“5 STAR”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of La Pollarola

La Pollarola
Reserve with
La Pollarola is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,946 of 12,162 Restaurants in Rome
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Navona / Pantheon / Campo de’ Fiori
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“5 STAR”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2013

La Pollarola will be with me as my best meal i have had in Rome. I have been twice this year and if i go again i will return. I was served by Rocco one of the best waiters that i gave ever had. He give advice on what to eat and was charming to my whole family. I can only hope he is still there when i return

1 Thank henry g

• Polish first
Toronto, Canada
“Prepare to be delighted!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

Tucked behind the Campo dei Fiori & filled more with locals than tourists, it is well worth it to seek out La Pollarola. Welcomed to the restaurant like old friends, we decided to let our waiter design our meal and we were utterly delighted with each course. The prices are very reasonable, the food was fresh (& beautifully prepared and presented), and the evening's conversations with our waiter (Rocco) utterly enjoyable. Sit outside if you can to also enjoy watching life in Rome from your table---but, seriously, with food as delicious as this, you need no more entertainment than what is on your plate. Enjoy!

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank flickett
Boston, MA
“Buonissimo!! ...so delicious!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2013

Rome has always had a solid reputation for delicious food and restaurants. And I don't doubt that for a bit. After dining at La Pollarola, I realized that this place must be one of Rome's best-kept secrets. From the location, to the unique dishes, to the service; this place is truly quite an experience. For those of you searching for a culinary experience like no other, look no further than La Pollarola.

Nestled amid the lofts and showrooms that pepper the city’s trendy Campo di Fiori district, La Pollarola is simply one of a kind. Now, I was always warned about trying restaurants located near some of the major tourist locations (such as Piazza Navona or Campo di Fiori); however, this place will not disappoint. It isn't like some of the other restaurants that are in the middle of those piazzas, this one sits on the outskirts and I am SO happy we explored the streets of Rome to find this spot.

So enough about location, let's talk mangiare (that's "food" for those non-Italian speakers ;). We got there around 7:30pm on Saturday night in July. Considering we were hungry before typical Italian dinnertime, we were seated rather quickly. The ambiance is just beautiful; the restaurant is dimly lit, making for a very romantic date night. There are a number of built in, carefully constructed shelves, that contain many bottles of vintage wines. The atmosphere definitely makes you feel like you are in the heart of Italy. The waiter came to our table, we ordered house wine (red) and they brought out some of the most delicious tasting bread with olive oil (for dipping) on the side. Sadly, I sometimes judge a restaurant right off the bat by the quality of the bread...this bread tasted like it had just come out of the oven -- hard and crispy on the outside and chewy (with just enough air pockets) on the inside. My nonna used to determine whether or not her homemade bread came out good by determining whether or not there were a sufficient number of air pockets inside! This would have passed my nonna's test for sure.

For our appetizer, we ordered the antipasti with formaggi. The antipasti included a wide array of olives, cheeses (romano, parmesan), salami and grilled octupus (Yum!!). It tasted as though the octupus had been marinated in a lemon/olive oil blend. The octupus was as tender as can be. We would definitely ordere this dish again.

For my entree, I ordered the pasta con vongole (pasta with clams) and my boyfriend ordered the lasagna. Both were magnificent! The pasta on both dishes was cooked al dente (meaning "with a bite"), growing up in an Italian family - one of my biggest pet peeves was feasting on overcooked, mushy pasta (usually we would be exposed to this type of pasta at weddings or other restaurants in the states). This was anything but that. The pasta dish was incredibly flavorful and the clams were extremely tender (they were in a white/brothy sauce). The lasagna was piled high with layers of pasta, ricotta cheese, meatsauce and mozzarella cheese on top. All I can say about this dish is A-MAZING. We ended up sharing the two dishes because neither of us could decide which one we liked better! Service was excellent, everything was fresh yet we didn't feel like we were waiting hours on end for our food to come out (plus, they kept replenishing our bread and olive oil - without even being asked to). After our appetizer and entrees, we were both a little full for dessert, but decided to take one for the team and order the tiramisu and a cannoli. Both were fantastic. Not sure if the desserts are baked in house, but regardless, they were both really tasty. You could taste the combination of espresso and brandy in the tiramisu (but the brandy didn't overpower the overall flavor/texture of the cake). It was clear that mascarponse cheese was blended with just the right amount of sugar to give the tiramisu a smooth, velvety texture...same with the cannoli filling.

Overall, we had a phenomenal experience here and would definitely go back again. I try to tell all of my family and friends about this place because I feel like it would be horrible for someone to travel to Rome and not eat at La Pollarola.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank RQualtieri
London, United Kingdom
“One of the best”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2013

I have been to La Pollarola quite a few times and this is one of the places I always think of when food comes to mind while in Rome. The food is very good without being pretentious and it is conveniently located right in the centre away from the noise but still near the popular piazza Campo de' Fiori. Rocco was our waiter and he made absolutely sure we were looked after from the very first moment we walked in the door. Highly recommended.

Cornwall
“A warm welcome & excellent food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2013

The welcome and service was really good with a reasonably varied menu. The suggestions were helpful without being pushy and the food was both tasty and well presented The outside seating was was more than satisfactory considering its position and we considered the prices to be very reasonable. All in all a very good eating experience.