“Charming Hotel with Helpful Staff”

Hotel Porta San Mamolo
Ranked #10 of 104 Hotels in Bologna
Portland, Oregon
“Charming Hotel with Helpful Staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

This is a charming and comfortable hotel to stay on a trip to Italy. The reception and breakfast staff are friendly and helpful. Always willing to answer your questions and give you tips to enjoy your visit to their lovely city, Bologna. The rooms are basic but comfortable and quaint and have the charm of Italian culture. What more do you want on a trip to explore the culture and friendliness of the Italians. It was centrally located and close to good restaurants. Lots of walking but that's what we enjoy on our trips to Italy. I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Bologna. We were here in December and felt very comfortable and warm in the hotel. The gardens are very relaxing after a day in the city.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2013 via mobile

Full praise for the staff, they were so welcoming, helpful and professional.
Thank you to Paula for her wonderful cakes, home made daily, we looked forward to them for breakfast each morning
The staff at the reception desk couldn't have been more helpful, especially Elisa for helping us choose restaurants, which were excellent on each occasion.
Roberto, the owner deserves great praise for running such an excellent establishment.
Thank you from PJ and Mary MacGabhann, Dublin, Ireland

• Stayed February 2013
Hendersonville, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

Do not miss this hotel in Bologna. Being innkeepers ourselves, we can appreciate the cozy accommodations, the refreshing personalities of the staff, and of course, its location. Stayed 4 nights in February where we met our daughter and her family who flew in. Our room had a balcony overlooking the common courtyard. Let the staff recommend you restaurants and their favourite gelateria. Ah, the wine! Try the Sangiovese, their own brand (Conde).

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank melange8
Cheshire, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

We booked this hotel our last night in Italy. We were staying with relatives in Monte San Giusto but wanted to be closer to the Venice Airport our last day. We blindly chose Bologna (another wonderful surprise) as being halfway to the airport and my husband chose the Porta San Manolo for accommodations. GPS got us to the front door of the hotel without any major problems. From the minute we arrived, we felt at home. The Hotel management spoke english and (I believe it was Roberto) who helped my husband find a parking spot. We were led thru a beautiful outside garden to our room. Once we got to our room (myself, husband and two daughters) we were completely impressed. We had a suite (pull-out couch for girls in sitting room) and bedroom for husband and myself. It was large and spacious and decorated beautifully. The bathroom was large and very nice. The hotel management gave us directions to the Square and later that evening, suggested a local restaurant for us (they even called the restaurant!). The next morning we had breakfast at the hotel and it was a wonderful experience. We ate in a room that is in the center of the outside garden. It was cozy and beautiful and the food was delicious. It was a buffet, but still exceptional. The only one item that I did not like was that the cleaning staff used a perfumed cleaning powder in the rooms. It was a little overpowering when we entered our room. this was not a big deal and what I would like to stress to travelers is how friendly and accommodating the management of the hotel was to us. They treated us like family. Overall, it was a wonderful experience and we wish we had booked more time in Bologna.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank Graye N
Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

Stayed at this hotel late November 2012. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. It's located outside the main square... less than 15 minute-walk. Breakfast was good. The staff were very nice, friendly, and helpful. There are some really good restaurants nearby. Also close to bus stops. Internet works well. The only complaint I had was the thin walls. We could hear people next door very well. Overall, our stay was great!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank christinep25
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

I feel terrible not writing a review sooner as this hotel deserves a great write up. I stayed here in June for a few days with friends as I had a wedding to go to in the city.

I have stayed in many, many hotels round the world (mostly 5 star), and this one is in my top 3 for service. So, the hotel isn't particularly glamorous and needs a total refurbishment - the decoration is dreadful but it is very clean and tidy. The main attraction here is that the hotel is small and cosy and the staff and the service was TOP class - the sort of standard you get at a 5 star hotel.

My friends car broke down and the hotel staff arranged a garage to come and help them pick the car up and get it fixed, my dress had got dirty in transit on the plane and they managed to locate a dry cleaner last minute. I needed hair pins half an hour before the wedding and no shops had them so they sent me to a hairdressers round the corner who gave me some for free. They arranged transport for us throughout our stay, basically, I felt I was quite demanding as I had got to the city totally disorganised and the staff here did all they could to make my stay as relaxing as possible. Nothing I asked was too dramatic but I felt like I was asking them for things every two minutes and felt a bit bad about disturbing them all the time, but they were only too happy to help and were absolutely charming.

I would reccommend this hotel to anyone. It is central, perfect location, small, clean with great staff. Who cares about decoration...you just need good service.

Thank you for making my stay so relaxing.

Room Tip: Get a room over looking the courtyard.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank C M
bonn
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

I stayed at the Hotel Porta San Mamolo for a second time in October and I`ve again enjoyed my stay. Everyone was friendly and helpful again so it felt a bit like coming home.
The days started with a lovely breakfast in the garden under a big tree.
It´s only a short but nice walk to the city centre and there are some really good Italian restaurants nearby.
I hope to come back in May - Bologna is a fantastic city for a short weekend getaway ...

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the courtyard on the first floor!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends