“Central, secure family run hotel...great value!”
Review of Albergo Centrale

Albergo Centrale
Ranked #24 of 102 Hotels in Bologna
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Really clean & well kept plus is central to shopping, restaurants etc & just a €7 taxi from the train station. I felt safe in this area, it was well lit & nice & quiet too!

Staff were very helpful...only thing is that there is no wifi included but they were accommodating here too & gave me a 1 day pass for 2 days which cost €5...not too bad & connection was good.

I would recommend this hotel, great value for money.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Albergo Centrale

Reviewed October 20, 2013

In the middle of the city centre and a three minut walk from the famous Piazza Maggiore this is a perfect place the explore the city. It is "just" a two star place, but it looks fresh and pleasant, and the rooms are all and more what you may expect from even a three star place.
The hotel is located on the third and forth floor of a building and maybe a bit hard to find. However it is all very accessible.
The breakfast is for italian meaning very rich, even with ready to take (mini) sandwiches.
We payed a 100 euro per night for a double, but listprices in the hotel are way higher.

Room Tip: The main streets around the hotel do not allow cars. Taxis may stop in the little street where the m...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank HaraldvanderWeel
Reviewed October 9, 2013

The hotel is situated within the city centre and under 5 minutes from the Piazza Maggiore. It was easy to follow the instructions given for taking the bus over to it from the train station, but I suggest a taxi might make life a bit easier.

The rooms were spacious and clean, with wooden floors. The beds were comfortable. The bathroom is more of a wet room with a curtain separating the shower. We ended up having a bit of a flood after two people had their showers in the morning.

The breakfast is plentiful and great. Endless supplies of everything in the continental style, including cold cuts, fresh pastries, cereals and yoghurts.

Wifi available at €5/24 hours. Did not work too well in our room, but there are a few lounge areas to sit around in.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay here and would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 3, 2013

I was pleasantly surprised with this hotel. I had expected to be dissapointed based on the reviews I'd read, but I was not. The lift was inded working while we were there. However, when we opened the door to our room we found one bed instead of two. This was a mix-up on their part (which they remedied) and comp'd us wi-fi for the trouble. We had a decent sized room with our own bathroom and a great view over the tops of the buildings (the view turns pink at sunset, its great). For the life of me I can't recall our room number, but we were one flight up, turn left, and turn left again. That probably is not immensely helpful...but hey, lol.

The location was ideal, nothing was longer than a ten minute walk for us. A farmacia is right across the street if you need anything and the bus stop (if you take a bus from the rail station) is very close as well.

Breakfast is a large spread of mostly sugary carbs - the italians love their cornetti - but there is also juice and fruit and yogurts available.

Other pertinent details? The water pressure was fantastic. The cable box came equipped with a remote you could reset a show from 'italian' to 'original programming' and watch tv in english (press the italic "i" button). A/C was also appreciated.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 18, 2013

I recently stayed at the Albergo Centrale and agree with other reviewers that the location is excellent: central, walking distance to most sites, yet very quiet.

I didn't find the service nearly as warm and friendly as other hotels I've visited in Italy. While this isn't a huge issue for me, it was quite noticeable given the other very hospitable experiences I've had elsewhere. As previous reviewers mentioned, the lift was not working (though a porter helped me with my suitcase), and it wasn't fixed during my stay. I didn't have a problem going up and down stairs (without my luggage) but for some travellers this would pose a problem.

The breakfast buffet was indeed huge, but in some ways the selection wasn't the greatest in terms of quality - a lot of sugary pastries etc. (and processed cheese in plastic wrap, kind of a disappointment in Bologna). Some hotels have a far smaller breakfast, but more fresh overall.

My room was clean, but quite small and dark. I found the mattress a little uncomfortable - could feel the springs poking out. However, the ceilings were the highest I've seen in a hotel room, a feature I liked.

I think the value is quite good for this hotel's location and I would recommend it if you're not overly particular about all the other things!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Aleya A
Reviewed September 16, 2013

My review and photos are of the hotel's single "budget room" with external bathroom. (Yes, I was looking for an inexpensive stay in Bologna for 7+ nights, and this met my criteria.) Overall, I'd rate my stay at Albergo Centrale around 3.5 stars; just short of being 'very good', but definitely better than average!

The hotel's location is excellent, only a few minutes walk to Piazza Maggiore and another couple of minutes to the Due Torri. Naturally, you are also close to a range of shopping, restaurant, transport and bank (ATM) option. Pretty much a perfect spot!

The room itself exceeded expectations. The bed was comfortable, there was a small TV, an ample wardrobe, and a wash basin. Towels were provided. The shared bathroom was never occupied in my entire period there, and it was kept very clean and tidy. The cleaning staff at the hotel do a pretty amazing job, they are hard-working ladies. The only issue I had with the room was the temperature; it was still pretty warm in September, and the room's small (old) aircon unit struggled to keep the room cool at night. The heating system (not used, naturally) appeared to be more reliable, if you're planning to stay during winter.

Breakfast was extensive and Italian-themed. There were also a couple of lounge rooms where you could relax a bit. There was a charge for wifi (8 Euros for each 7 days). The elevator broke down during my stay, which made the walk up three (actually four) flights of stairs useful exercise after a day of eating and drinking in the wonderful city of Bologna.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 16, 2013

The hotel was in a great location, close to piazza maggiore and independence street which was good for shopping.
We were in a good sized room which was clean and the air conditioning was good.
The breakfast was cold buffet with lots of pastries and rolls, not for the slimmer !
The lift was being repaired when we arrived but a porter helped us with luggage. It wasn't able to be repaired for the duration of our trip. We managed ok but it was very tough at times. Over a hundred steps. Not for the faint hearted, seniors or disabled.
Hopefully it is now fixed.
The staff were courteous and friendly and one of the receptionists was very helpful in phoning around good restaurants on sat eve to get us a reservation.
On the whole would go back there as long as lift was working.

Room Tip: Ask in box when booking for what you want.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends