“A genuine welcome”

Ranked #11 of 103 Hotels in Bologna
Victoria Australia
“A genuine welcome”
Reviewed November 27, 2012

We travelled by train to Bologna and then a taxi to this hotel, observing what Bologna had to offer along the way. Once we arrived at this edge of town hotel, we were greeted with a genuine welcome from the very courteous staff. Our room overlooked the inner courtyard. Plenty of room and brightly decorated, the only down-side was the very hard bed (but again, this is Italy and so difficult to have a bed of pure comfort in any establishment). Such a pretty oasis in a quiet part of town and because we love walking it was no problem negotiating our way back and forth from and to the centre of this wonderful city of Bologna. Yes, I would stay again. The room was very comfortable with plenty of space and a wonderfully large window with a fabulous outlook. The brekky was good, the coffee was excellent and I must comment on the crockery. It was very pretty!! The brekky room has a great outlook all glassed in, a little squeezy at times, but again the staff are so lovely, they make your stay a highlight. The garden is a delight as well. Great value. Thank you again to the staff for a memorable stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SusanP196
condelloroberto, General Manager at Hotel Porta San Mamolo, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Dear friend
from me and my all staff....thank you for your nice review,as i say many times its a pleasure to serve our guest and for us is not just a job but its our job and we try to do it in the best way.
Best Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Turkish first
NYC
Reviewed November 26, 2012

This a very comfortable hotel for your stay in Bologna. The service is very corteous and the rooms are clean and comfortable. The breakfast is varied, fresh and the coffee is made on the spot - very good! The hotel staff even helped me fix the TV signal in the middle of the night and they also have bikes that you can borrow to take a tour around the city. Its on the other side of the city from the train station so if that is a concern you should look at another place, otherwise this place is great!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank lscsNYC
condelloroberto, General Manager at Hotel Porta San Mamolo, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Dear friend, really thank you for your l review,
We are delighted to receive good feedback from our guests and there is also pleased to receive any suggestions for improving our services, you are correct if one looks for an hotel near the station ,then it can not come to us, because we are in the old city the most beautiful downtown area of ​​bologna the truest, and that our guests like you appreciate it very much.
On behalf of myself and all my staff Merry Christmas
East Anglia
Reviewed November 26, 2012

For a couple of old f*rts, this place ticks most boxes - price, comfort, location and service. I very rarely rate anywhere 5/5. Read the negative reviews first. I did, and found them lacking in truth.

We arrived too early but there was no problem and were shown 2 rooms to choose from. Bags were promptly delivered (no tip expected - unusual). Even when we opened the windows there was no noise from the street. Sleep was good in 6ft wide firmish bed. Very clean with good in house service (bottle of wine delivered to the room). Towels changed daily.
Some people seem to think the location is a bit edgy. It is nothing of the sort. It is simply in an ungentrified area where ordinary people actually still live! There are 2 quiet restaurants within 30 yards of the hotel entrance. (see Le Mura). The main piazza is a 10-15 minute amble away, about half along a pedestrian only street. There is some graffiti but this is an Italian university town and seems to be quite normal. Supposedly the oldest university in Europe, you will pass some striking examples of 15/16th century architecture on the walk to the piazza.
Even at the end of November we were able to enjoy a beer or coffee at one of the many options. Fleece or jacket is needed!
Breakfast is the usual buffet with a vast selection of breads, fruit, meats, cheese, eggs etc. Coffee is excellent - my personal benchmark for any establishment - and unlimited.
This hotel scores 5* for quality of service by the front of house. The desk was ALWAYS attended. Their advice was first class and booking taxis or restaurants was no trouble at all.
Their English language is embarrassingly good. As typical Brits we made almost no effort!!
Another gripe I have seen is regarding the price paid for a room. Without talking figures, I was slightly suspicious about it being so cheap! If you think the booking companies are too expensive, contact the hotel direct!

Room Tip: All the rooms are different. So talk to the hotel direct.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ChooksonTour
Dear friend, what can I say about your review? Thousand times thank you, when I started working with my staff I tried to make them understand that our hotel had to be different, that we had to be different, and try to understand what our guests needs and help them to spend their holidays in bologna so quiet, i really hope to see you again our guests in bologna
Best wishes and a Merry Christmas
Reviewed November 21, 2012 via mobile

We booked this hotel in haste, purely based on positive reviews on TA and without doing any research into Bologna.
While the hotel itself is lovely and the service was great, it is located in a fairly dinghy, dark side street and in an area which I would not not feel comfortable walking around in by myself at night. It's a good 10-15 minute walk to the city square, and on the opposite side of town to the university district where all the nightlife is. As a young couple, this did not suit us - hence the average review.
The walls are very thin, too. You can hear everything happening outside as clearly as if it's in your room and as I went to bed all I could hear was some kind of motor or generator whirring on and off every minute.

• Stayed November 2012
Dear guest thank you for your review about our hotel, you are right we are not in the middle of the nightlife this is an advantage for a hotel, all my colleagues who have hotels in the "nightlife" received a lot of criticism from the guests because can not sleep for the noise too, but maybe in your case you had to choose a hotel near the university area where people go to sleep at four in the morning, the next time you come to Bologna please contact me and i will be happy to suggest different hotel to stay.
best regards
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 19, 2012

A small hotel close to the very centre of Bologna. You will not see the place on a main road but look for it!! A small but pleasant place with a lovely garden that looks impossible to be found there! If you are planning a week end or a long one make it sure you check this place out!! 2 min walk from Piazza Maggiore.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear friend thank you for your nice review about our hotel is always nice and gratifying to receive positive feedback from our guests, this helps us to improve more, from me and all my staff thank you very much
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 19, 2012

I do not understand why everybody is raving about this place. It is a reasonable (if somewhat pricey) place to stay in Bologna - that's it! The one thing that did stand out to me were the walls: we could hear the bedtime story that a father was reading to his son in the next room. The charming thought of serving breakfast in the courtyard may work when it's warm but creates a hopelessly crammed experience when temperatures drop. The highlight is the reception staff, always friendly, helpful, smiley. Clearly, there must be better places in Bologna?

Room Tip: make sure you are not in the main building but in one of the rooms surrounding the courtyard.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Friend
thank you for taking your time to wright a review,and congratulation for discovering our secret...reading story to our guest children its including in the hotel service ...im joking,we never say that this is the best hotel of bologna,but for sure its the real one,about the walls you can be right for some of our rooms, because we are talking about a building that is 600(yes sixhundred)years old,and this is tha charmant part of our hotel for sure i would love to do something but did you ever try to talk with the department of Art in Italy? when a building its under protection of Art department are untouchable,about our breakfast room you are again right its to small for the number of guest we have,thats way we are try to find a solution but the bureaucracy in Italy its really slow.
in any case, I am sorry that we failed to meet your expectations,hope you can give us another chance
My best Regards
western Mass
Reviewed November 15, 2012

The Porta San Mamolo is a wonderful hotel, the room, courtyard, and dining areas are clean and very attractive to the eye. But the draw of this hotel is the staff and service. Our flight was delayed by 4 hours from NY and the airline lost our luggage. Roberto and his staff found us a great restaurant to eat and made us feel at home. Our luggage was waiting for us the next day. Our last night in Bologna we had reservations at Osteria Al 15 (the only place to go in Bologna for fantastic food and alot of fun by the way). We were led by Agostino through the back of the hotel and down an alley to the restaurant. He introduced us to the owner, who took great care of us all night.

I could not recommend this hotel more.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank EL_Pacer
condelloroberto, General Manager at Hotel Porta San Mamolo, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Dear friend, I remember you very well and I'm really happy for the wonderful review about the Hotel Porta San Mamolo, this motivates us to do better and better day by day, I hope to have you soon again here in bologna and i wish you Merry Christmas from me and my staff