“Italy at its BEST”
Review of Taste of Italy

Taste of Italy
More attraction details
Owner description: Italian cooking lessons in an Italian home! We are happy to teach you how to prepare authentic Italian dishes and although we are friendly, we are also quite serious about teaching you the right way to make these dishes and ensuring that you will be able to replicate these back home. Your success back home is our objective. We are professional and experienced but not stuffy or arrogant. Our specialty is pasta making, the old fashioned way; the way the Italian grandma's still make it (with a wooden rolling pin and board)! You will make several pasta shapes and sauces and won't miss anything! We also teach how to cook with local specialties like Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, Traditional Balsamic Vinegar, Bologna Mortadella and Prosciutto from Parma. We cook with fresh seasonal produce, meats, and seafood. Lessons are personalized and held in small groups (1-3, up to 6 if related or close friends) to assure plenty of one-on-one attention. Our hands-on cooking lessons are held in a home setting. No surcharge for single participants or private lessons. Discounts for children. Lessons available in English, Spanish or Italian.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Stairs / elevator, Activities for older children
New York City, New York
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Italy at its BEST”
Reviewed October 17, 2012

If you're looking for that unique experience you'll always remember when you reminisce about your trip to Italy, this is it. Maribel met me in the market and gave me a tour of all the local shops and gave an in depth explanation of the produce. She even put me to a taste test, buying a fruit I never tried - which was particularly delicious. We went back over to her apartment and started making pasta. Throughout the whole lesson, she was super encouraging and complimentary. I'm super grateful for the confidence she helped me build in my knife skills (which I was severly lacking). We made three fantastic dishes and tried all of them together over lunch. A day with Maribel is as great as a day with a close friend - except with Maribel, there's amazing food involved!

Visited October 2012

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Delizioso!”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

I was prompted to do Maribel's cooking class following the excellent reviews in Trip Advisor, and I was most grateful that I did! A lovely tour of the market kicked off the day, followed by a short drive to Maribel's apartment to make the most amazing pasta dishes, 3 varieties with exceptionally good produce and a homely, comfortable setting in which to create and enjoy them!

Irvine, California
“Authentic Italian Cooking Experience”
Reviewed October 14, 2012

My friend and I had a lesson with Maribel. She is very knowledgeable and extremely friendly. She made the pasta making for beginners like us very easy and fun. We had such wonderful meal afterwards. The food we made were so authentic and unforgettable. I would recommend anyone who wants to have homemade pasta sign up for the cooking lesson with Maribel. It surely will be an experience you won't forget!!

Greensboro, North Carolina
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Wonderful Experience”
Reviewed September 23, 2012

On our recent trip to Italy, this was the part I was looking forward to the most. It did not disappoint. I learned so much from Maribel over the course of the 6 hours we spent together. I felt like I really got a handle on making pasta from scratch, and can't wait to try it at home. My wife was a little nervous about the class because she doesn't do as much cooking as I do, but by the end of the lesson, she was rolling the pasta better than I was -- a true testament to Maribel's teaching skills. Don't miss the market tour, as we found it very informative and enlightening. We just wish we could get those kinds of fresh fruits and vegetables here in the States. This experience was worth every euro, and the satisfaction we got from eating a fantastic meal that we prepared ourselves was wonderful.

Elora, Canada
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“Don't Miss This Bologna Experience!”
Reviewed September 19, 2012

Taste of Italy was a wonderful way to experience life in Bologna. At the time of booking we were given a choice of foods we would like to cook and we chose "Cooking With Parmigiano Reggiano". Maribel met us at a cafe in central Bologna and took us on a tour of the market which was exceptional and very interesting. Maribel is fluent in English so she was able to answer any questions and gave great explanations on a variety of subjects. She took us to a variety of shops to purchase the ingredients for our dishes, all the while giving helpful tips and suggestions. She is terrific! After the market tour we went to her lovely home and proceeded to make several dishes, all with different ages of Parmigiano Reggiano. The food was fantastic and we really enjoyed Maribel's company. It was a very enjoyable day and one of the highlights of our trip to Italy!!