“NOT GOOD AT ALL , BASIC, BORING, BLAND”

Trattoria Anna Maria
Ranked #690 of 1,974 Restaurants in Bologna
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: San Vitale
Description: Since 30 years, Anna Maria serves its customers with quality dishes in full respect of reak bolognese cookery. Every day she chooses first rate products for her cooks in order to cook fresh pasta and genuine food by hand.
Reviewed December 31, 2012

This is another restaurant a taxi driver recommended to me so I chose to go there with my lovely man who is Italian . I was promised it is the best trattoria in Bologna .
IT IS NOT...
It is terrible , the staff are disinterested , plainly not proud of what they serve , and do the minimum .
Cooks are hanging about in the dining room near the kitchen door , with nothing to do and Anna Maria was no where to be seen until about half an hour into the experience.
The cooks are all Asian , and this is not racist , but when i go to China i prefer my Dim sum to not be made by Italians .
The Pasta I had which was Torteloni was good , simply served with sage and butter sauce.. I opted for this because I imagined Anna Maria herself might be responsible for the making of the pastas . My lovely man had the Liver ala veneziana ...It was a disaster and the less said about it the better . We shared a creme caramel , which was presented in a way that might have suggested it had been dropped on the plate from a meters distance , the presentation was so sloppy.
The crew in the kitchen as we left were all hovered around a tv watching some game show , which was obviously priority over the 3 tables of diners in the restaurant that evening .
The menu was basic, bland and very boring . My suggestion would be for Anna Maria to hang up her apron strings , sell the restaurant and let some fresh blood do some creative cooking there.
It was a disappointment thats for sure .

Reviewed December 2, 2012

We've been travelling in the Emilia Romagna region for over 30 days and have eaten in loads of restaurants. We thought The food here was extremely ordnary, except for the pasta which was pretty good.
But what really got us was that, believe it or not, they appeared to have two Separate sections ; one for English speaking tourists and the other for Italian speakers. I knew you wouldn't believe it. The second thing that surprised us was the coperto (cover charge) was 8 euros for 2 people. We have been used to paying 2-4 euros at a trattoria.
Needless to say we left disappointed.

1  Thank Volante12
Reviewed November 5, 2012

This restaurant is known for its handmade tortellini. In brodo, with meat sauce, all are delicious. Anna Maria and her restaurant are charming. Good wine, tasty dessert, perfect evening!

Reviewed November 4, 2012

I read a review of this restaurant in the Guardian newspaper as one of the best restaurants to visit in Bologna. On arrival we were greeted by an airless, hot restaurant which had a nasty smell to it eminating from the kitchen. For his starter my husband ordered Tortellini in Brodo which frankly looked and tasted like it had come out of a packet. I chose Gnocchi Gorgonzola which was only OK. My husband then chose steak which was gristly & fatty. I chose duck which was overcooked and dry. We had house red wine which was not great. The meal came to 73 euros which we considered to be outrageous considering the quality of the food. Two nights before we had eaten an absolutely delicious meal at the Drogheria Della Rosa which was properly hand cooked food made with passion and proper skill. This meal had also cost us 73 euros but for 4 courses served with delightful service along with a fantastic atmosphere. Don't waste your money at Trattoria Anna Maria & go to Drogheria Della Rosa instead!

1  Thank Vilene
Reviewed November 4, 2012

In short, there was positives and negatives from our trip to Anna Maria for lunch. The food we got was simple but tastey pasta dishes, with lots of taste and reasonable portions. The recommended white wine was also very enjoyable.

For me though, the experience was not wholly enjoyable, as the bread sticks were not fresh and the meal was costly for what we ordered. This was not my major issue with Anna Maria though. As stated by another reviewer (4th Oct 2012), the waiter tried to add on additional charges to our bill. Although not great charges, the fact that this was identified as an issue before and still, their dishonesty remains, is very disappointing. This was compounded by the lack of empathy and a genuine apology.

As we left the restaurant, not one of the three waiters/ owners present did not say a simple thank you or goodbye. I have given Anna Maria a rating of 2 but this was mainly for the experience and not the food itself.