“A friendly hotel in a great location”
Review of Paradise Hotel

Paradise Hotel
Ranked #15 of 102 Hotels in Bologna
Reviewed June 21, 2013

We stayed at the Paradise for a week in June 2013. We were looking for a friendly, small and homely hotel in a central location, and this one fitted the bill perfectly. It's just a short walk from the railway station in one direction, and from Piazza Maggiore in the other.
The staff were absolutely lovely, and made us feel very welcome. The whole place was spotlessly clean. Some previous comments here have remarked on the smallness of the rooms, but ours (no. 205) was really spacious and comfortable. It's probably worth enquiring before you book if room size matters to you.
Breakfast each day was superb, with fresh fruit, cereals, pastries, bread, cheese and ham - and home-made cake! There are lots of little homely touches throughout which are great fun (such as literary quotations tucked in to the sugar bowl).
There are some really good, inexpensive trattorias within just a few steps of the hotel's front door, and just round the corner on Via Piella is the much-talked-about window on to Bologna's old canal system.
The only downside for us - and it wasn't too much of a problem - was that the bar across the road was quite noisy at the weekend. There was a couple with a small child staying at the same time as us and they found this quite difficult to deal with, so it's maybe not the best choice if you are travelling with very young children.
We loved this hotel, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone visiting Bologna.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 16, 2013

a cosy place run by 2 ladies , right inthe historical center , 10 min walk from the rail station and the airport bus right at the street corner ! still great ! utmostly clean hotel , rooms on the smallish side , but fully equipped , elegant bath and bed linen ! many cute details in the rooms ! excellent bfast ! enjoy this wonderful cosy hotel ,like i do ! bologna is a gorgeous city with the oldest european university so many young people at night in the streets , have a drink around 9 pm in via de due moline ! numerous lively cafes , full of students enjoying life ! its fab !
the frenchy

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 15, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights at the paradise hotel. Our room was on the 1st floor and it was a little noisy, mostly due to conversations hapenning in the lobby, so I wouldn't stay on the 1st floor if you want to sleep in.
The bar in the lobby made excellent coffee for 2 euros including decaf. There is also excellent Gelato just up the street.
Breakfast was ok but there weren't enough bread or pastries, in fact none on our second morning (we were probably just staying with other very greedy guests).
The location is great and so is the service and cleanliness. The rooms are dated but they are large and clean so who cares!

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed June 14, 2013

This hotel is situated about one kilometre from the railway station (and easy walk) and is convenient for all central areas of Bologna. The room was a bit on the small side but when we arrived we were offered the chance to upgrade to an appartment situated across the road for an additional 15 euros per night. We decided to stick with our room since we did not plan to spend much time in it. It was comfortable with a small en suite. Showers in Italy tend to be small (80-90 cm trays) which may be inconvenient for some people, but there was plenty of hot water. Breakfast was good with good choice of cereals, bread, cake etc.Also, you can get proper coffee if you want, although we like to go to the coffee bars alongside the Italians. Staff were very helpful and even allowed us to speak Italian to improve our language skills without getting fed up and resorting to English!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 11, 2013

The hotel was praised for its superb service, which was also the main reason for me to choose this hotel. And it was all true! The reception was always open, the receptionist always on a good mood, always polite and nice and always ready to help. The hotel is not fancy, but clean and neat, and the rooms are quite neat with a large bed and surprisingly large toilets. When you come down for breakfast your are instantly asked what coffee you prefer, and brought to your table. The breakfast hall is small but quite cute and offers a large variety of bread, cerials, juices, croissants, fruit etc. and there is a daily riddle on the wall for some extra excitement. The hotel is just a few steps off the main road Via Independeza, and you have many traditional trattorias just around the corner. One to recommend is Dal Biassanot on Via Piella. I will definitely return to this hotel next time I visit Bologna!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 5, 2013

This hotel has 3 levels and the rooms vary quite a bit. Before I departed I noticed the price DROPPED on booking. com, and put in an inquiry. The hotel staff promptly wrote back and explained the price was for a SMALLER double room, and I could change if I wanted to. They have plenty of photos on the website and it was clear to me the more expensive room was a lot more spacious. So I kept my room.

Once I arrived in Bologna (warning--this city has LOTS of cobblestone streets, lovely except if you are pulling tons of luggage!), found the hotel, and they showed me my room--on 2nd floor facing the street (there's a cafe right across). Definitely you can hear quite a bit of noise. They then asked me if I wanted the 3rd floor attic room, with a sky light. This room is bright and spacious, with sky lights in bedroom and bathroom. (see pic). You can see and hear birds but not street noise. I recommend it. (Don't worry about the sky light keeping you from a good sleep, it has an electric "cover" you can close to block the light)

The bathroom (see pic) is super cute, just beware that the shower is the TINIEST I have seen in my entire life. My 5'3" frame can just about fit in it. They do provide a dental kit and even shower cap. Everything is sparkling clean.

The breakfast buffet is very good, with a delicious Italian torte/cake, and the staff will brew you as many cappuccinos/espressos/American coffees as you like.

On the night of arrival I told the staff I was worried about jet lag and waking up in the middle of night hungry. I sheepishly asked them if I could have some hot water for my instant noodle (in the city of Bologna, famous for pasta, man). They couldn't be nicer and gave me a big pot of hot water, an empty bowl, and silverware.

In terms of convenience, Bologna is SO compact you just walk everywhere. There is a Conad (supermarket) right down the street. Two restaurants are around the corner (Dal Biassanot and Serghei). Warning: both can be fully booked for dinner, I tried to crash without reservation and there was no hope. Dal Biassanot has many good reviews and it looked delicious to me :(

Room Tip: if you care about quiet, try to pick a room not facing the street. The smaller rooms might be 20 eu...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank turtlemeng
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Perfect location for me- it was easy to get to from the airport, easy to walk to the city centre to see all the sights, and easy to get to the train station for onward travel.

The reception staff were all absolutely lovely. Very helpful and cheerful- thank you to all of them for making our short stay so easy. They seemed to do all they can to make their guests visits nicer and easier e.g. by happily printing out my Italian train tickets when I hadn't been able to print them at home.

The room and bathroom were very clean & the bed was large and comfortable, and the shower worked well. Extras like shower gel were provided. A minibar was available, and the hotel was close to shops and some nice places to eat. All you need really!

I can't find any fault with the place. Highly recommended!

ps bus from the airport to the city 6euro one way- i was advised a taxi would be 15-20euro on the sunday midday-ish i arrived.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple