“One of the highlights of our 3 week trip”

Golosaitalia Day Tours
Ranked #24 of 47 Tours in Bologna
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Travel slow, eat local, get to know what you eat - that´s what we do. We take you to the local producer of Parmigiano cheese, Balsamico vinegar and Proscuitto di Parma, small Slowfood companies in the great area BolognaWe are specialized on small groups of people (2-4 pers.) with a sense for good food, an adventuresome palate and with curiosity for the "real thing".
Useful Information: Food available for purchase
United States
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“One of the highlights of our 3 week trip”
Reviewed January 21, 2014

We spent a day with Alex touring a parmesan cheese factory, the balsamic vinegar museum, and the market in Modena. We arranged everything by email with Martina, who let us customize our day to whatever we wanted to do. We weren't nickel-and-dimed for changing the standard itinerary, it was very easy and simple.

Our tour guide, Alex, met us at our hotel exactly on time. Our hotel was in the limited traffic area in the city center, so she actually parked on the outskirts in a pay garage and walked all the way in to meet us. She could have very easily told us to meet her somewhere so she didn't have to pay or walk, but she didn't. Very professional.

Alex drove us up into the mountains to tour a parmesan cheese factory. She's a good driver (which is hard to find in Italy!) and the views were beautiful, even in the winter. She explained the cheese-making process, showed us every step of the process, and bought some parmigiano, nero, and fresh ricotta from the store for us to taste test. The nero is so delicious! We bought some to take back home with us. On our way back down the mountains, we stopped at a cafe where she bought us an espresso.

She then drove us near Modena to the balsamic vinegar museum. I initially wasn't interested in this and was talking with Martina about other things we could do, but I decided to give it a try. I'm really glad I did; it ended up being a really unique experience. Real balsamic vinegar as we know it is completely different from the supermarket stuff. The real stuff is almost like a syrup, it's a dark color, and has a very distinct taste. Alex explained how they make the balsamic vinegar and let us try two different samples. She then walked us around the market in Modena. We have nothing like it back home, so it was interesting to see all the different stalls of meats, produce, cheese, and pastries.

We didn't feel rushed at all. Alex at one point literally said, "This is your day. I have no where to be." We just walked around aimlessly seeing the city and talking. It was very relaxed.

I couldn't recommend Golosa Italia more highly. My one regret is that my boyfriend messed up and forgot to tip her, which she definitely deserved. Three weeks later, he actually still feels guilty about it, that's how great she was.

Visited January 2014
1 Thank Ereioi

Perth, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Don't look anywhere else!”
Reviewed January 17, 2014 via mobile

BEST food tour in Bologna, no question!

My boyfriend and I were taken on a tour (just the two of us!) with the wonderful Alex from 8am until 7pm that night. We did the parmigiano and balsamic day tour with the addition of a shortened market tour (as it was a Thursday we were given a tour through the Modena markets rather than the Bologna markets).

The cost was €250 total for both of us with the additional market tour (+ about €30 for a beautiful lunch with wine for the two of us). Don't let the price put you off though. This price is very competitive, you get a number of unique food experiences and tastings, and, most importantly, you're on a tour without 20 other people!

I really couldn't recommend this tour enough. We had the most amazing time where we learned so much and not just about the food of this region! While Alex came to Bologna several years ago from the States her knowledge of the food and the area was vast. As someone who had to get used to the changes in culture moving here, Alex shared a lot of her knowledge about the cultural differences here and what it's like to live in Italy as someone whose come from another country.

While the day was quite long and filled with visits to different places we were very relaxed and felt that the day was very comfortably paced. At the end of the day Alex was even kind enough to have a glass of wine with us and give us fantastic advice on where to have dinner and an in depth itinerary for our day exploring Bologna the next day.

If you don't want to be herded around in a bus with a large number of other people and want to have a personal, authentic experience of Italian food and life - book with Golosaitalia! I have been in Europe through 5 other countries in the past 6 weeks and the tour we had yesterday was by far my favourite day.

Thank you Alex and Martina for the wonderful day we had!

Pretoria, South Africa
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 138 helpful votes
“Really enjoyable, attentive food tour with a knowledgeable guide”
Reviewed December 30, 2013

We booked with Golosaitalia only because we visited at xmas and the higher ranked food tours were closed. We are glad that we did... this is a really good company and I recommend going with them.

Our guide picked us up at 8am and we were surprised she was American and wondered if she was qualified for an Italian food tour. We needn't have worried. She has spent 5 years in Bologna, teaches Italian cooking, is fluent in the language and incredibly passionate and knowledgeable. Being an ex-pat, she knows her western clientele well, so this was a bonus really.

We started off with a drive up into the mountains, which was beautiful. Our guide was friendly and chatty, sharing lots of knowledge about Bologna and the surrounding regions as well as telling us quirky facts about the factory we would visit.

First stop was a parmigiano Factory in Zocca, a tiny enterprise that operates 365 days a year with only 4 staff and makes 12 rounds of cheese a day. We observed the process of separating the cheese from the milk and packing it into rounds before seeing the different parts of the 2 year process of making parmigiano: printing the side of the cheese, bathing it in salt and then aging. This was all very interesting. We then got to visit a little delicatessen attached to the factory and were impressed that there was no pressure to buy anything. We did though as the meats and cheeses are much cheaper at the source than in the shops in Bologna.

Following this, we sat and tasted fresh ricotta, 2 year old parmigiano and some nero cheese before heading off for a coffee stop in the local village and then on to the next factory.

Aceto Balsamico Tradizionale di Modena is not just balsamic vinegar but the product of a tiny region of avid home-brew vinegar makers, which takes either 12 or 25 years to make. The very interesting museum tour was short and authentic, including some in-process vinegars. We then tasted two Balsamicos, the 12 year old one and the super-expensive 25yr old one. Both tasted how I never imagined vinegar could taste and I'd happily eat spoonfulls of the stuff if I could afford it. For those with deep pockets the factory sells the vinegegars (70EUR for a tiny bottle of the 25yr old stuff) but still half the price of the bottles being sold in Bologna.

We then went for a lovely lunch near to the factory where I got to eat Tortellini with Aceto Balsamico Tradizionale di Modena on top.

All in all, this tour was an excellent day out and we experienced a side of food we never knew existed. We were incredibly satisfied with the guide and our experience. I recommend this tour as we had a private trip whereas some of the more popular ones will lay on a mini-bus where you cannot chat to the guide all-day long like we did and get all your questions answered. At 100 Euros per person (+ lunch) it is not cheap, but seems to be the going rate with the other companies so I guess if you look at it that way it is good value.

Highly recommended tour company...

Visited December 2013
Hyams Beach, Australia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Market tour”
Reviewed October 26, 2013

My husband and I enjoyed a 3 hour guided walking market tour with Rita on a busy Saturday morning in October. It was a great opportunity to ask numerous questions about the produce we saw. We certainly would have missed seeing the mozzarella being made if we were on our own. Seeing the ladies make the fresh pasta and roll the tortellini by hand in the little shop at the back was an extra bonus.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Pam S
Mechelen, Belgium
“Great Experience”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

We took a day visit to a Parmigiano factory followed by a trip to the Balsamic Vinegar museum.
Alex, our guide, was very knowledgeable and friendly and most importantly full of enthusiasm for what she does.
Both sites feel very well chosen and 'authentic' and have left a lasting impression on the senses (tastes and smells).

Visited September 2013