“Second Review of Brunch: Quality went down”

Said Dal 1923 Antica Fabbrica Del Cioccolato Roma
Ranked #2,105 of 12,594 Restaurants in Rome
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: San Lorenzo
Description: SAID dal 1923 ( ex Societa Azionaria Industria Dolciumi ) is still an artisanal chocolate factory producing and based and the same establishment from 93 years. today is 360° chocolate concept store. production, shop, cioccolateria and restaurant with italian traditional kitchen and some chocolate recipes. you can buy chocolate or choose to sit down and enjoy it with grappa or rum sitter in charming industrial space, definite from a lot of people the roman chocolate museum. cakes, hot chocolate, wine, and kitchenn in a chocolate interpretation and abbination.
Reviewed October 13, 2013

I reviewed S.A.I.D. earlier in 2013 after I had gone here for brunch the first time with a large group of friends. At the time we had all had been blown away both by the quality of the food and the amount of choice.

We came back again now, in October 2013, and were disappointed. The prices had not changed; it's still 25 Euros for the brunch which includes food and juice, coffee, tea and water. However, there are some changes: it's no longer self-service. Which is OK- staff is nice and efficient, and the plates are huge as ever and you are allowed to try as many things as you want. But when we came last time there had been more choice - lots of cold cuts, salads, fresh fruit, rice salads, couscous, and so on. There was less choice now. The table is half the size.

Crucially, however, the dessert table changed. This is a chocolate factory, and the highlight of our last visit was the dessert. You were allowed three desserts, including lots and lots of petit four to choose from, lots of cakes/pies (raspberry, apple, pear, berries, peach) to choose from, muffins (blueberry, chocolate, white chocolate, plain) and cookies and also - this was particularly amazing! - solid chocolate cups (white, milk or dark) which were filled, right in front of you, with hot liquid chocolate (again, choice of white, milk or dark). We were looking forward to the chocolate cups and the sumptuous desserts so much!

Now the dessert table has jam, bread, corn flakes and two kinds of cake- one chocolate and one apple. That's it. This is disappointing.

Whereas before this brunch had been unusual and very beautiful and, while pricey, worth the 25 Euros per person, now it feels overpriced. Just like any other. We were all very, very disappointed and won't be paying the 25 Euros per person again here, it's not worth it.

2  Thank BetteSpark
There are newer reviews for Said Dal 1923 Antica Fabbrica Del Cioccolato Roma

Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

It was a bit of trek to get here and the area around it seemed sparse, however so glad we went. The interior is so elegant and enticing, one of the nicest place we visited in Rome. The service was brilliant, our waiter was so patient and friendly, he happily explained every dish to us. To start we had mojitos and an antipasto selection (this comes with the cocktails for 12 euro's). This was really tasty, quite small but that's what you need because then its onto desert. There's a huge counter filled with delicious cakes, some big, some cute mini versions. My boyfriend had a chocolate, pear and walnut cake and I had six mini deserts. They have melted white, milk and dark chocolate that they dribble on top. It was to die for! There's also a chocolate shop and restaurant, but we just hung out in the bar. Shame there's nothing like this in the UK.

1  Thank lubylou22
Reviewed August 30, 2013

I really enjoyed my visit here with a work colleague. Unfortunately he put the wrong address into the sat nav and we had to phone to postpone our reservation. However when we eventually arrived they were more than accommodating and offered us a free glass of wine to recover from our travelling ordeal. These little hints of service continued all evening.
We then had a delicious started, a joint antipasti and a main. When it came to desert - where do you start?? So much choice, surrounded by chocolate. I opted for whatever they suggested and i don't think it would have mattered as both our deserts were as good as the rest.
A very pleasant dining experience, with friendly good service. I would go back.
Why no 5 star? Only because i feel it is slightly overpriced, but you are in Rome so what do you expect. You couldn't go out here for a family meal as it would cost you but I would recommend a visit for one night for a delightful meal, chocotatstic experiences and to walk through the chocolate factory area at the front and also to see the massive wonderful desert and chocolate tables. they also have a chocolate shop too - say no more!

2  Thank Captain_hooha
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Very interesting and decorative place. Good food at prices at the higher end, many specialties with a touch of chocolate, I had chocolate ravioli which is ok to try, but I would go for the normal stuff next time. (it's in the building of a chocalate factory). But nice to try and than it is up to anybody to like it or not. Desserts are good.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

I read a review of the Sunday brunch at S.A.I.D. in "La Puntarella Rossa" and decided to try it out. We were a group of 5 friends in our 20s-40s, all Rome residents. We came to the opening of the brunch at 12:30pm. The cost of the brunch is a fixed 25 Euros for which you are allowed to go to the buffet once (the plate you fill up is, actually, a giant tray so there is absolutely no way you will ever leave this place hungry or want to go to the buffet twice), then have either a piece of cake or 4 little desserts, all the American coffee and tea that you want, unlimited juice, and water. Anything else (special coffees, hot chocolates, wine, etc) is extra. We did not order anything off the menu and just had the basic brunch.

The savoury buffet spread was impressive: certainly Italian (so, no pancakes and crispy bacon) with treats like artichokes, zucchini, aubergines, grilled peppers, grilled pumpkin, black rice, seafood risotto, little Indian-style samosas, gnocchi, turkey, roast beef, meat carpaccio, soft bacon and scrambled eggs, asparagus, chicory, stuffed tomatoes, stuffed mushrooms, carrot soup, bread, baked potatoes, puntarella salad, Greek Salad, olives, mixed greens, and probably more things I am forgetting. This is a self-service buffet.

After you are finished with this you go up to the sweet buffet where a girl serves you either one piece of cake (there are many to choose from) or a selection of 4 mini-dolcini. Personally I asked for a dark chocolate mini-brownie, a mini-fruit crumble (with cherries and kiwi), a mini-muffin and their speciality: a little cup made out of chocolate (dark or white) which they fill with hot liquid chocolate for you (white, milk or dark). They have a selection of 4 different teas, and coffee and milk.

The service was impeccable: everyone very friendly, polite and pleasant. They all spoke a little English, which is helpful if you are a tourist and do not speak Italian. The space is quite big so, although it fills up quite a bit, it is not too loud or crowded. The decor is just lovely, and each room is filled with fresh flowers. I enjoyed my Sunday brunch very, very much - as did all my friends - and we are certainly coming back!

Note: be sure to book a table for brunch, it is very busy!