“a tad pretentious”

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Inverness, United Kingdom
“a tad pretentious”
Reviewed December 15, 2012

It’s in a bookshop and that’s fun but don’t expect it to be great. There are a mass of good ingredients on the shelves and in the chilled display cabinets. However it takes more than careful foraging to make great dishes. There is no great skill in the preparation or the presentation here, my guest’s vegetable plate had one cabbage leaf which was yellow with black spots (and that was one of only four!). It’s not entirely the fault of the kitchen – they have to work in a space that’s ill equipped to be a resturant. But, having said that, a fun place for an (expensive) snack or light lunch. The coffee bar does serve some very decent coffee.

Visited December 2012

• Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
“Ate here twice”
Reviewed December 3, 2012

This is the first time I have eaten here. Strange sitting eating meals in a bookshop! Quite unique. After an inspiring delicious and simple lunch we were so impressed that we returned that same evening for dinner. Lunch on the second floor was much nicer than the very limited choice available for dinner (third floor). The staff at lunchtime were fantastic, charming, helpful, smiley. Maybe they were tired but the staff at dinner, on the top floor, were devoid of any character, personality or customer service... very un-Italian. Very busy, and long queues, so they must be doing something right.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank Neal_J_M
Tupelo, Mississippi
“Great Experience in Bologna!”
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Two friends and I were in Bologna for the weekend and went to Eataly Bologna for lunch. Be sure and get there at noon, because by 1 pm the place was packed! Great food and wine!!! A true must do experience in Bologna. I cannot wait for the Eataly to open in Chicago in September. I have great friends in Chicago and it will be one of the first places that I want to go. They just moved there from where else......... Italy?

• Visited November 2012
Vancouver, Canada
“Lunch”
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Mixed experience here. My partner had the minestrone which he thought was the best he had ever eaten. My salad was basic as was my main course which as I write this, I don't remember what it was so it was evidently forgettable! Atmosphere is busy at lunch time.

• Visited October 2012
California
“Great Lunch”
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Like others, we knew about Eataly in NY, and like others, we found it fabulous but overwhelming. We were in Bologna looking for a good plate of taglierini Bolognese and found it here. We ate upstairs (hurry! it fills up fast) among the bottles of balsamic vinegar and packages of pasta and I had one of the best meals of my trip. The dish was ample and delicious and it was just what we needed before heading back out into Touristing.

• Visited November 2012