“Noisiest hotel in Italy”
Review of University Hotel

University Hotel
Ranked #48 of 104 Hotels in Bologna
Highland Park NJ
“Noisiest hotel in Italy”
Reviewed May 15, 2012

There are 70,000 students in Bologna. This hotel is in the middle of the university area. The students carouse in the streets until 4:00 when the weather is warm. The hotel does not have any internal rooms where you are safe. I have heard that the Accademia is just as bad.

Room Tip: There are no internal rooms.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Kothar

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Houston
Reviewed April 27, 2012

Although this is an older hotel, I found the public spaces and guestrooms to be clean, well maintained, and a great value. The staff is uniformly knowledgeable, helpful, and cheery.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Jim S
Australia
Reviewed November 1, 2011

I stayed here twice, the first time I extended my booking 1 day, the second time I extended 2 days.... that should say something.
I enjoyed my stay here, the room was nice, both times.
I left behind a valuable item the first time, I rang that day and they kept it at the front counter for me.
The WiFi was reliable right through the hotel.
The Reception staff were always friendly and helpful.
The neighbourhood was interesting and varied, quite safe, of course.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank JaiDeeHawk
Amsterdam
Reviewed October 30, 2011

We chose the University hotel because it was fairly central so we could walk out to the centre + to the restaurants. Reviews on TripAdvisor did mention it could get noisy, because it is in the going out centre (actually our girlie neighbours were more of a nuisance than the people on the street. But compared to other hotels, this was the only one at an affordable rate in the centre. As we drove our a car from Amsterdam, this way we could park the car in a indoor garage on walking distance from the hotel (do not park on the street unless you have a Fiat Punto, we have seen many dents and damages) the hotel staff kindly recommended (Parking Piazza 8 Agosto, 20 Euros per day) while at the same time we didn't have to drive or use public transport to go out for dinner or see the centre and sights. Upon arrival you tell them your license plate number so they can register you (otherwise you'll get a fine since it's restricted to drive by car in the area, cameras registering license plates). WiFi in the rooms, helpful staff, breakfast in the basement typical sober Italian but the lady running it did a very good job (motivated!) which made all the difference. I literally jumped of joy when on the 3rd morning, suddenly rice waffles had appeared and I could tell she was pleased. The room has a safe, proper big cabinet, unfortunately no ''sleep'' setting on the airconditioning. Once upon a time the room was decorated up to date, this has since then seen some hard times (my husband fixed the shower booth system himself) and when we arrived some bulbs were actually missing (stolen, we guess). Nevertheless, if you want to be in the centre, this is a good option. And if you drink enough wine, you'll sleep through the noise on the streets (there's a popular wine bar just down the street)

Room Tip: Our room was not on the street side, but on the alley side. Didn't help, as people walk back to...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lucia21Amsterdam
rome
Reviewed May 10, 2011

We stayed in this hotel one night, and we chose it 'cause it was near the meeting point with some of our friends. It's near piazza Maggiore (5 min walking) in a quiet location. We didn't try the breakfast, but the room was clean and comfortable, nothing special but ok.

• Stayed May 2011
1 Thank Romangirl79
Almelo, The Netherlands
Reviewed January 3, 2009

Overall the cleaning could be done a lot better. The table cloths were stained and stayed on the tables on for our entire stay in the breakfast area.
The bed cover was badly stained.
The extra blankets did not look too shabby either and the room was cold at times.
The sheets were changed after 3 days and towels were clean and got changed daily
The cable behind the the TV was covered in dust, so was the hair dryer holder in the bathroom.
The staff are friendly and very helpfull, the breakfast is a soso affair as well.
There is a noise problem in this hotel as I could hear people snoring through the walls.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — stains & noise
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank crystalsuite
London
Reviewed December 1, 2008

A really nice hotel, centrally located, friendly staff, clean, comfotable rooms and a good powerful shower. However the noise from the bar below was terrible and went on until 4:30-5am for the 3 nights we stayed there. We were on the top floor and even at the end of November in the freezing cold the noise of people singing, shouting and chatting in the street was SO LOUD, I didn't get a decent nights sleep for the duration for my stay. A real shame as I liked the hotel, but I value my sleep more so I don't think I'd stay here again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Noisy bar next door
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple