“One of our best meals in Bologna!”

Antica Osteria Romagnola
Reserve with
Antica Osteria Romagnola is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #378 of 1,947 Restaurants in Bologna
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Santo Stefano
Reviewed October 1, 2012

The food was truly outstanding and it deserves to be much higher ranked on Trip Advisor. We went here on our last night of a week's stay in Bologna (on the recommendation of our hotel's concierge) and we got a fantastic taste of authentic Bolognese cooking. In the winter the menu is mainly meat based, while in the summer the chef favours fish. We enjoyed a fantastic appetiser of mixed seafood, then two fantastic pasta dishes (mine: spaghetti with clams; my wife: pasta with beans and mussels - this was one of the best pasta courses of our three week stay in Italy), and then a beautiful sea bass for my wife and the most tender, melt-in-the mouth tuna coated in sesame seeds for me. I've never tasted tuna like it in my life, delicious! Unlike other reviewers, I found the service to be absolutely fine - the owner was friendly and ran through the menu with us in reasonable English, while the waitress - although somewhat brusque - was attentive and efficient enough. But the star of the show is definitely the food and the very impressive wine list. I would definitely return here the next time we're in Bologna.

2  Thank Gavin B

Reviewed September 28, 2012

We went here for our last meal in Bologna on the recommendation of our hotel concierge. It didn't disappoint! The waiter (maybe the manager actually) explained the entire menu in English for us and helped with suggestions. Let him talk you into the mixed starters to share, it was really tasty. We both enjoyed amazing primi's and secondi's, but the rare sesame tuna was the highlight, absolutely delicious!!

2  Thank Lynn B
Reviewed September 25, 2012

We were recommended the restaurant by a friend as one with very good food, and if was nice. As all Italian food, it offers a good selection of nice food, but don't expect a foody masterpiece - just a wholesome homemade food, paired with pleasant atmosphere and some background music.

There is just one big drawback - there are no menus. And i thought at first they just didn't have them in English, but the waited recited all dishes in Italian for local guests, so you have to rely on your, and your waiter's memory to choose your meal. We went for seafood starters and were then only offered seafood mains, without realising that there were meat options available until we overheard them being offered to other guests - slightly disappointing.

We were then offered an appetiser, which they 'normally serve to all guests'. Expecting something along the lines of olives and bread, we were pleasantly surprised with a platter of delicious seafood selection, but then were a bit put off, when we got charged 14EUR for that...

All in all, if you fancy a gamble, it's not a bad place to try, but don't count on knowing, what you will be eating until it's brought to the table.

1  Thank Zennju
Reviewed July 8, 2012 via mobile

The night before we dined at the number 2 ranked trip advisor restaurant in Bologna. Our meal tonight was a whole another level of culinary execution. The restaurant was recommended by our hotel and a wine maker that we visited earlier in the day. I am glad we did not check out the restaurant's trip advisor ranking, because we would have been scared off. The meal has been one of the best meals I have had in a long time. Here is why:

The owner demonstrated passion to please us. Eventhough his English is not that good, he personally went over his specials with us. He was genuinely interested in us feeling welcome in his restaurant.

All of his specials had a high degree of complexity to them. There were several great appetizer choices. We selected to share the tortollini with white truffles. I am attaching a picture. The appetizer was pretty, ate extremely well and was reasonably priced.

For our entrees, my wife selected bronzini over tomatoes, paper thin ribbons of potatoes, and artichoke hearts in a wine broth. The dish was prepared in a clear type parchment paper. The paper was opened table side, and the aroma was wonderful. The dish ate extremely well.

For my entree I selected red snapper prepared in a sealed jar to lock in the flavors. My meal was tremendous.

For dessert we shared a strawberry tiramasou. It was great. At the time of dessert the owner brought out at no charge a peach after dinner drink that was quite good.

Our two entrees, two appetizers, dessert and a bottle of sparkling white wine was extremely reasonably priced at $107 Euros. When the bill came the owner also brought out a 1/4 bottle of lemon cello at no charge. I am not saying that on every dining occasion so many items will be comped, I am saying that for us it demonstrated that he really enjoys taking care of his customers.

This was a great meal, and I hope that you have the opportunity of dining here.

2  Thank Kirkhalpern
Reviewed June 18, 2012

Very personal attention - it seemed the person who took our order was also preparing the food (not sure about this, but he really knew everything about the menu.) Food was very good, huge portions, and good enough that we went back for a second meal.