“Pleasant and relaxing” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #26 of 104 Hotels in Bologna
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Pleasant and relaxing”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013

Bologna was our stop so we could visit Maranello and the ferrari factory. It turned out to be a fantastic city - gorgeous shopping, lovely buildings, and our hotel was very central. Lovely quality setting. Room was good, and once again we enjoyed wonderful service, especially from Arturo, running the upstairs bar. What a guy!! People like him made our holiday in Italy a joy, and it kept happening to us. Highly recommended stop over a little off the typical tourist stops.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Geoff C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Edinburgh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

5 mins from the station and the square. Traditional, clean, huge room, great breakfast, free wifi..all that you need for a city break. Well above the standard for the price and a real surprise as I was expecting a more basic hotel.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GordonMackie
Colchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2013

The first good sign was when we ended up being given a deluxe room, having only paid for a standard double! It was a beautiful room, very clean and spacious, odd fabric padded walls though! The hairdryer is pretty dire though, basically just a tiny fan on the end of a long hand-held machine, it took ages to dry hair. We were mostly very disappointed with the lack of a tea/coffee making facility and complimentary biscuits etc. I've never come across a hotel that hasn't offered these in the rooms, but perhaps this is just a UK thing? So the only thing you can do if thirsty/hungry when in your room is to raid the mini-bar, but the prices are obviously very marked-up, and you still can't get a hot drink!

Of course you could use the room service, but we found this to be a bit hit and miss, and unfortunately pretty misleading on once occasion. There is a sheet you can fill in with what breakfast items you'd like for a room service breakfast. It was quite confusing with all the different sections and prices, but we ticked what we wanted and hoped for the best! In the morning we were presented with an utterly groaning table of food, a lot of which we hadn't ordered. I don't know how much extra or not we were charged for that.

Later that night we wanted to order a couple of glasses of champagne and a cheeseboard, as it was my birthday. Room service claimed to be serving until 12am, but when we called around 11.30pm, there was no food left and all we were offered were crisps! And when our 2 glasses of champagne at 8 euros each turned up, it was actually a whole bottle of champagne! It being my birthday my boyfriend said nothing and not to worry about the cost. When it came to paying the final bill the bottle cost 80 euros! This was fine as we could afford it, but I wonder if someone who felt less able to turn down a man turning up with a whole bottle of champagne in a bucket of ice all on a fancy tray could have ended up paying for something they rather they hadn't!?

So, lovely room, just beware of hidden extras and little correlation between what you order and what you get!

1 Thank Pansy P
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

If I could i'd give this 3.5 stars, but didnt think it warranted 4.
Hotel is comfortable and in a good location, price was competitive. Breakfast was good, but in my view not as good a some other reviews say. Room was a very good size (for Italy), though we have some rather funny stains on our fabric wall, and the room just showed a few little signs of being tired.
Would recommend it to others, but nothing overly special.

1 Thank peld
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2013

Located on one of the main shopping streets of Bologna and 10 minutes walk from the central station is the Hotel Internazionale. The hotel is very comfortable with nice sized rooms and bathrooms. Importantly the air conditioning worked well, which was important for the daily 90F weather. Via Indipendenza is a nice covered and shaded shopping street, excellent for window-shopping and 15 minutes from the central square. Prices were reasonable and the overall value excellent.

Edinburgh
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

There was nothing really wrong with this place, location was good, it was mostly clean - a few dodgy grubby marks on the wall - service was fine as much as we asked and breakfast was decent. But...nothing here was great. Nothing would make me say 'you have to stay here'. It was ok, fine etc without ever being more. And the hairdryer in the room is terrible!

• Stayed September 2013
Townsville, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

This hotel is reasonably well appointed and centrally located, an easy walk from both the train station and central tourist attractions.

However, unlike many other reviewers, I found the service to be offhand and unhelpful. When I arrived with my prepaid voucher organized by my travel agent, the desk clerk could not find my booking, and said I would have to pay for the room again. She said that I had booked it myself via internet, and I told her repeatedly it was booked through an agent (which the voucher clearly stated). I gave her my travel agent's Italian contact number, and while on the phone to them she repeatedly said "booking.com" despite my repeatedly telling her that my booking was not made over the internet. She also said "single room" despite the fact that my voucher stated i had booked a double. Clearly she did not believe me.
Eventually it was sorted out, and with no apology I was given a room key. When I got to the room it was a twin, not a double, so I again had to return to reception and ask for the double I had booked (why a person alone would want 2 single beds is beyond me). This was done somewhat begrudgingly and without apology.

At no stage was I offered a map, or any guidance about bologna. On entering and leaving the hotel during my stay my presence was not even acknowledged. This contrasted starkly with 2 star hotels I have stayed in before and since then.

For me, no amount of marble in the bathroom can make up for the poor service I received from hotel staff. I would definitely not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo