“Great Atmosphere and wonderful food”

Ristorante Pizzeria Il Portico
Ranked #666 of 1,867 Restaurants in Bologna
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 12, 2012

We have now eaten at this restaurant twice and we've not been disappointed. The staff are warm and friendly and enjoy a bit of banter. You can see staff preparing pasta and cooking pizza's so you can see that the food is fresh and home cooked. We had the tagliateli al bolognase both times and it was amazing, the pasta was so light and not at all stodgy like spaghetti or pasta you get in the UK. It was really light and sauce was tasty. We recommend the house wine, its very reasonable in price and it tastes good too. Our visits to this restaurant have been 3 years apart and its good to see that things haven't changed and this is still a great place to eat in Bologna. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

Reviewed August 5, 2012

I saw another review from a woman who looked to be here around the same time as us and I we did not have the same experience with the service. We had fine service - I know we were not in a rush but I don't remember waiting for anything or having to ask twice for anything.
We ended up here after searching for restaurants that were not closed in the last week in July. After several on our list were closed, we wandered down to Il Portico and the next night we returned after a day trip to Ferrara.
We enjoyed the food - my tortellini in cream sauce was really good. My daughter had spaghetti with clams that she loved. Son had pizza - chef's surprise - and it was very good. Husband ate tagliatelle Bolognese and enjoyed it. The house wine was good. The prices were very reasonable and I would recommend this place though maybe the ones that were closed are better - can't say.

Reviewed July 28, 2012

Please know that I am the kind of person who wants to be pleased--I do not complain lightly (look at my other reviews to confirm!), but in the 20 years that I have been regularly traveling to Italy, this was the worst overall restaurant experience I've ever had -- ironically in the city famed for the best food in Italy. We were actually trying to go to a restaurant down the street from this one which turned out to be closed for vacation. We decided to try the Portico since the menu had what we wanted, the prices seemed reasonable, and it was packed with people. Huge mistake!
Service: horrendous. Our food came out at different times, and my son's food took forever to come out; the rest of us had finished our meals before his came out. Twice I asked about the delay and twice was told it would be out momentarily. When his dish of lasagne alla bolognese finally arrived, it was burnt and greasy. Practically inedible. The food overall was bad. The bolognese sauce looked like dog food, and did not taste at all good. The tortelli in gorgonzola sauce tasted like frozen food -- thick and lacking flavor. The pizza was passable, but not enough to warrant a trip here.
Returning to service: we asked for a second bottle of water 4 times from two different people to no effect. No joke. We asked for the check twice, and then no one came back to get it. We had to go up ourselves before the waiters came running over to us. As we were getting up to leave, our long-desired bottle of water finally arrived. They said it was on the house. Small consolation.
Do not waste a meal here.

1  Thank sundaygirl2
Reviewed May 31, 2012

Had our first lunch in Bologna here and found it quite good and reasonable. Service was courteous and polite, prices were good and the food was well prepared and of good quality. The tortellini in broth was excellent.

Reviewed May 30, 2012

Unfortunately I have to agree with some of the other reviewers who have had similar poor experiences. On the night we ate here the food was average at best, well below the standard for Bologna. I noticed two other tables who sent back food to the kitchen. The service was somewhat abrupt. Overall, we won't be returning to this restaurant; not when there are such wonderful alternatives in Bologna.