“Very nice, relaxed lunch”
Review of L'Archeologia

L'Archeologia
Reserve with
Save up to 30% when you reserve online *
L'Archeologia is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #530 of 12,684 Restaurants in Rome
Cuisines: European, Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed June 14, 2014

We had a great lunch here. We came a bit early on a Sunday and could enjoy all the Italian families arrive for the big Sunday lunch whilst we as tourists were enjoying a nice meal and nice glass of wine. Very nice place with good service and well organised kitchen.

Reviewed June 13, 2014

Suggested by our driver, L'Archelogia was an oasis in the middle of the day. A beautiful setting that is not apparent from the outside. The food was excellent, wine (Brunello) great, and service superb. Ask to enjoy wine and cheese in their wine cellar before your meal. Not to be missed.

1  Thank Skiprob
Reviewed June 12, 2014

After carefully researching restaurants before a recent trip to Rome, we planned a day around having Sunday lunch at L'Archeologia. We hoped to walk the Via Appia afterwards with a stop at one of the catacombs. We had a difficult time making the reservation (2 weeks in advance), but had explained that we were celebrating our daughter's 19th birthday (the day before) and my husband's and my 25th wedding anniversary (the following day). We were told they could only take us at 2:00 p.m., so we arrived promptly. We gave the name for the reservation and were then walked through the beautiful garden area, only to be seated at the last remaining table which was adjacent to the outdoor compost pile/garbage...quite aromatic. Since that was the only table left, we had no other option. Our waiter, although courteous, was literally running from table to table because he was so busy. We were the only Americans in the restaurant, which usually is a positive for us, but in this case it was not. It took a very long time for us to place our order and receive our food. The food was very good, but the 2 1/2 hours it took for us to have our meal was frustrating. We love leisurely Italian dinners (especially on Sunday), but again, this was not the case. We watched as a dessert and candles were brought to a nearby table for a special occasion they were celebrating, hoping that might salvage things somewhat for us, but nothing was brought to our table and there was no mention about our daughter's birthday or our anniversary (even though I specifically mentioned both when the reservation was made). We left feeling that that they had done us a favor by squeezing us in, rather than being welcomed at a restaurant to celebrate 2 special occasions. By the time we were finally able to pay the bill (not inexpensive), the catacombs had already closed for the day, so the experience left us quite disappointed. I give this an "average" because the setting was lovely and the food was good, but those did not match the service, which left a lot to be desired.

1  Thank AMDG L
Reviewed June 8, 2014

I cant say enough good things about this restaurant, we have had many business lunches and
dinners at the Archeologia,the food and choice are fantastic,the wine list is never ending,the
staff and maitre and very professional and meticulous, i will be there tomorrow night with my
guests,cant wait for another fantastic evening. John

Reviewed May 20, 2014

I try to choose restaurants carefully and normally I get it about right. This time I'm afraid I got it wrong. The restaurant is very nice with the tables beautifully set and laid out. What I think this restaurant really caters for is coach parties of which there was one when we visited. I had tried to book for Sunday lunch but was told the restaurant was fully booked and this was a month before. I therefore booked for the evening and the said coach party was finishing their meals and left not long after we got there. As I have said in a previous review about Italy and charging for bread and veg L'Archeologia takes it a bit far. For a starter we didn't ask for bread but it was there on the table when we sat down. Ten euros and we both had only a small piece each. Our starters were not of good flavour, me crostini and my wife a mixed platter of meat and cheese. I had fillet steak with pepper sauce which was fine but my wife had veal in lemon sauce which was very sharp and the meat was undercooked. We shared some grilled veg which ,although we asked for one portion we got and were charged for two. It was not a lack of understanding as the waiters spoke English. The only saving grace was the wine which was excellent. No desserts, only coffee. I noticed the table adjacent to us were served some nice looking bites to have with their coffees but when we had almost finished ours one of the waiters came with a plate of almost stale cakes. To me it was not something which said, thanks for your custom, hope to see you again. Just there you go pal, like it or lump it. I tell you if one of those cakes had hit you lumps it would be. And we were charged 142 euros for the pleasure. Or not.

3  Thank tommckearney

Been to L'Archeologia? Share your experiences!