“Typical yet genuine roman trattoria”
Review of Da Oio a Casa Mia

Da Oio a Casa Mia
Ranked #2,377 of 13,327 Restaurants in Rome
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Testaccio
Reviewed October 17, 2012

The food was very good but, you might be a little put of by the service. This is a typical roman trattoria so, don't expect tourist pampering, this is a meat and potatoes down to business restaurant. If you can cope with that (the locals and habituals do, some tourists may mistake it for rudeness) then it's worth checking it out.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,047)

Reviewed September 29, 2012

If you are a masochist this is the place for you....I found the service so rude, so bad even angry that I left almost right away. Staff was angry that I and my friends even showed up at their establishment...for NO reason at all I might add. My girl friend and I were nice and respectful and yet the staff acted with real anger and lack of civility....unless this was really unique I would say avoid this place unless you like being treated like garbage.,

2  Thank ramram77
Reviewed July 21, 2012

We have just returned from this restaurant and I felt obliged to write a review. We arrived at the restaurant just before 9pm this evening. We were given menus straight away then immediately shown two bottles of water and asked (in Italian) if we wanted still or sparkling. We said sparkling and could we have a carafe of white wine. These were brought to us within a few minutes but no water glasses appeared. It took three requests before we got the water glasses. We had already ordered our meal. We were given a basket of bread (for which we were charged 2 euros even though we didn't ask for bread!!).
We waited and waited for our meal to arrive ( we both ordered rigatoni-nothing special!). Eventually a wait came and indicated the male would be with us in two minutes. 25 minutes later our meal arrived ( after an Italian couple at the next table complained on our behalf). By then we had almost finished the wine and the water. When the waiter brought the meal I mentioned it had taken an hour. He shrugged his shoulders and said 'well it takes time as its fresh pasta'. Strangley there were people who had sat down 40 minutes after us and were already eating before we got our meal. Just before we left a table of 6 Italians had received their pasta dish 10 minutes after ordering. We had to wait an hour for our pasta to arrive!!
The waiter offered us a free second course but we refused that as we weren't hungry after a pasta dish.
We received no apology at all - in fact nobody seemed to care at all.

1  Thank Angela5601
Reviewed March 24, 2012

Tables constantly packed with groups of Italian friends and families, Forza Roma football memorabilia all over the walls, the best carciofi Romana (Roman style artichokes) and cacio e pepe in Rome. Bursting with a chaotic liveliness, Da Oio is the place to go if you want to experience authentic and unpretentious Roman style dining. I have been going to Da Oio regularly over the last few years with my family and friends, and it never disappoints.

However, understand what this place is before you go. Do not come here for peace and quiet. Do not come here for a romantic evening. Do not come here for a formal night out with business partners. Do not come here if multiple menu items containing animal organs weirds you out. (Personally, I am a vegetarian)

Overall, Da Oio is the anti tourist trap. It is the archetypal informal Roman Family Trattoria. Come here for good hearty food, and its authentic informal atmosphere. Though that, understandably, isn't always what everyone is looking for.

Reviewed February 27, 2012

The food was cold, the polpetti was a mechanically recovered meat patty served cold. The chicken was the cheapest cuts with more bone than meat, the Cree caramel was curdled. Like I said, worst meal ever. And it was expensive.

1  Thank FlyBWire