“Pleasantly surprised!”

Ranked #74 of 1,100 Specialty Lodging in Rome
Alcala De Henares, Spain
“Pleasantly surprised!”
Reviewed March 13, 2012

I came to the hostel with four other girls and we stayed in the one eight-person room. The room was spacious and cool, with a locker and night stand for every bed. It probably helps that we came before everyone else got there for Spring Break, but I would come back if I ever needed a place to stay on my own. The continental breakfast is nothing to get excited about, and wifi could only be accessed in the "computer corner," but those are just about my only complaints. I felt safe and clean in Orsa Maggiore!

Room Tip: The eight-person room is cheapest, but you get your own bathroom in the four-person rooms. I guess i...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed March 6, 2012

I actually stayed at Orsa Maggiore a year ago but never got around to writing the review. It's plagued me ever since as this place needs to be talked about to the audience of travelers of my demographic. I was a solo traveling female, 49 years old, who had never stayed at a hostel before. I stayed in the larger ten bed room for about five nights, never paying more than $25 per night. A bargain like no other.
Pro's:
Cost - as stated above
Location - in the funky-in-a-good-way Trastevere neighborhood, just across the river Tiber. You truly feel like you are in a little Italian town, not in the middle of Rome. People watching in Piazza Santa Maria with its beautiful church, many restaurants and a few slightly pubbish bars, the Porta Portese flea market on Sunday and extremely safe walking day and night.
Free internet - Two computers in the central "lobby" area, the ability to pick up Wi-Fi on nearby couches (but not in the rooms).
Free breakfast - Nothing fancy but not a thing wrong with it. Cereal, yogurt, ham, fruit, toast, pastries (or croissants, can't remember), juice, tea and apparently the best coffee around (I don’t drink it).
Lockable storage closet - Ample room for a carry on sized bag with one or two drawers underneath. There's a clothes rod but it was REALLY up high. Key provided.
Comfortable room - Clean, fairly comfortable twin bed. (I had brought a sleeping bag liner to use but didn't feel at all like I needed it). This is a 16th century ex-convent which is pretty neat to think about. Yes, it's old, but what isn't in Rome? The super high ceilings (stand on the bed to look out the window) made the spacious room seem even more so. Small nightstand with lamp.
People - The few staff that I had the occasion to talk to were very helpful (bonus - English spoken). The other residents were friendly. Lots of fun talking at breakfast with everyone about what they’d seen or were headed to.
Other "perks" - Small library of books, beautiful inner courtyard to sit and reflect, use of fridge and microwave.
Con’s:
The need to always be quiet – It seems that there was always somebody sleeping, day or night, in the dorm room so I felt like I always needed to be quiet while in there. This also made it difficult sometimes to find what I needed within my belongings in the dark. BRING A FLASHLIGHT. But if you’re a napper, maybe this is good for you. The common rooms, however, were generally lively.
Small osteria (called the Bio Bar) on site but it seems they were always closed when I wanted to go.
Public transport – Not terribly close. There is a bus stop across the Ponte Mazzini Bridge to the north (just a few blocks). You can catch the tram at the Belli stop by walking several pleasant blocks in the other direction through Trastevere. This tram will take you to the Argentina stop which will get you all over. Either route can be a little difficult with a roller bag on the cobblestones. Unless you’re young, save yourself the trouble and take a taxi for your initial drop off.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank vicdriver
Sudbury ON
Reviewed March 5, 2012

dont ever miss curfew... they wouldn't let me in and I was an hour or so late because I had to walk back (at night!) got lost...
They said to come back at 6am (an hour earlier than their reg opening time) So luckily I was with a few other travellers that i had met and I stayed in the lobby down the street until 6am. It was an aweful experience. The lady who let me in early gave me a dirty look and told me that what I did was not fare to the other ladies in the hostel. the next morning I got in trouble from the head owner, she understood my dilemma and was very nice about the situation.
Other than that, everything is really clean, staff (other than that one was nice)
They helped me find a cool sunday market downtown, I recommend going - they will know what you mean if you mention this. They helped me understand the buses etc VERY ehlpful and willing to go that extra mile for you.
There is a nice restaurant and store near by about a 5 minute walk. The internet is kinda slow there but it is free and was rarely used by anyone. No men upstairs, not even to help with your luggage, friend or not. That was fine though. Safe area, cozy. Beds were small but ok. Fridge/eating area with tv available. I would go back if I was travelling alone again.

Room Tip: The four bed stay is comfortable, own locker. Shared bathroom is ok.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank jessomc
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed November 22, 2011

This was my first hostel expereince in 10 years (I was traveling as a solo 30 year old) and it was a positive one. I was in a room with 3 others. It is clean, the women working are very helpful, and it is well run. There is a very basic breakfast with great expresso. There are free maps of the city and they will help you find buses to any attraction. The hostel even sells bus tickets. The water is hot but bring warm clothes in the winter, the hostel can get cold. It felt really safe and I think the 3am curfew is reasonable. They speak English. There is a mix of women travels of all ages in the setting of an international house for women with a courtyard, bar, and restaurant downstairs. It is also well located just a 5 min walk to the heart of the bars and restaurants in Trastevere. The hostel itself is in a quiet area. Easy to catch buses or walk to the Vatican. Not super close to a metro station but I found the bus took me easily to anywhere I needed to go. They give you a wardrob with a key in your room to secure your stuff. Easy to break into but the atmosphere is not in which I would worry about locking my passport in there. There is free wifi in the breakfast area and lobby. There are also 2 computers with fast internet. I would highly recommend.

Room Tip: The rooms with less people tend to be older, ie room of 4 had ages from 25-50 and the larger rooms h...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank TJRTravel
Glasgow
Reviewed October 5, 2011

The Orsa Maggiore has been a fantastic experience. The place is so friendly, all the ladies are very relaxed and open, it must be the atmosphere of the place.
The hostel (actually that is almost an understatement), boutique hostel, would be more fitting, is located just a bit out of the heart of Trastevere, the hip quarter with lots of fantastic bars and restaurant.It is an old villa building with courtyard, one night there even was a jazz band playing in the courtyard. The hostel is women only. It is located in a quiet (as quiet as Rome gets, with scooters) side street and only a ten minute stroll away from the heart of Trastevere. The area feels very safe.
You are within walking distance of the main sights, a long walk though, Collosseum is about 30minutes, same for Spanish steps, etc. the Vatican is about 15minutes walk away, this is also where the nearest metro is. there is no metro or train nearby, I found the nearest train station to be San Pietro or Trastevere, ca 8Euro taxi ride away.
A fantastic start to the day was the Lavazza (!) espresso machines with milk steamer, so you could make your own cappucino in the morning! The rooms are enourmously spacious and have personal lockers (not very secure, but lockable none the less).
The staff has been very helpful in finding the way, explaining how to get to sights and so on.
I thouroughly enjoyed my stay here and will definitely recommend this place to (female) friends.
Oh and, if you would not normally consider a hostel, cause you think only young travellers stay there, the orsa maggiore was a real mix of women of all walks of life and all ages

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Christlkind
United States
Reviewed September 10, 2011

I stayed 4 nights in this hostel/hotel and I loved it. The staff was incredibly nice and helpful. Gave restaurant recommendations, SOOOO helpful with the transportation information, were friendly and just the best staff. The women who make your bed every day and clean the bathroom are so nice too. The breakfast was not amazing, but certainly fine for a budget traveller. The coffee machines are AWESOME and make the best cup of crema cafe ever. When I was there, women of all ages were there - from 20 to 60+. The younger girls stayed usually in the big shared room with 4-5 beds and less money. I upgraded to a nicer room so my roommates were more my age/shared interests (25-35 years old). I would stay here again anytime!

Room Tip: TIP: there is a bathroom near the entrance that is a lot cleaner and more private than the shower ro...
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank cookiecat123
Bend, Oregon
Reviewed June 25, 2011

I love Orsa Maggiore. Of course, I would rather stay in a 5 star hotel! But this hostel is the best accomodation for the price in Rome. Very safe, clean and roomy. Nice courtyard with 2 a bar and a restaurant.

Room Tip: Ask for room 201. Quieter location
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled solo