Open today: 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM

from $71.10
from $43.60
from $42.40
15,896 results
All reviews sistine chapel guided tour skip the line in advance map room raphael rooms vatican website own pace buy your tickets works of art three hours long queue take your time st peters dress code visiting rome awe inspiring
Reviewed yesterday via mobile

We went to the Vatican early November. We paid to get early access so were one of the first people to get in at 730. We made a beeline straight to the Sistine chapel which was quiet and peaceful at that time - much recommended (we did another lap and came back an hour later and it was horrendous!)

We were rather underwhelmed by the Sistine chapel and thought it would be much more ornate (small churches on the street in Rome and more highly decorated?) and instead found the room of maps and the stanze di raffaello much more beautiful.

There are many many groups of tours which stop in the middle of rooms and block the flow, lots of rude people...

My advice would be to decide what you want to see and go and see it all early. There were so many different rooms, artefacts and information that 4 hours later we still hasn't seen everything but we were exhausted!

Book ahead. Get an audio guide. Choose what you want to see. Go EARLY.

Reviewed yesterday

what museum has to offer is great, the capela Sistina is a marvel, but the number of visitors makes it impossible to enjoy the museum :(
I am angry that they have not made a maximum of people per hour!!!

Reviewed yesterday

The Vatican Museum is huge and crowded. There is a lot of walking and a lot of stairs to climb. It is not very friendly for anyone with mobility issues. We found some elevators, but couldn't seem to find one everywhere we needed it. The art collection itself, and well as the paintings on the ceilings throughout, are beyond description. We were there for about 4 hours, and didn't see nearly everything there was to see. With limited time, we recommend the Pinacoteca section, the Gallery of Maps, and the Raphael rooms, along with the Sistine Chapel.

Reviewed yesterday via mobile

We visited the Vatican yesterday (12th Nov) and it was an amazing sight to see but unfortunately even in November it's still crowded so I wouldn't advise doing it in the height of summer.

Tour groups obstructing door ways and exhibits etc were numerous and annoying.

It took about 2 hours to reach the Sistine chapel, I was aching by the time we got there as you are stuck in a moving, shuffling herd with nowhere to sit down and rest.

Noisy, shouty staff in the Sistine chapel were a little aggravating too.

Many of the English description cards had well worn away leaving vast sections unreadable.

I recommend buying tickets online in advance like we did, our time slot was 11am and we got in easily, ticket touts are everywhere outside and will tell you differing information to try and sell you something.

Reviewed yesterday via mobile

It is a sight you want to visit - and dhould for its its historic importance
But -
The crowds (even off season!) Are ridiculously cramped, causing you to push through to sights which tour groups and rude visitors have overtaken in this spectacular place!
It is impossible to absorb the magnitude of the buildings due to masses of people. And generally, most people (some are worse,) do not take the time but only have thrir smartphones plastered to catch a picture. I saw more tourists just walking and holding their cameras in front of their faces...did they even see?
I am sure this is not the way to appreciate this ... but
Unfortunately it is the current reality.

Reviewed yesterday via mobile

The recommended viewing time is around 4 hours. I can see why, it went on forever.

Although I did only come to see the Sistine Chapel and I'm not someone who appreciates what was in there.

Reviewed yesterday via mobile

A must do as part of the Vatican tour. Paintings by Raphael, and other Renaissance greats. The map room is exquisite!

Reviewed 2 days ago via mobile

I visited the Vatican Museum during a short trip to Rome at the beginning of November. Although I was expecting to queue up as I didn't book online in advance I was not prepared for what was to come. The queue moves very slowly as priority is given to online bookings and groups. The last entry is at 4 pm and although I managed to get in, many people behind me didn't and were left really disappointed that they wasted all that time queuing up when they could have done something else. I think the crowds should be managed better maybe given an estimated waiting time at different stages in the queue like they do in some amusement parks where people queue up for rides so you can decide to stay in the queue or give up. Also, there are a lot of people offering "jump the queue" tickets for twice the entry fee who keep walking up and down try to get people to buy them,like ticket touts often found outside concert venues. Once inside the museums are as expected spectacular with the Sistine Chapel being of course the highlight. If you are claustrophobic you might want to think before visiting as the huge crowds and narrow corridors can be a bit overwhelming at times.

2  Thank Davide C
Reviewed 2 days ago via mobile

The Vatican trip when in Rome is a must. We did the guided tour which was excellent and the explanation of the Sistine chapel was enlightening! There is so much to see you won’t get it all in on the 3.5 hour tour so if you want to see the lot you may need to go unescorted.

Reviewed 2 days ago via mobile

We took the general admission for $17 euro each the queue wasn’t too bad. The skip the line was $57 euro each. We did all the museums and the Sistine Chapel. Words cannot discribe how beautiful this place was. It is a must see when in Roma