.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends