“Simply Charming”

Antica Casa Zucchini Bed&breakfast
Ranked #114 of 311 Bologna B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 13, 2014

Ilaria was a wonderful hostess (its hard to imagine where negative reviews of her could've come from). She was kind and helpful with my plans in Bologna, had breakfast early when I left and called the cab for me - no complaints. Her restaurant recommendations were excellent. I was in the "Cesare" room and it was HUGE (named after an ancestor); my friends and family told me I was in a "princess room" when I sent them pictures. Internet was much stronger in the breakfast room than in my room, but I'm just impatient to upload pictures :) The B&B is in an internal courtyard with other private homes, making you feel very safe in the historic center of Bologna. Perfect location if you're planning on exploring the city on foot (which I always recommend when traveling to "historic centers"). Breakfast is simple - as should be expected in Italy - but absolutely scrumptious. I told her she should sell her home-made jams!

Room Tip: I didn't see the other rooms but Cesare was HUGE and quiet, but right off the breakfast room so...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank justtojess

Reviewed December 29, 2013

The rooms are charming! Parking is atrocious...not forewarned!
You are not told that you have to be out of your room late morning or it is not cleaned and fresh towels provided! The owner is curt, insensitive and argumentative. We never had breakfast because you had to have it early...not stated in info.
The owner needs to accommodate guests not cleaning people!
We would not stay there again!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mariafromboston
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Our large room was frescoed and the ceiling was 18ft high! Fantastic location, local to all a traveller's needs - gelati, pasta, coffee, piazzas and churches.
However the 'welcome' certainly needs some kindness - we had had a very long journey and were met by the owner with 'passports' (not even please), she had run out of town maps, it was a bother when we required some hot water - which was met with a huff - and not even boiled, on day of leaving we went to pay and were told 'yes, and we are fully booked so need the room as soon as possible', (charmless). On returning home we had received an email telling us to pay and check out - we were staying - why are you emailing us? Where is the friendliness, - a pleasure to have you here, welcome to our city etc. ?

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Diana W
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Excellent place with a cute courtyard in front. Beautiful, spacious rooms with frescoes on the ceilings, and a large, clean bathroom. The courtyard didn't exactly feel like a natural place to hang out for me and my two friends. However, with nice parks and piazzas close by, we truly enjoyed our time at the Zucchini. The street next to our room got a little loud early in the morning, but that's what you get when you look for a central B&B. Good breakfast with delicious cappuccini. Ilaria, the hostess, is friendly and helpful, but respects your privacy.

Thanks for a wonderful stay, Ilaria!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Kristin B
Reviewed May 2, 2013

The loviest rooms we have ever stayed in. So much space in the rooms, it is like staying in an apartment. Breakfast needs some work: with a city full of amazing meats, why serve the indelible ham? Otherwise, it is a wonderful place to stay in Bologna.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Wildflower1980
Reviewed September 18, 2012

This B&B is a gem in the heart of Bologna. Extremely well located in the city centre and still an oasis of peace. When the huge wooden doors close behind you you enter into a new world combining hospitality and privacy. I had to pleasure to stay in the Cesare room, a huge room, separate bath room and airconditioning. The bed was very good and the facilities top quality. The other part, the breakfast, is convenient, tasty and home-made. I can recommend this place to any one, single or couple, who wants to stay in Bologna and enjoy every part of it. Ilaria, her husband and her sister will see to the rest.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank SaltandPepr
Reviewed June 30, 2012

Ilaria's been very quick to respond to all my emails, and was also very accomodating with all of our requests. She's pleasant and the perfect hostess. Before I booked the hotel, I was attracted to the frescoes on the ceilings and really seeing them with my own eyes is so much more amazing... Love the room, the bathroom was spacious. Rooms are well-maintained. The B&B is very centrally located - Piazza Maggiore is only 5 to 7 minutes walk away and some of the best trattorias are also just 5 minutes walk away. Ilaria had some really great restaurant recommendations too. The Bologna market is also about 7 to 10 minutes walk away. Definitely going to come back - this was a great B&B - great location, great service, great rooms!! and Wifi available free of charge, even though connectivity from our room (guido) wasn't too good. I figured it might have been the doors/walls.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends