“Would do this every week!!!”
Review of Cook Italy

Cook Italy
More attraction details
Owner description: Since 1999 offering Market-to-Table day class, half day classes, 3 night courses. As my classes are for very small numbers they fill up quickly and the first months to fill are April/May and September/October so plan ahead! I offer home cooking in a well air-conditioned home kitchen making updated, well plated, traditional Italian meals and my apartment is right in the heart of the historic city. Beginners, experienced cooks, professional chefs, families with children all welcome! I do my utmost to give you a memorable day and a great culinary experience and teach all the classes personally. And if you or your travelling partner/s don't fancy cooking, I offer a morning market food tour ending in a light lunch to introduce you to Bologna, its history and its food. And an unusual evening tour too, just email to ask!
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Lockers / storage, Stroller parking
Reviewed April 18, 2013

My husband and I have been studying in Bologna for the past seven months, so we thought we knew a ton about the city/culture. We had the privilege of doing Cook Italy with Carmelita three weeks ago, and realized there's so much we don't know about this place! So whether you are visiting Bologna for a few days, or have been living here for a while, I would HIGHLY recommend Cook Italy. I can't imagine any other cooking classes like this. We were able to visit markets, learn about Bolognese history and cuisine, taste local products throughout the day, and learn how to make a Bolognese meal. The class was specifically relevant to us because Carmelita took time to explain the best quality value-eats in town...ever since the class, we've been purchasing food at her recommendations, and it's truly opened up a world of affordable YUM! You can tell that Carmelita is well loved and respected by all of her suppliers, and it's such a joy to see those interactions. Making the meal is a large component of the day. Since we've been here, we've had no clue had to make risotto properly, so Carmelita taught us how to make an incredible dish of risotto, artichoke and peas in a creamy parmesan and white wine sauce, topped with crispy pancetta. Our main course was amazing (veal with asparagus, zucchinis with their flowers, and fricassee), and we finished it all off with a white chocolate cheese pastry topped with wild berries and mint. I would sign up for this class every weekend if classes didn't get in the way :)

2  Thank AmberandBenBologna
Carmelita, Owner at Cook Italy, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2013

Not only did I have a super day with the two of you but you give me the bonus of a wonderful review with an enthiusiastic recommendation of my classes. A very big thank you! I am glad you are enjoying the benefits post-class and hope you will add some of what we made on the class to your culinary repertoire. We need to get together for that coffee we keep talking about before you leave Bologna!

There are newer reviews for Cook Italy

Reviewed April 6, 2013

I truly enjoyed my time with Carmelita. We took a visit of the local market, had coffee, tasted cheese and got some tips on where to shop. The cooking class was great too. My first time making pasta and it was delicious! I loved how simple everything was. Honestly, the end result of the class was some of the most tasty food ive had. Carmelita is passionate about food and teaching others and this shines through!

1  Thank jondabomb
Carmelita, Owner at Cook Italy, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2013

I am glad you appreciated every part of the experience, the shopping tips, the cooking and the tasty end results, I can really hear your voice in your lovely review! Thank you for taking the time, and sorry I am late in replying. Anytime you want to extend your Italian food repertoire, I am here to help, and until then, enjoy cooking in the deceptively simple Italian style back home.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

Yesterday I spent the day shopping and cooking up a storm with Carmelita. Her passion and knowledge on local produce and local shops is phenomenal! Luckily for me, I was the only one cooking with her on the day so we shared lots of stories and experiences. Cooking and touring the market and streets of Bologna with Carmelita is a must for anyone wanting more knowledge on the area and who are passionate about food. If time permits I will be booking more lessons with Carmelita as I learned so much in just one day. An absolute must to do while staying in Bologna!

1  Thank 793ElizabethZ
Carmelita, Owner at Cook Italy, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2013

Spending the day with you was great for me too, given we have so much common. Apologies for my lateness in thanking you and I am really pleased to read that you feel a learned a lot in the time with me. A presto, I hope, and happy cooking and eating in Bologna and when back home!

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Bologna is a fabulous city with such a love and passion for food that it is essential for visitors to have this experience! I would suggest booking your first day in the city! Carmelita is extremely knowledgeable, wonderfully fun and introduces you to those shops in the market that are authentic and take great pride in their products. I was thrilled just watching her interact with the merchants and witnessing their relationships. It was obvious they truly enjoyed her visits and respected her knowledge and appreciation of their products. Once done in the market, you then go to her apartment and begin cooking... What fun! You actually make pasta, get to know Carmelita and have a genuinely delightful time! And the food is fabulous! I can hardly wait to do another class like this in a different city, but know it would be hard for any instructor to measure up to Carmelita!

1  Thank MaryT221
Carmelita, Owner at Cook Italy, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2013

I am shamefully late in thanking you for your very appreciative and positively vibrant review. I will never forget you three ladies, cooking with you was so much fun for me too! Many thanks, and look me up if you come back this way!

Reviewed March 8, 2013

Carmelita was/is fantastic! She is full of knowledge,fun and enthusiastic. I spent 3 days with Carmelita and was so sad to see her go, she had become a part of our group. We learned so much about Tuscan food and preparation. Our daily trips to the markets were unbelievable!! I wish I lived closer because I would be taking her class quite frequently.
I recommend her to anyone who is looking for a class that is fun and a class where you will learn a lot and take that information home!

1  Thank Fredmon
Carmelita, Owner at Cook Italy, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2013

Thank you for reviewing the three day cooking class with your great group of friends in that beautiful villa overlooking Florence. Your review is as lovely and bubbly as you! I hope we will get the chance to cook together again, if not in Italy, then in the US. I have wonderful memories of that class and it would be special to get together again!