“Amazing and memorable day of creating and cooking”
Review of Cook Italy

Cook Italy
More attraction details
Owner description: Since 1999 offering Market-to-Table day class, half day classes, 3 night courses. As my classes are for very small numbers they fill up quickly and the first months to fill are April/May and September/October so plan ahead! I offer home cooking in a well air-conditioned home kitchen making updated, well plated, traditional Italian meals and my apartment is right in the heart of the historic city. Beginners, experienced cooks, professional chefs, families with children all welcome! I do my utmost to give you a memorable day and a great culinary experience and teach all the classes personally. And if you or your travelling partner/s don't fancy cooking, I offer a morning market food tour ending in a light lunch to introduce you to Bologna, its history and its food. And an unusual evening tour too, just email to ask!
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Lockers / storage, Stroller parking
Reviewed August 4, 2012

We just returned back to the states and recreating some wonderful creations and new techniques learned during our day cooking. The day was perfect from the first coffee, market tour, history lesson and cooking techniques learned; preparing squid, tuna and of course pasta making. My kitchen will no longer be a flour mess and making proper pasta will be enjoyed by a friends and family. The day in the apartment was special as all of us shared and swapped cooking stories. Highly recommend this day of local cooking if you like one one personal service. It will be one of my great vacation memories. Thanks

1  Thank BigMikeFoodie
Carmelita, Owner at Cook Italy, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2012

I hope you've made pasta successfully a few times now, in a relatively flour-free kitchen. And that your new culinary skills are appreciated by your family and friends, as much as I appreciate all the good things you say about your class with me - you packed a lot of information in your few lines!

I can only say I feel proud that your filing our cooking classawy in your "Great vacation memories" folder. Thank you!

Reviewed June 19, 2012

We are still raving about our day with Carmelita and it remains the highlight of our time away. From the market tour, menu planning and amazing lessons on the regional produce of Bologna to the hands on experience back at her apartment - Carmelita infused us with passion and desire for all things Bologna. The Balsamic Vinegar tastings were extremely enlightening - we now realize we have never tasted the real stuff in New Zealand!
Returned to the reality of our own kitchen .... and giving it all a go. Thank you again Carmelita
Lisa and Brent Robinson

2  Thank Lisa R
Management response:Responded July 3, 2012

Thank you both so much, for saying this was the highlight of your month in Italy and for posting the photos too!

Delighted you felt inspired, and I hope that the passion has lasted, that it is a "souvenir" that will stay with you over time. May your New Zealand kitchen be ever full of heady scents and aromas as you cook and prepare with pleasure as well as passion!

Grazie mille! Happy cooking and eating!

Reviewed June 9, 2012

Our day with Carmelita started at a coffee shop going over what we would be making that day, and just getting to know each other a little. It's obvioius from the very start that Carmelita is a friendly, warm and welcoming host that loves the art of wonderful food. The first hour or so after the coffee shop we spent shopping in the markets for the different items needed was delightful. She is very knowledgeable about the history of Bologna, Italy and Italian food, as well as the current state of all those things (being a history minor, this was all MY favorite part, aside from eating!). Just listening for that hour was a wealth of interesting information. We then walked to her apartment and began preparing the food, including making our own pasta. Once we had prepared everything, she took us to a local wine shop and told the sommelier what we would be eating, and he picked out a wine for us. We then went back and ate our food, which was all beautiful AND delicious, and we couldn't finish it all! After we were finished, she walked my wife and I to a coffee bar that was on the way to the train station, we shared an espresso and said our fond goodbyes. I felt like she really treated us like family/friends while we were there instead of teacher/student, which was wonderful. The class does last most of the day, but it was all enjoyable and friendly, and she doesn't rush you, which is something I miss about Italian cuisine experiences already. Anyway, that's a long description, but you should know how thorough and personal of an experience this is. We loved it, and if we are fortunate enough to return, we will be giving Carmelita a call!

2  Thank Eddie M
Management response:Responded July 3, 2012

Thank you first for the photos you sent both to me and to the other cook on your class. And thank you for this review, written "from the heart", so observant and so full of appreciation of the little details. It makes what I do hugely rewarding when my guests are so perceptive and receptive!

I too loved cooking with the two of you and with my third guest that day. I think part of the reason all the food turned out beautiful and delicious is because of the harmony in the kitchen among all of us as we prepared the dishes.

And yes I'd love to see you again, I hope there will be a repeat. Until then I wish you both "tante belle cose" - from the heart!

Reviewed April 30, 2012

Our day with Carmelita of Cook Italy was the most glorious way to see the markets and food shops of Bologna Italy and at the same time prepare a fabulous meal to enjoy.
I and a couple of friends enjoyed a shopping experience that combined the culture and protocol of Italian cuisine and at the same time provided an understanding of why cooking and eating was done in a certain manner.
I have a wheat gluten allergy and with this knowledge Carmelita formed a menu and shopping experience resulting in a four course meal that I could enjoy with no allergic concerns. Chef Carmelita’s patience and knowledge brought forth one of the most memorable travel experience with a passion for Italian cuisine.
On returning to Bologna Italy I will once again enjoy a day with Cook Italy and my new best friend and eating buddy, Carmelita.

4  Thank CanadaWolfe
Carmelita, Owner at Cook Italy, responded to this reviewResponded May 4, 2012

Thank you so much for posting all the photos as well as the lovely review! I must say I had a great fun time with the three of you and am looking forward to a repeat when you are next in here in beautiful Bologna. Un bacio a tutti, and a presto!

Reviewed April 27, 2012

Our day with Carmrlita was extraordinary! She is an historian, guide, and teacher. This was far more than a culinary tutorial and a faboulos meal...although it was truly both of those! This day presented the opportuniy to learn about Italy and Bologna and the politics and histury of food.Carmelita has the warmth and charm of a long time friend. I feel so very fortunate to have spent time and cooked with this lovely and talented woman.

4  Thank Joyce D
Carmelita, Owner at Cook Italy, responded to this reviewResponded May 4, 2012

Joyce, I'm blushing here, such nice things you sayl! I am delighted you got so much out of your cooking class with me and really appreciate that you took the time to come and contribiute here, to share a little of your experience. Mille grazie, and may you have many happy hours of cooking and eating delciious things!