“Serious class”

Ranked #121 of 367 things to do in Bologna
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed July 10, 2012

This is one serious class and not for the faint of heart. If you are tourist and expect a fluffy class this is not for you. This is definitely hands on. Loved my teacher Sabrina who led the class like a conductor leads an orchestra. She was able to speak in Italian and English, and also administer to a variety if skills. I now have a much deeper appreciation for pasta making.

The only downside was an assistant who said to me "Don't you remember what I taught you? Here. I will show you one more time, and that's it." Heh. I almost said something but elected not to. Serious cooking school can be a bit like boot camp.

Regardless I would still recommend this school if you are serious about learning how to make pasta. You won't be disappointed.

5  Thank vivianaldridge

Reviewed May 28, 2012

In short formats as well as in long-term education, the style of a school should always stand out, quality of teaching should anyway shine through.
What I could see during our two hours cooking class was a standardized, supposedly funny, rushed demonstration of pasta making (no cooking). 'Time-is-money', we could hear ticketing behind those painted-on smiles.... A perfected, mass-production mechanism, a business-minded attitude dressed up with according-to-the-script humour which owners seem to consider successful beyond any possible improvement. The assumption is obviously devoided of foundation.
The same school that promotes old style, home-made, authentic and hearty cuisine for the soul as a matter of fact adopts extremely commercial, somewhat aggressive strategy for the purse only...
What is worse, the fresh pasta I had as a meal there (which, by the way, was not what we had made in our class, because 'it needs to rest and dry before cooking', in our teachers words) was a very poor example of what traditional hand-made pasta Emilian style should be: chunky, often too thick, badly uneven anyways, therefore non-homogeneously cooked, brutally shaped in ridiculous flower patterns obtained with cookie cutters that should have no place in the laboratory of any serious school - let alone one naming itself 'Old School of Bologna'!
May TV-show style have contaminated the 'Vecchia Scola' too much?

7  Thank SmithsonianUsa
Reviewed March 22, 2012

I learned to make all types of pasta in the one day class, however it’s very utilitarian and not much fun. This is a very serious school so if you really just want to learn just how to make pasta (no dishes), this is the school for you! Even though the staff was very nice, there was no break for 3.5 hours, the English instruction was minimal, and I didn’t get to eat anything that I made except for some tortellini broth soup.

2  Thank rkashmere
Reviewed December 20, 2011

This was a wonderful week for me. I attended the 20 hours lessons (Amateur class) for pasta making and the 4 hours class on breads & Pizza. It all started with the fast respond time to my many query mails and answering all my questions with a lot of trust and respect. The lovely class maestro (Alessandro) and the wonderful teacher (Sabina) gave all they had to teach and enable me to become a good “homemade” pasta maker. Very good English, lots of tips and professional methods, all together gave exactly what I was looking for. The different people participated in each lesson (locals, student, tourists ..) were for sure a nice contribution to the great atmosphere during the class. Now that I'm back home already made my first home made gnocchi and Italian Bread… Woooow, it was so good.

1  Thank Michal000
See more reviews
Reviewed July 28, 2011

We had a great time at Vecchia Scuola Blognese. Simone was a great teacher and a cool guy. We did the 4 hour class & learned a lot. Turns out, I am good at making the shapes by hand & my husband is good at making the dough. Perfect!
One of the cool things about this class is that it's in a working kitchen & when we were there the rest of the staff was preparing for an upcoming catering job. They were busy. They were all very funny, friendly & helpful. It was great to sneak peaks at what they were doing... and how fast & easy they made it all look!

1  Thank rachel16