“The really delicious food”
Review of Vicolo Colombina

Vicolo Colombina
Ranked #71 of 1,835 Restaurants in Bologna
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
San Francisco, California
“The really delicious food”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Gramigna alla salsiccia- short pasta with artisanal sausages, Bollito-wich include: doppione (breast of beef), lingua (tongue), testina (calf’s head), zampone (stuffed pig’s trotters, like a sausage), breast of guinea fowl

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Boris S

• Greek first
  • Turkish first
Germany
“Nice restaurant”
Reviewed October 12, 2013

Nice restaurant, very delicious home made pasta, modern ambience (not your typical osteria, if you are looking for that). Service was very good. Nice wine selection. Panna cotta was one of the best I have ever had.

Visited October 2013
London
“World class food.”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Of the three outstanding restaurants we visited on our trip to Bologna; Vicolo Colombina possibly delivered the best food. So what did we have? As usual, the plate of salami and other cold meats was simply outstanding, especially the brawn, (sometimes referred to by the unappetising name of ‘head-cheese’). Now that was worth the visit in itself.

For the pasta course, my wife had taleggio and almond tortelli, with a pea sauce which was extremely good. However, my lasagne was breathtakingly perfect. Sheets of pasta, layered with a light, yet full of flavour ‘white’ meat sauce, with an incredibly light but tasty cheese layer. It ranks as one of the best dishes I have eaten anywhere, at any price – simply perfect.

To follow, my wife had de-boned leg of pork, cooked at a low temperature and served with kale. Delicious. I had locally sourced flank steak, cooked and served perfectly. Again, both dishes could not be faulted.

For dessert, my wife had a light sponge, with a zabaglione sauce and I had the local rice cake. Both up to the high standards, set by the rest of the meal.

We drank a bottle of Orfeo Cabernet 2006, which was lovely and a half bottle, (well 500ml), of a delicious dessert wine, Gesimo from Passeti. A real treat that one. As well as a bottle of mineral water and coffees.

If I were to rate by the quality of the food alone, then Vicolo Colombina would have got my top spot for Bologna. Sadly, I do have a small, (possibly petty), complaint. We arrived, (without a booking), at 1215. It was raining heavily and although we had umbrellas, we were eager to get under cover. Seated outside, (under the awning), was a gentleman smoking a cigarette. I believe, (I cannot be sure), that he was one of the co-owners. I asked him what time they opened, and he told me, “Twenty minutes”. Through the window, we could see a cosy bar, a nice sofa, the perfect place where two bedraggled tourists could sit in the dry for twenty minutes…but no. As we walked away, I turned to my wife and in unison we both said, “To hell with him. Let’s eat somewhere else”! Now this may seem petty and if they’re not open, then they’re not open. It’s their restaurant, their rules. However, as we scoffed our undeniably delicious lunch, I looked around the half-empty restaurant and thought, “With a little more Italian warmth and charisma, this restaurant would be buzzing”.

Please, don’t let my experience put you off. The food in this place is absolutely stunning and it’s only yards from the Piazza Nettuno. If you miss it, you’ll regret it.

• Visited September 2013
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Superb gastronomic experience”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Close to the main square in a small lane, we ate there on two consecutive evenings. On both evenings it was fully booked and very busy. Excellent service especially the head waiter/sommelier. The tortelli with almonds and talleggio in a pea puree were sublime, the wine list extensive, the relaxed atmosphere and welcoming approach to children (typically Italian are to be commended). Highly recommended - a stand-out choice even in a gastro city!

• Visited August 2013
Oxford, United Kingdom
“One of the best in Bologna!”
Reviewed September 18, 2013

We ate here for dinner in September and it has to rank as one of the best meals I've had in Italy.

The restaurant itself is located down a quiet alleyway just off Via D'Azeglio (literally about a two minute walk from Piazza Maggiore). We sat inside (although there are many tables outside). The interior is decorated in a modern, simple style - which was a nice change from many of the rustic trattoria-style places we had ate in up till that point. The restaurant soon became very busy, so I'd recommend booking a table in advance.

Vicolo Colombina offers simple, delicious traditional Bolognese fare and lets the quality of the ingredients shine through rather than concentrating on overly complex technical cooking (like so much of the best Italian food). Thus, I started with mouth-watering tortelli stuffed with taleggio cheese and almonds in a pea sauce; for my main, I had tender slow cooked pork ribs with cabbage and roast potatoes (the meet was so tender and succulent that no sauce was required); and finished with what the English menu described as a doughnut, but was actually more like a chocolate fondant with custard (drool). They have an extensive - and reasonably priced - wine list and a good selection of digestifs which are displayed prominently as you go in (unfortunately the collection of single malt whiskies at the back of the restaurant are for display purposes only!).

The service we had was very good. There seems to be only two regular waiters, both of whom speak good English and are very knowledgeable when it comes to wine. On the previous occasion we ate here (September 2012), it was also these same two waiters who served us. When it gets very busy, therefore, the service can slow down a touch (as it did in our previous visit), but the food and atmosphere is so good that you don't really mind. In addition, the food itself is very good value for money.

Overall, I would always eat here when visiting Bologna. Simple, delicious Bolognese food, great wine, good service and low prices - what's not to like? I certainly think it should be a lot higher up in the rankings, top ten at least.

• Visited September 2013