“Taste of Italy- fun and inspiring!”
Review of Taste of Italy

Taste of Italy
More attraction details
Owner description: Italian cooking lessons in an Italian home! We are happy to teach you how to prepare authentic Italian dishes and although we are friendly, we are also quite serious about teaching you the right way to make these dishes and ensuring that you will be able to replicate these back home. Your success back home is our objective. We are professional and experienced but not stuffy or arrogant. Our specialty is pasta making, the old fashioned way; the way the Italian grandma's still make it (with a wooden rolling pin and board)! You will make several pasta shapes and sauces and won't miss anything! We also teach how to cook with local specialties like Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, Traditional Balsamic Vinegar, Bologna Mortadella and Prosciutto from Parma. We cook with fresh seasonal produce, meats, and seafood. Lessons are personalized and held in small groups (1-3, up to 6 if related or close friends) to assure plenty of one-on-one attention. Our hands-on cooking lessons are held in a home setting. No surcharge for single participants or private lessons. Discounts for children. Lessons available in English, Spanish or Italian.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children, Stairs / elevator
Reviewed April 15, 2013

I was impressed by Maribels knowledge in regards to the details of the aceto, the balsamico, the sweets, the pastas,vegetables as well as the cheeses. Where to go, what to buy reasonably in the market etc.
I enjoyed the market tour with her a whole lot. I think it is a "must" to better understand what one gets before you go cooking! Maribel is not only a good teacher but also very personable and easy going.
We had great fun. I enjoyed learning new techniqes from her that I had no idea about....
You need to find out for yourself! I vote for "excellent!"
Parry B. Bologna

in 9 reviews
"panna cotta"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed April 3, 2013

My wife and I spent a lovely half day with Maribel, firstly shopping for locally sourced produce in Bologna's historic central market area, and then returning to Maribel's apartment to cook and eat a delicious four course lunch together.

We both had a wonderful time and even the weather was lovely....

1  Thank ChristianPoulton
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Spending the day shopping in Bologna's markets and making pasta with Maribel Agulio of Taste of Italy is a fantastic way to experience the culture and flavors of Italy. I included a stop in Bologna in our week in Italy because it is known as the food center of Italy and thought it would be a great place to learn how to make pasta. I am SO glad to have had that instinct and to have selected Taste of Italy for the lesson. Maribel is a terrific teacher and is great fun to spend the day with. She also knows all the shop keepers, so we got "an insiders" tour of the food shops. She got my teenage daughter (who is not very involved in cooking at home) totally involved in making the pasta and bragging about her technique which was, in fairness, better than mine. This was the day from our trip that I know we will both remember vividly for a long time

Reviewed March 24, 2013

Taking a pasta making class is a must-do for any food lover travelling in Italy, especially in Bologna. The egg-based tagliatelle and tortellini are at the heart of Bolognese culture (and oh so delicious!).

I'm an American living in Bologna, and have been here just over one year. I took my Mom, who was visiting me in Bologna, to Taste of Italy last September for the Traditional Bolognese Fresh Pasta 1 class with owner Maribel. We were joined by an American couple visiting Bologna, so our group size was four. We made three different types of pasta: tagliatelle al ragù, tortelloni di zucca, and farfalle in a Napoletan tomato sauce. The tortelloni was topped with butter and some of the treasured balsamico tradizionale di Modena Everything was delicious.

I had a couple experiences learning how to roll out pasta by hand before taking class with Maribel. But in Maribel's class it finally clicked. What I really enjoyed about this class in comparison to others is that everyone worked their own piece of dough, so you experienced all steps of the process from start to finish and got a feel for what the dough should feel like at each step. This sense for what the dough should feel like is INVALUABLE if you plan to try this at home. Pasta dough is a fickle thing; the amount of flour you add varies depending on the amount of liquid in the eggs and the temperature and humidity on that particular day. The only way to learn how to make good pasta dough alone is to get your hands on some dough under the guidance of a good teacher or experienced pasta maker. Additionally, Maribel used a unique "window-washing" rolling technique that differed slightly from the other method I'd seen. This technique also clicked better for me and I think is an easier technique for beginners to pick up.

My Mom and I are hooked on homemade pasta, and I'm now the proud owner of a jumbo rolling pin and pasta board, and have many more pasta tools on my wish list. If you're a food lover like me, you will be wowed at how the simple combination of egg and flour can create delicious pasta, and how many different types of pasta you can make with the same sheet of dough. You'll wonder why you've been eating boxed pasta for so long.

See more reviews
Reviewed February 28, 2013

I was drawn to Bologna by the food. Like everyone else on the planet, I knew that the heart and soul of classic Italian cuisine was born in this city, and before I ever knew about Maribel and her cooking school, A Taste of Italy, I knew that I wanted to make it my own. Maribel has spent the better part of her life in Italy cultivating her know-how by scouring markets, seeking out handwritten cookbooks and spying on ancient Italian grandmothers in an effort to absorb every little detail, right down to the pressure one exerts while rolling out pasta, or how much parmesan cheese is meant by "a pinch". The class was fascinating, to put it simply. What I didn't know going into the experience is that the real essence of this food is captured kinaesthetically. If you want to learn it, you have to learn in with your hands. For this, there is no better teacher than Maribel, and no better city to learn it in than Bologna.

3  Thank aejae212