“Fantastic local osteria”

Antica Osteria Romagnola
Reserve with
Antica Osteria Romagnola is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #318 of 1,809 Restaurants in Bologna
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children
Neighborhood: Santo Stefano
Bath, United Kingdom
“Fantastic local osteria”
Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

The chances of finding this without a recommendation are almost zero - but it is well worth seeking out. We loved the local feel, the verbal menu, the smooth Sangiovese and the outstanding quality of the food. Our main courses were turbot braised with vegetables and beautifully soft beef in red wine sauce. We were lucky to be recommended.

• Hebrew first
Thousand Oaks, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Meal of a lifetime”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

My husband and I went to this wonderful little gem on the recommendation of our hotel. I requested a place where locals would eat so that we could enjoy a typical Bolognese meal. I was not disappointed. I was served a magnificent tortolloni with shaved white truffles and a spectacular roast suckling pig. My husband has a pasta dish and rabbit, which he also enjoyed, but my choice was definitely better. The meal was so good, we returned the next day for dinner as well. The owner, Antonio is a delightful gentleman. As far as service, one must remember that we are in Italy, not in the world of fast food. Dinner is meant to be a relaxing occasion at the the Antica Osteria Romagnola it definitely was!

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank Eleanor W
Geneva, Switzerland
“Nothing special”
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Compare to the other restaurants in Bologna the food there is average.

Service you get will greatly depend on how many customers are there and how much food you have ordered. There were only one efficient but smileless waitress and the owner who serve the whole restaurant.

When we asked the waitress for the bill, it took her a long while to talk to the owner (after running back and forth the kitchen and the tables to serve or collect the dishes first), and the owner spent at least 10 minutes talking to a couple who sat not far from us before went to the cashier to prepare the bill. At the end we waited for more than 15 minutes for the bill.

Not recommended.

• Visited October 2012
2 Thank Juliana_ngyc
Perth, Australia
“OMG - The Porchetta!”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

This little Osteria in walking distance of the town centre is heavenly. There would not be more than 20 tables and there are no menus but the lovely owner of the osteria comes to your table and recites the menu which has some daily changes. He is so charming and sweet.

We shared an antipasto then my husband had tagliatelle with a truffle sauce and I had lasagne with porcini and speck sauce. We then shared the prochetta and all I can say is "oh my god!".

Both courses were sensational. The pastas were home made and very tasty but the prochetta was unreal! It was served hot with a fennel and slight chilli sauce. The skin was crispy and the meat so tender after a loving and slow cooking process and was served with rosemary roast potatoes.

My one big tip is to ask what is for the main course before you order the first course or already know you are going to share the porchetta and order first course accordingly. We had pasta as the first course and couldn't finish the porchetta. I want to go back to finish it!

Visited October 2012
1 Thank sbe123
Oxford, United Kingdom
“One of our best meals in Bologna!”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

The food was truly outstanding and it deserves to be much higher ranked on Trip Advisor. We went here on our last night of a week's stay in Bologna (on the recommendation of our hotel's concierge) and we got a fantastic taste of authentic Bolognese cooking. In the winter the menu is mainly meat based, while in the summer the chef favours fish. We enjoyed a fantastic appetiser of mixed seafood, then two fantastic pasta dishes (mine: spaghetti with clams; my wife: pasta with beans and mussels - this was one of the best pasta courses of our three week stay in Italy), and then a beautiful sea bass for my wife and the most tender, melt-in-the mouth tuna coated in sesame seeds for me. I've never tasted tuna like it in my life, delicious! Unlike other reviewers, I found the service to be absolutely fine - the owner was friendly and ran through the menu with us in reasonable English, while the waitress - although somewhat brusque - was attentive and efficient enough. But the star of the show is definitely the food and the very impressive wine list. I would definitely return here the next time we're in Bologna.

• Visited September 2012