“Great interpretation of italian food”
Review of Retro - CLOSED

Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed July 13, 2014

A great experience there the fantasy of the chef was impressive, Italian dishes with a skillful interpretation. The wine list basic, the service very professional and gently.

Reviewed July 12, 2014

I stayed at the H10 Roma Citta which is around the corner in part because the Trastevere neighbourhood was said to have good restaurants. I didnt want to get stuck with the usual tosh tourists get served up - romantically perhaps, I saw myself in a restaurant filled with locals! and this is what Retro is.

Its in a side street off Viale Marconi - there were little Citronella candles outside and trailing plants all along the ramp as you walk into this basement restaurant. There is an awning covered terrace where most people sit but the inside is like an old fashioned canteen from the 1950's - cream, blue and brown decor immaculate and clearly much loved by those who run it. We were greeted by a guy on our first night in Chefs whites - I think he might be one of the owners. The staff dont speak the best English but were helpful all the same

So - what did we eat?

First Visit

Starters - Bruschetta for two (c. €4/5)
Grilled Chicken breast with chargrilled vegetables (c. €14) / Roast Beef thinly sliced on a bed of rocket - side order of rosemary potatoes
Glass of wine each ( I think it was €6)

Second Visit (last night before we went home so really pushed the boat out!!)

Starters - Pecorino Cheese with Walnuts, honey and truffle oil (amazing)/ deep fried Cod pieces
Mains - Lemon Ricotta Ravioli in butter off the specials menu / I think my other half had pasta with beef ragu.
Puds - Trash Shortcake (shortcake flan) with cream custard and fresh strawberries / Apple cake
Wine - bottle of Montepuliciano (€16)

Well worth a visit - no need for reservations - the place is enormous and I doubt willl ever run out of tables.!

Reviewed July 5, 2014 via mobile

We came here on our first night in Rome whilst stsying at the h10 hotel. I had mussels and clams for starter and Swordfish for main, they were both gorgeous! Would definitely recommend to anyone having a holiday in Rome!

Reviewed June 25, 2014

Ate here twice during our stay at H10 Roma Citta and would definitely recommend it! Pizza was good as was the lobster pasta and prosecco. House wine was really nice and cheap!

Reviewed June 12, 2014 via mobile

Granted this is the only restaurant we've eaten in whilst in Rome, but never have I been greeted so nicely and treated so well.
There was no push to order, they spoke whichever language we spoke and had prepared menus for at least 2 languages.
Me and my wife had the retro focacchia for starters, this was a large 10" pizza, which we did not expect for ?4.
Our mains were the ravioli special (?10) and the gnocchi special (?11), which were both great, but the gnocchi took it to the next level and I've never had anything so divine.
Each had a glass of house red (?7)(still better than any wine from a UK cornershop) and shared a carafe of water (reverse osmosis filtered no less, ?2).
So for a total of ?34 I was mightily impressed, and will most likely be returning tomorrow night too!