“Most memorable day in Italia!”

Bologna Cooking School
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: A real Bolognese home cooking school in Bologna from "native Bolognesi." The better way for being able to appreciate the "Cucina Bolognese."
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Most memorable day in Italia!”
Reviewed January 5, 2012

We thoroughly enjoyed the half day class and market visit, which doubled as a walking tour of nearly the entire historic district! Carlo and his sister Gabriella were charming during this highly instructive and intimate class, and we enjoyed the best meal we've had thus far in Italy. Carlo is a native of the city and his English is fantastic. If you only have one day in Bologna, this is the way to spend it!

New York City, New York
“Wonderful Cooking Class with Lots of Personality”
Reviewed January 3, 2012

We had several cooking classes during our roadtrip in Italy. Where Big Carlo's class stood out was in the traditional and intensive pasta-making lesson. We made 3 different types of pasta - tortellini, tortelloni, and of course the traditional tagliatelle al ragu. This is not a demo though, so be prepared to be on your feet for several hours. All in all, the food was delicious and the company was delightful!

Visited July 2011
SF Bay Area
150 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 78 helpful votes
“Our favorite day in Bologna”
Reviewed October 26, 2011

My husband, teenage son and I signed up for the Bologna Cooking School on our recent trip to Italy and had a fabulous time! We met Carlo at his apartment and walked to the market to shop for ingredients. It was fun and educational even though there was not as much activity at this time of year due to Italians literally leaving for vacation. We were able to sample various items and had our questions answered. Then we headed back to Carlo's apartment where his assistant Lucianna taught us how to make pasta dough which we later used to make our tagliatelli and also our tortellini and tortelloni. We learned how to make the stuffings for the tortellini and tortelloni and had an entertaining time mastering the art of stuffing the pasta. We also learned how to make a traditional Bologna ragu for our tagliatelli. After all of our hard (and fun!) work we ate one of the best meals of our stay in Italy - and we created it!! It was a veritable feast! Carlo brought out his traditional aged balsamic (not the cheap stuff) to drizzle on our appetizer (melon with mortadella, fig with prosciutto, olives and 30 month parmegiano with balsamic) and it was accompanied by Prosecco and followed by a Caprese salad. The next course, which was my son's favorite, was the tortellini in brodo (broth). Next came the tortelloni in a butter and sage sauce and then the ragu Bolognese with the tagliatelli accompanied by a Sangiovese wine. And then dessert ... I can hardly believe I ate all of this ... peaches with Prosecco followed by tiramisu and some of Carlo's homemade Limoncello! Typing all of this makes me want to go back and do it all again!! It was not cheap, but it was so worth it! It was a lot of fun in a relaxed setting and so delicious - I really can't recommend it highly enough.

Visited August 2011
1 Thank EBTravelGirl
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
111 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 303 helpful votes
“It made our trip!”
Reviewed October 20, 2011

My wife and I were in Italy in November of 2010 to see all the sights. This year we came back to EAT! This was one-on-one cooking experience with a real Italian Family, in their home. As the other reviews have said it is not a "school" (I hated school when I was a kid) this was a fun experience where you learn how to cook hands on, no studying, or boring books. I can now make pasta at any time, I had no idea it was so simple. Carlo and his family are warm, welcoming, and friendly. I don't need to repeat what the other reviews said, we are there the day after the October 7th 2011 review and had the same great experience!

Visited October 2011
1 Thank BethlehemPaUSA
Green Bay
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Unforgettable experience with true Bolognese chefs”
Reviewed October 10, 2011

What an unbelievable experience. Big Carlo met me in my hotel lobby to begin our lengthy market tour. As we perused the many stands and purchased the items for our cooking class, Big Carlo shared with me many tips on Bologna history as well as the best food items and local cooking concepts. We visited beautiful cheese and meat markets and Big Carlo was welcomed by all and introduced me to many of the people. They were all wonderfully welcoming and friendly and I was often offered tastes along the way! After a quick espresso, we headed back to his large apartment to begin cooking. His sister, Gabriella, joined in the teaching as well. We began with the pasta making. Measuring, mixing, kneeding and rolling out the dough. Cutting, filling and shaping the pasta was new and exciting for me and Gabriella was patient and helpful, even though she spoke only Italian. I think this language barrier added to the experience as it forced me to use my limited Italian! We made tortelloni, tortellini, and tagliatelle all by hand - and shared many smiles and laughs. Big Carlo showed me how to make the delicious ragu alla Bolognese right in his very own kitchen. I also enjoyed tasting the parmigiano cheese drizzled with the remarkable, aged balsamic vinegar. The fresh mozzarella and the prosciutto were the best I've ever had! After all of our hard work, we enjoyed a giant feast. First the antipasti served with a glass of Prosecco, then the delicous tortellini in brodo. Next came a hearty dish of a ricotta i spinachi stuffed tortelloni served with a lovely red wine. By this time, I was so full but excited and determined to try the many dishes I'd had a hand in preparing! The final main dish was the wonderful tagliatelle served with the ragu alla Bolognese. As if this wasn't enough, the main dishes were followed by a deliciously sweet and very large dessert of apricots in Prosecco. Carlo finished off the enormous meal with a generous portion of his signature tiramisu along with tips on preparing it back at home. It was heavy on the cream, just the way I love it! Before my day ended, I was given a book of all of the recipes with detailed pictures and instructions in order to prepare them all back at home. I will never forget this day. I felt that the experience was remarkable. I was in a typical Italian home with actual Italian people. It was a glimpse that I don't believe most tourists are given. I can't wait to show my children how to prepare the wonderful food!

Visited October 2011