“Go more than once in your life”

St. Peter's Basilica
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Arguably one of the finest Cathedrals in the entire world, St. Peter's is the spiritual center of the Vatican and the product of many of Italy's great Renaissance's architects, among them Bramante, Raphael and Michelangelo.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access
Reviewed April 15, 2015

I felt overwhelmed by the splendor and size the first time I saw it. However, the second time--a year later--was even better. The second time I knew what to expect and was able to capture everything more clearly. With so many people milling about, it didn't have a spiritual feel, which is perhaps my only disappointment.

Write a ReviewReviews (34,874)
All reviews
in 664 reviews
"lift"
in 576 reviews

Reviewed April 15, 2015

This is an amazing creation of man. It is truly over the top but it is beautiful. You cannot help but marvel at what it is and what it represents. I went on a Sunday morning during Lent and we arrived around 9 am and were in the Basilica before the start of Mass at 10:30. There are going to be lines. Expect it. But they did move quickly and once you are passed security, you can pretty much stay for as long as you like and explore as much of the church as you like. Personally, I enjoyed ascending to the top of the Cupola. It does cost 7 euros (if you take the elevator - 5 if you climb the 500 steps). It was a gorgeous day and the views from the top were amazing. Seeing Micheleangelo's Pieta was breathtaking. St. Peter's is one of the things everyone should see if they are in Rome.

Reviewed April 15, 2015

Thank goodness we didn't need to queue around the perimeter for 4/5 hours by gaining access to the Basilica from the Sistine Chapel.
The interior is amazing. On such a grand and vast scale I've never seen anything like it before.

1  Thank TravelBedfordshire
Reviewed April 15, 2015

Do not be put off by the long queue as it is fast moving.

Once you enter, you will not regret as the ceiling is amazing as are the past papals carvings.

One can even have a quite prayer even though the throng of visitors are none stop.

See more reviews
Reviewed April 15, 2015 via mobile

At the end of our amazing vatican museum and sistine chapel tour our guide 'abandoned' us at the door to st peters basilica.

Awesome building. Difficult to do justice.

Allow 45-60 mins once inside for ground floor. All we did.

Tip 1 . Completely ignore st peter's lines. Take a vatican museum tour with sistine chapel from city wonders *I got via Expedia and tag this on the end

Tip 2 download rik steves FREE audio tour for android/Iphones etc from google play/itunes . Not as good as a guided tour but after 3 guided hours I appreciated the ability to tour at my own speed.