“Wonderful small hotel”
Review of Al Cappello Rosso

Al Cappello Rosso
Ranked #8 of 102 Hotels in Bologna
Reviewed April 17, 2014

This quirky hotel is in a historic building with first class location just off the Piazza Maggiore and within walking distance to restaurants and attractions, the downside being the area can be noisy at night. The staff were friendly and willing to give us advice and recommendations. A very good breakfast was served by a cheerful young lady in the restaurant. Our room was comfortable and spotless. Would definitely stay here again if I'm lucky enough to return to Bologna.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family

Reviewed March 31, 2014

An average hotel in a great location. We stayed for 4 nights in a standard room which was fairly small but typical European size I guess. One window that opened to a lane way which was a bit noisy and with kitchen staff smoking below not pleasant when you needed to open it to get some cool air (as air con is not turned on til mid April we were told) and small room got quite stuffy. Bathroom was big and very clean. Front desk service generally good but the highlight was the attached restaurant!!! The home made pastas are incredible - well priced and delicious! We ended up eating here most nights - good selection of local beer and wines as well . Highly recommend it but book if a weekend as it is popular with locals and is full most night! Great location as many have said with walking distance to all popular attractions.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TravellingDeanne
Reviewed March 24, 2014

stayed a week while in town on business. fantastic location right in the heart of the city center. eclectic, boutique-y rooms that are right-sized and clean. appropriate rates, too. and the restaurant attached to the hotel is great as well!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed March 22, 2014

Superb location; walk to sights, shopping, restaurants, and bars. Rooms are comfortable. Front desk service was a bit uneven; some personnel were warm and friendly and offered terrific recommendations, others were less enthusiastic. The hotel's restaurant is excellent for lunch and dinner; the pasta bolognese is spectacular; you can also get room service. When my wife and I visit Bologna again, we will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 12, 2014

The location couldn´t be better, on a quiet street, just a few steps from the central Piazza, but still reachable by car. The staff is very attentive and helpful. The breakfast was an experience itself, in a friendly, charming atmosphere. I got a regular, non-themed room, which was very pleasing. The pillow-menu was put to service and suceeded. I would definitely stay again at Cappello Rosso.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cggarcia
Reviewed January 6, 2014

nice hotel in the center of bologna with privet parking{25 euro} and with some appartments in the near block.If you can take one of those specialy if you have a family.The lady in the frond desk is a little....german policmen(froozen..) but the other staff is very very good.for the ladys opozit from the hotel is a secont hand shop with very nice clooths[50% sconto !!!]

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank chris e
Locandiera R, Direttore at Al Cappello Rosso, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2014

Dear Chris,

thank you so much for your review.
I am glad you enjoyed the stay at the apartment. I think that is a nice solution for families as you say, and also for long stays.
I am sorry about your impression on our staff: all of us take very good care in the relationship with the guests and we actually never have complaints about it. We are generally very attentive.
I have investigated the matter and the lady was just organising all the luggage that was left for storage while the other colleague was taking care of the guests, in a moment of big confusion when all our guests were leaving at the same time. She was then just making sure that luggage was stored properly and safely!

I hope you will come back soon and enjoy another holiday in Bologna and with us.
Kind regards,

Marianna

Reviewed January 5, 2014

Just around the corner from Piazza Maggiore, this hotel is worth a visit if even for a night. I stayed in the Typewriter Room which was fantastic - a themed room decorated with Ray Bradbury quotes, a proper typewriter on the wall and keys on the ceiling (you'll just have to see for yourself). I must also note that it's also just a few minutes from Ristorante Da Nello (spectacular dinner suggested by Al Cappello Rosso reception staff; see review). Great location and stunning hotel... I have no arguments.

The room was extremely clean (my experience stands that Italy is the cleanest country I have ever visited) and comfortable. Very spacious with lots of storage. The bathroom was large with a gorgeous tub. A robe and slippers were provided and there were little "extras" in the bathroom to accompany the usual shampoo and soaps...I can't remember what they were but it was along the lines of ear plugs, shower cap, shoe polisher, nail scrubber, etc. I brought my luggage up to the room before heading back down for dinner and upon my return to my room for the night, I was pleasantly surprised to find a soft little rug placed at the side of my bed that sweetly read, "bonne nuit." I know, French, but still.

The staff were extremely helpful and attentive. As mentioned, reception directed me to eat at Nello for dinner and it was one of the best meals I've ever had. Gorgeous. The halls were fancifully decorated and the space around the doors of the special rooms (I didn't get a good look at every door) gave hints to what might be found inside. Really neat. I loved it.

Not one complaint at all. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for something different from the usual chain accommodation. If you book in advance, you will find that it can even be cheaper than your typical hotel (otherwise, it can get pricey).

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo