“Will never buy pasta again!”
Review of Taste of Italy

Taste of Italy
More attraction details
Owner description: Italian cooking lessons in an Italian home! We are happy to teach you how to prepare authentic Italian dishes and although we are friendly, we are also quite serious about teaching you the right way to make these dishes and ensuring that you will be able to replicate these back home. Your success back home is our objective. We are professional and experienced but not stuffy or arrogant. Our specialty is pasta making, the old fashioned way; the way the Italian grandma's still make it (with a wooden rolling pin and board)! You will make several pasta shapes and sauces and won't miss anything! We also teach how to cook with local specialties like Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, Traditional Balsamic Vinegar, Bologna Mortadella and Prosciutto from Parma. We cook with fresh seasonal produce, meats, and seafood. Lessons are personalized and held in small groups (1-3, up to 6 if related or close friends) to assure plenty of one-on-one attention. Our hands-on cooking lessons are held in a home setting. No surcharge for single participants or private lessons. Discounts for children. Lessons available in English, Spanish or Italian.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Stairs / elevator, Activities for older children
Gold Coast
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Will never buy pasta again!”
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Our culinery lives have changed forever after this hands on class. My partner and I (31&32yrs old) opted for the market tour first to buy all the ingredients we needed to cook. Maribel was fantastic in explaning the foods and flavours and what people in the region cook. Great to get inside knowledge on what places to go back to and buy items like Olive oil, balsamic vinegar at good prices. We were to make 3 types of pasta and 3 sauces. I saw zucchini flowers which is something we don't get alot of where we live. I asked if we could cook them and Maribel happy said yes which was a lovely bonus, we even stuffed them with beautiful ricotta.
We went back to Maribel's place and it was great seeing how locals live, but it was straight into making pasta. What a great experience and even better we weren't in a kitchen with 20 other people. I actually got really nervous, but Maribel was great in talking things through slowly and guiding us. The food we made was AMAZING. I will never buy pasta again. We have come home and are searching the internet for giant wooden rolling pins and boards. We are going to have a pasta making weekend and make bags of pasta for our friends for Christmas.
Everything was fresh, beautiful and full of flavour. I can't recommend this class enough. I also 100% recommend you go in the morning to the markets with Maribel.

If you read this Maribel.......We had such a lovely day and thank you for dropping us back on the edge of the city. We loved our afternoon gelati. We bought some wine, pears and cheese and went back to our B&B. I was writting in my diary about the amazing day we had with you when Jeremy PROPOSED! So a wonderful day cooking, drinking and laughing was finished by an amazing proposal while watching the sun set over Bologna!

1 Thank nuttie16
TasteofItaly, Proprietario at Taste of Italy, responded to this review, October 20, 2012
Hello there, nuttie, ;)
I am SO happy for you and Jeremy. How exciting to have been part of what turned out to be a day to remember. I have goosebumps just thinking about how surprised you must have been when he proposed. :) Congratulations to you both!

New York City, New York
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Italy at its BEST”
Reviewed October 17, 2012

If you're looking for that unique experience you'll always remember when you reminisce about your trip to Italy, this is it. Maribel met me in the market and gave me a tour of all the local shops and gave an in depth explanation of the produce. She even put me to a taste test, buying a fruit I never tried - which was particularly delicious. We went back over to her apartment and started making pasta. Throughout the whole lesson, she was super encouraging and complimentary. I'm super grateful for the confidence she helped me build in my knife skills (which I was severly lacking). We made three fantastic dishes and tried all of them together over lunch. A day with Maribel is as great as a day with a close friend - except with Maribel, there's amazing food involved!

Visited October 2012
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Delizioso!”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

I was prompted to do Maribel's cooking class following the excellent reviews in Trip Advisor, and I was most grateful that I did! A lovely tour of the market kicked off the day, followed by a short drive to Maribel's apartment to make the most amazing pasta dishes, 3 varieties with exceptionally good produce and a homely, comfortable setting in which to create and enjoy them!

Irvine, California
“Authentic Italian Cooking Experience”
Reviewed October 14, 2012

My friend and I had a lesson with Maribel. She is very knowledgeable and extremely friendly. She made the pasta making for beginners like us very easy and fun. We had such wonderful meal afterwards. The food we made were so authentic and unforgettable. I would recommend anyone who wants to have homemade pasta sign up for the cooking lesson with Maribel. It surely will be an experience you won't forget!!

Greensboro, North Carolina
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Wonderful Experience”
Reviewed September 23, 2012

On our recent trip to Italy, this was the part I was looking forward to the most. It did not disappoint. I learned so much from Maribel over the course of the 6 hours we spent together. I felt like I really got a handle on making pasta from scratch, and can't wait to try it at home. My wife was a little nervous about the class because she doesn't do as much cooking as I do, but by the end of the lesson, she was rolling the pasta better than I was -- a true testament to Maribel's teaching skills. Don't miss the market tour, as we found it very informative and enlightening. We just wish we could get those kinds of fresh fruits and vegetables here in the States. This experience was worth every euro, and the satisfaction we got from eating a fantastic meal that we prepared ourselves was wonderful.