“Wonderful experience! Wonderful food!”

Hostaria Antica Roma
Ranked #2,662 of 12,760 Restaurants in Rome
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: One of the most unusual place to eat in the world...a mausoleum of 2000 years ago...
Reviewed November 6, 2012

The best experience we had in our trip around Rome! Wonderful food, very cosy place, excellent service! Thanks Paolo and Family for this experience!

Reviewed November 4, 2012

What's left to say that hasn't been said on TripAdvisor yet? The atmosphere is amazing, the food was divine, and Paolo was hilarious. This meal included the best Caprese salad, cheese, and Tiramisu I have ever had. The only thing that was disappointing about this meal was that it was our first, and therefore set the bar so high that no other meal could exceed it.

If you are in the area you owe it to yourself to try this out.

Reviewed November 4, 2012

I will try to use words to describe what only a visit to Hostaria Antica can make you experience. I traveled to Italy for 15 days with my boyfriend and Hostaria Antica was by far the best dining experience we had. We stopped here after exploring the Appian Way and it was our first meal in Italy. We went on a Sunday and we did not find out until later that the restaurant is usually not open on Sunday evenings during this season except for special occasions, but the owner, Paolo, let us inside anyway. He also allowed us to come inside even though we were more than 30 minutes before the restaurant opened and even brought us wine!

The setting is beautiful, located in an ancient colombario, dining next to walls with niches that once held urns of Romans. Paolo explained the history of his restaurant as well as some history of Rome and even gave us a handout explaining the history of the location. Paolo was very personable, attentive, funny and you can tell he loves doing what he does.

On to the food: amazing. We started with an antipasto with delicious meats. Then Paolo brought out an ancient recipe of local cheese. I cannot remember the name of it but it was excellent. There was a large party coming later in the evening and the staff brought over a sampling of the appetizers that would be served to the party, such as stuffed mushrooms and grilled vegetables, again, delicious. For my main course I had the rigatoni all'Amatriciana which was pasta with a sauce of bacon, tomato, chili pepper and cheese and my boyfriend had the white lasagna, which was an ancient recipe. He said it was the best pasta he had ever had and my pasta was excellent. Following the pasta course came the best caprese with the freshest, tastiest tomatoes and mozzarella we've ever tasted.

Next was dessert. We were very easily persuaded into having the homemade tiramisu. We were very glad we did because it again was the best tiramisu we've ever had. We did not feel rushed at this restaurant, the atmosphere was comfortable and quaint and Paolo was a great host. I am so glad we looked this place up prior to going to Rome because I cannot praise Hostaria Antica, Paolo and the staff enough. Paolo even called us a cab since it was dark by the time we finished our meal. This will definitely be a place we visit again if we return to Rome and I highly recommend this place if you want an amazing meal in a great location in Rome for a great value.

Reviewed October 30, 2012

The Hostaria, located along the Via Appia, is located in an ancient cemetery; the niches where ashes were kept in the stone walls surround the patio where we ate, although the ashes are long gone. We had lunch there on a Sunday and the place was full of Italian families and only a few tourist.

The food and service were excellent. Out server, who lived in the U.S., delighted with stories about the food and the restaurant. I had antipasti--a plate filled from two tables of typical Roman antipasti. That was followed with an incredible stuffed rabbit, while my wife had an Italian crepe and a beautiful insalata mista. We were also brought a sampling of the white lasagna, which is a specialty of the house.

The Hostaria is worth a visit whether you are visiting the sights along Via Appia or just want a good meal in the "country-side."

Reviewed October 7, 2012

Well, well, well!!! What can I say! Myself and my husband celebrated our wedding day at this OUTSTANDING restaurant!! The food, the hospitality and the wine was second to none and Paolo and his staff pulled out all the stops to make it a fairytale venue with their beautiful table decorations with stunning fresh flowers and candles!! It was the best dining experience of our lives and we can only extend our upmost and sincere gratitude to Paolo and all the staff for making our wedding celebrations so unique and memorable!! THANKYOU to you and all your staff Paolo and may your stunning restaurant continue to prosper and serve the public in such a magical magnificent way!!!