“Great location, quiet room, dirty bathrooms”

Orsa Maggiore for Women Only
Ranked #64 of 1,148 Specialty Lodging in Rome
Reviewed July 27, 2012

We stayed here a few nights in a private room. The place is well located near the Trastevere District with its lovely restaurants. The rooms faced onto the courtyard which has a decent restaurant (with cheaper meals for guests) and a bar if you don't feel like venturing out too far on your first night. We liked the place but found the bathrooms (shared) really unclean. The must only clean them once per day, and the shower was clogged with hair. The breakfast featured decent machine espresso (and was free) but was otherwise comprised of cornflakes, bread in a packet and yoghurt. Very simple.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank aussie_mid30s

Reviewed June 8, 2012

My sister and I have heard many, many horror stories about hostels in Rome so I am so glad we booked here. The rooms were really big and spacey (which is a real plus, when compared with the usual cramped hostel rooms stuffed with bunks). They even provide free breakfast and the staff is very kind. All the women who stayed here were really considerate and quiet, so we slept well. Location is great as well...between central rome and the Vatican in an awesome night life area with lovely restaurants and bars. The location really can't be beat!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 22, 2012

Somewhere between a hotel and a hostel Orsa Maggiore is a good place for women to stay. Rooms are basic but clean. Bathrooms are clean, but the shower stalls are really tiny. If you are a bigger gal, it may be difficult for you to get into the stall! During our stay, there was a fund raiser in the courtyard which lasted until around midnight. Loud music echoed off the walls making it difficult to sleep after a long day of travel. The staff were helpful but on two occasions gave us information which proved inaccurate. They do offer laundry service which was helpful; saved us a trip to the laundromat. Breakfast was basic, but it was free and filling. Internet access was helpful and computer was usually available.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 23, 2012

The ceilings are high. The tiles are terra cotta. The vibe is relaxed and happily feminine. The ladies working here are incredibly helpful and speak excellent English. The bathrooms are down the hall but are clean and there are many. I'd bring my mom here for a nice vaca.

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed March 13, 2012

I came to the hostel with four other girls and we stayed in the one eight-person room. The room was spacious and cool, with a locker and night stand for every bed. It probably helps that we came before everyone else got there for Spring Break, but I would come back if I ever needed a place to stay on my own. The continental breakfast is nothing to get excited about, and wifi could only be accessed in the "computer corner," but those are just about my only complaints. I felt safe and clean in Orsa Maggiore!

Room Tip: The eight-person room is cheapest, but you get your own bathroom in the four-person rooms. I guess i...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 6, 2012

I actually stayed at Orsa Maggiore a year ago but never got around to writing the review. It's plagued me ever since as this place needs to be talked about to the audience of travelers of my demographic. I was a solo traveling female, 49 years old, who had never stayed at a hostel before. I stayed in the larger ten bed room for about five nights, never paying more than $25 per night. A bargain like no other.
Pro's:
Cost - as stated above
Location - in the funky-in-a-good-way Trastevere neighborhood, just across the river Tiber. You truly feel like you are in a little Italian town, not in the middle of Rome. People watching in Piazza Santa Maria with its beautiful church, many restaurants and a few slightly pubbish bars, the Porta Portese flea market on Sunday and extremely safe walking day and night.
Free internet - Two computers in the central "lobby" area, the ability to pick up Wi-Fi on nearby couches (but not in the rooms).
Free breakfast - Nothing fancy but not a thing wrong with it. Cereal, yogurt, ham, fruit, toast, pastries (or croissants, can't remember), juice, tea and apparently the best coffee around (I don’t drink it).
Lockable storage closet - Ample room for a carry on sized bag with one or two drawers underneath. There's a clothes rod but it was REALLY up high. Key provided.
Comfortable room - Clean, fairly comfortable twin bed. (I had brought a sleeping bag liner to use but didn't feel at all like I needed it). This is a 16th century ex-convent which is pretty neat to think about. Yes, it's old, but what isn't in Rome? The super high ceilings (stand on the bed to look out the window) made the spacious room seem even more so. Small nightstand with lamp.
People - The few staff that I had the occasion to talk to were very helpful (bonus - English spoken). The other residents were friendly. Lots of fun talking at breakfast with everyone about what they’d seen or were headed to.
Other "perks" - Small library of books, beautiful inner courtyard to sit and reflect, use of fridge and microwave.
Con’s:
The need to always be quiet – It seems that there was always somebody sleeping, day or night, in the dorm room so I felt like I always needed to be quiet while in there. This also made it difficult sometimes to find what I needed within my belongings in the dark. BRING A FLASHLIGHT. But if you’re a napper, maybe this is good for you. The common rooms, however, were generally lively.
Small osteria (called the Bio Bar) on site but it seems they were always closed when I wanted to go.
Public transport – Not terribly close. There is a bus stop across the Ponte Mazzini Bridge to the north (just a few blocks). You can catch the tram at the Belli stop by walking several pleasant blocks in the other direction through Trastevere. This tram will take you to the Argentina stop which will get you all over. Either route can be a little difficult with a roller bag on the cobblestones. Unless you’re young, save yourself the trouble and take a taxi for your initial drop off.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank vicdriver
Reviewed March 5, 2012

dont ever miss curfew... they wouldn't let me in and I was an hour or so late because I had to walk back (at night!) got lost...
They said to come back at 6am (an hour earlier than their reg opening time) So luckily I was with a few other travellers that i had met and I stayed in the lobby down the street until 6am. It was an aweful experience. The lady who let me in early gave me a dirty look and told me that what I did was not fare to the other ladies in the hostel. the next morning I got in trouble from the head owner, she understood my dilemma and was very nice about the situation.
Other than that, everything is really clean, staff (other than that one was nice)
They helped me find a cool sunday market downtown, I recommend going - they will know what you mean if you mention this. They helped me understand the buses etc VERY ehlpful and willing to go that extra mile for you.
There is a nice restaurant and store near by about a 5 minute walk. The internet is kinda slow there but it is free and was rarely used by anyone. No men upstairs, not even to help with your luggage, friend or not. That was fine though. Safe area, cozy. Beds were small but ok. Fridge/eating area with tv available. I would go back if I was travelling alone again.

Room Tip: The four bed stay is comfortable, own locker. Shared bathroom is ok.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo