“Lovely meal”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Trastevere
Description: Glass Hostaria restaurant in Rome’s Trastevere quarter is an eye-full for lovers of superhot modern design. Set in one of Rome’s oldest, most atmospheric neighbourhoods, Glass Hostaria’s fabulous high-concept dining space with its soaring ceilings, open staircase, part-glass floor, sleek seating and stunning gold-filled niches contrasted with raw brick pillars and original beamed ceiling has won accolades and international attention. The Italian menu under the direction of Cristina Bowerman is an inventive balance of then and now, with dishes like starter of foie gras with caramelized bananas (yes, that’s right) and brioche, first course of risotto with oysters, crème fraîche and crunchy artichokes, second course of pork filet with quinoa, smoked tomatoes and orange sauce, and dessert of chocolate cake with rosemary ice cream. The tasting menus are good value and the wine list has over six hundred labels on offer. Hire of this venue would make a superb site for stylish launches or sophisticated parties. The service is excellent and, after dinner, Glass Hostaria turns into a wine bar, so you can linger on and on.
Reviewed February 11, 2013

I may not be able to fairly rate this restaurant, as I visited when slightly jet lagged, and not hungry enough to try the tasting menu. My husband and I had pasta to start. I had the Parmesan ravioli, which was rich, but delicious, and my husband had gnocchi which he described as very good. Apart from an amuse bouche, we were also given a sample of the beef tartare , which was a generous surprise. For main course, my husband choose the deer, which was a standout- tender, juicy and delicious. I had lamb, which was a little tough, and not particularly impressive. We did not have dessert. The wine recommended by the sommelier was superb, and reasonably priced.
The decor, while famous for it's modernity, I found a little cold. The service from staff was very good, but not out standing.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,221)

Reviewed February 7, 2013

Went to Glass last night with a friend. The maitre d' gave us a warm welcome as we came in, which set a nice tone for the evening. The sommelier recommended a couple wines that were excellent, and paired perfectly with our food choices. Our waitress was just attentive enough, and explained and served each course with a beautiful smile. The food...it's hard to describe just how good it was. Definitely one of the best meals I've had in a long time. I look forward to coming back here.

1  Thank Christian T
Reviewed January 11, 2013 via mobile

You must remember that this is a fine dining restaurant. Service was ok (some service lacking such as topping up drinks etc), price expensive, wine list extensive and decor was lovely. Now to the hard part to review - the food - chef was trying very hard to be creative and innovative and suceeded but appeared to lose taste in doing so. We had the 5 course tasting menu with the stand out dish the parmesan ravioli, the other dishes were ok but not quite there to the taste and combinations we expected, its hard to describe but the food just wasn't delicious. Deserts were a let down with originality prioritised far ahead of taste. We left feeling confused and unsatisfied, wishing we had 5 courses of parmesan ravioli. Also had issues with credit card machine, not sure whose fault.

1  Thank Mandajw
Reviewed January 10, 2013

We had a wonderful meal, wonderful service, and the restaurant provides a romantic atmosphere. The chef came to our table to greet us and help "walk" us through the menu. The sommelier was also fantastic. I highly recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed January 6, 2013

Concur with other assessments about the strong selection of fairly-priced wines. 70 euro tasting menu featured several varieties of meat, some garnished with seafood roe. 90 euro tasting menu was seafood, with a couple items garnished with roe. And the 90 euro menu dessert was yogurt semifreddo with verbena oil and sprouts. At that price level, there should less creative and more indulgent - I can make yogurt semifreddo in ten minutes at home... Chef tends to use combinations that are sweet/sweet - lobster with minted yogurt, shrimp with yams, wild salmon with peaches. I would have preferred more contrast in the seasoning and more seasonal vegetables. Since both of the tasting menus contained several items I found unappealing, I opted for chestnut tagliatelle with pumpkin and sausage. It was fine, but the precious portion of four forkfuls of pasta priced at 23 euros was ridiculous. Left hungry and went out for gelato afterwards...

1  Thank TwixtTwain