“Poor service and cold”

Il Grottino
Ranked #760 of 12,764 Restaurants in Rome
Cuisines: Pizza
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Neighborhood: Testaccio
Reviewed February 9, 2013

Supervisor wanted to put me by tiolets when plenty of other tables.
We refused.
Waiters general sttitude was that he was doing customers a favour by servivg them.
Place was cold and sat in coats.
Food was passable if bit bland.
Give this place a wide berth
Paul

Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

We arrived in Rome late on a Saturday night and this place was suggested by our driver as it was close to our apartment. Food was really good, service nice but a little slow and the atmosphere was cozy. All great for that visit. Went back a few nights later and had a different waiter and was treated not so nice. While still eating dinner this waiter came to our table and took all of our plates and silverware. I had a mouthful of pizza and a partial slice in my hand. He then proceeded to slap the bill on the table and kept coming back every 5 seconds wanting payment..mind you, I was still eating. Here for another 4 days, but I do not think we will be going back there again.

Reviewed May 7, 2012

I started to visit this pizzeria when I used to live in Rome, almost 40 years ago. I returned there recently and giving everything changes after such a time-frame, still it retains the same quality and athmosfere of when I was younger. They are making the real Roman's pizza the way it should be. My family loves this place and always want to return there every time we stay in Rome. Don't miss to visit the cellars downstairs, decorated with real roman's "cocci", romans anphoras coming from the closer "Monte Testaccio".

Reviewed February 3, 2012

Pizzas are fine and delicious. Surprisingly they are not serving red wine de la casa. They have only bottle of red wine. Their price start from 12 euro. We were three and paid 31.5 euro total. Two pizza, water, filetti di baccala, 2 supli and two more things that I do not remember now..

Reviewed June 14, 2011

Il Grottino, for the benefit of English language readers the clue is in the name. Myself and a friend went there in early June 2011. We were put at a table for two on the outside of the pavement, on the inner side there was another table, so close it was in effect a table for four. The tables were packed so close together there was no room to pass between them, so when people left and arrived from the inside table we had to move. The tables are on the pavement in close proximity to a busy road. Service was brisk though not particularly friendly, and we felt pressured to leave as soon as we had finished. In the circumstances not an issue. Food was passable, though not up to the standards I would normally expect in Rome. We both had pasta and I notice the Italian commentary is complimentary about the pizza, which neither of can comment upon. This is not a place to which either of us would return.

Been to Il Grottino? Share your experiences!