“Great location, average hotel”

Espressohotel Bologna Centrale
Ranked #69 of 104 Hotels in Bologna
London
“Great location, average hotel”
Reviewed December 4, 2013

Stayed here for one night on a work trip and for the short stay is was adequate, but I would have been disappointed if it was a holiday . The location is brilliant, 10 minutes walking from the centre of town which is pretty in parts, and extremely run down in others - fascinating to walk through the city. Check in was swift, impersonal and gave me the feeling we were about to stay in student digs. The hotel is really modern, clean lines and a little sterile - lacking in any real personality. My room echoed the atmosphere of reception, it was on the second floor and really had no redeeming features - my window looked out onto the walkway beyond and was a little disconcerting. The room was clean, bed was comfortable enough and the bathroom was unexciting and a little shabby around the edges. Perhaps rooms higher up were a little more comfortable. Breakfast was underwhelming, cereal and toast, not much hot food on offer. The staff congregated around the bar but were helpful when approached. I was thankful to be out in the city for most of the day and evening. Fortunately, Bologna has lots to offers and is definitely worth a visit, I would return, but not to this hotel. The price versus the offering didn't stack up for me.

Room Tip: If you do choose to stay here, ask for a room higher up to avoid being placed at street level.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Agra, India
Reviewed October 22, 2013

the rooms were nice but very cramed the wardrobe was very small the breakfast was very poor not much variety the bar had very poor collection food overall was not upto the mark .the location is perfect close to evrything in bologna

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 28, 2013

If you arrive at this hotel you should hope to be greeted by GIOVANNI-He was both genuine and caring. After having travelled to a few hotels prior in Italy, his enthusiasm for customer care was most welcome and his English was way better than my Italian- if only he could have been cloned and present at the prior hotels. This hotel was found to be in v good order, excellent position to train station-short walk to places of interest. The only negative was at our breakfast there was a major lack of quantity of food and not enough basic choice eg bread. Regular replenishment did not happen even though there was still 1 hour till breakfast ended.
If management are reading this please pass on our THANKS, again, to Giovanni and please look at your breakfast service from a travellers point. Thanks

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Stayed four nights to be based here for some one-day trips out of Bologna. Location was nice as it may take only 5 minutes from the central station and 10-15 minutes to the major sightseeing area while I felt difficult to find the place only the first time I arrived at the station. Other than typical European petit hotels, this is very stylish and modern hotel we can find in other countries.
The room was very clean and large enough, I liked the comfortable bed. Hotel staff was so kind and dealt with my question appropriately every time. Breakfast was included in my plan but it may not worth saying something particular. Nothing's good or bad, but I skipped the breakfast from the second day.
In order to use free wifi, we can get the password at the reception. As I had my own wifi router, not sure if the hotel's wifi was well or not.
Given it's nice location, I will recommend this hotel for the travelers who are planning to take trains from central station and I may also come back again if I would stay in Bologna.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
London
Reviewed September 16, 2013

I stayed in this hotel in mid August for a couple of nights and would give it a 3* rather than 4* if it was not for a rather good and competitive rate .

The hotel is conveniently located about 10 min walk from the centre of Bologna.
Train station is a couple of min away which is very convenient if you intend to explore nearby towns (I was surprised to learn that it only takes about 40min on express train to reach Florence) which is somewhat faster than the journey to the same destination from Pisa I used to take.

The hotel is located in what appears to be an apartment block facing a rather busy road.
Although I arrived rather late at around midnight receptionist was friendly enough to welcome me and he was fairly patient with me on the phone as I struggled to locate hotel entrance in the dark.

I was allocated a room which to my surprise was very small, tiny in fact containing a single bed (the room was so small it simply won't have space to accommodate two beds).

My overall impressions of the hotel are rather mixed.

Positives-good location, for both railways station and airport shuttle, and it's easy to reach city centre.

Competitive rate-I paid £75.00 for two nights (including breakfast which I chose to skip in favour of sleep) which I consider to be a rather good deal, especially for Italy where hotels in most tourist destinations are usually somewhat overpriced.

Free mini bar drinks was a nice gesture.

No so positives-
Hotel calls itself a design hotel which I would eagerly disagree-I couldn't see anything "design" there (at least how design hotels are supposed to be in 21 century). Corridors leading to rooms were rather dark and uninviting, and I thought there was a hint of unpleasant smell, the room design was rather basic displaying signs of wear and tear (there were quite a few dark marks on the wall next to my bed and elsewhere around the room, bedstead appeared also to be not very clean and there was a noticeable water mark on bathroom ceiling (see photos). I happen to see what I presume they call executive double room which apart from larger size also left a rather dull impression.
Hotel photos on travel website look rather more shiny and bright than what I saw in reality.

As I arrived to hotel late in the evening I had to walk past a lady who appeared to ply for a business discussing something with car occupants who just pulled up.
No problem for me but perhaps a solo female traveller won't feel comfortable walking there in dark hours.

View from my room was not particularly inspiring as it overlooked a roof of what I assume was a hotel restaurant located on ground floor) with numerous boxes (air conditioning? set up on it and apartment block located next to hotel building.
My room was fairly quiet and I didn't have problems with noise as such although I could hear it dimly coming through at times.

A tip-try ice scream from a parlour located next too two towers in the city centre-very delicious! :)

To summarise the hotel is fine for those who just looking for a base to explore Bologna without high expectations and indeed it offers very good value for money. Having said that the hotel management could easily improve overall experience of the property by simply giving a lick of fresh paint to walls and ceilings in bathroom to cover obvious markings and leaks in bathroom (see photos).

Those who are also looking for a truly original "design" décor and higher level of service perhaps should look elsewhere and of cause be prepared to pay more.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Lilydale, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed September 15, 2013

We recently stayed in this hotel. It was a bit shabby looking in the street from the outside, but inside is clean and neat. It is nothing special but a clean place. The rooms are a good size. They supply the first round in the mini bar for free, soft drink and water and juice. We didnt eat breakfast as it wasnt all that good. Staff and the front desk are friendly and helpful. It is very close to the station and bus terminal.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Excellent hotel and staff, especially for that price. Free drinks in minibar, free wi-fi internet access, rich breakfast with a lot of fruits. Very convenient location near the city centre. Parking in front of the hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple