“When in Rome ... eat Italian” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sciam

Sciam
Reserve with
Save up to 20% when you reserve online *
Sciam is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5,306 of 12,045 Restaurants in Rome
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Navona / Pantheon / Campo de’ Fiori
Rome, Italy
“When in Rome ... eat Italian”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

Well if you're in the mood for a "shisha" .. this is the place to be. The food was quite good however there wasn't enough bread with our meal and we were surprised to encounter an extra charge for a little extra bread. I have never been charged for extra bread in Italy but I suppose there is always a first time. The restaurant was very informal, low key with typical lamps and furnishings. We chose a platter of dishes which were served on a huge circular tray and placed on the low table in front of us. I hadn't realised we wouldn't be sitting at a traditional table and I felt a little uncomfortable without my own plate and felt as if I was eating on my knee. It was an average experience and I in my experience there are much better restaurants near Campo dei Fiori.

• Visited March 2013

fotheringay
“Quaint and different, but not really worth waiting up for!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2013

We tried this place a couple of Saturdays ago and were only partly satisfied with it. First, as another reviewer points out, it was very chilly both in terms of the temperature and in terms of the reception we were afforded. The only heated room was empty but when we sat down in it we were told it was fully booked and were shown to a cold room to the side. Yet when we left after dinner, about an hour and a half later, the heated room was still completely empty! Anyway, the food was interesting, in that it resembled traditional Middle Eastern food but with a distinct Syrian accent. So if Middle Eastern food's your thing but you want to try something a little different from the usual Lebanese fare, then by all means give it a try. The drinks, as another reviewer says, were frankly boring. We had mint tea, which tasted of hot water but had a few mint leaves floating around in it. And 35 euro for two people for what amounted to little more than a handful of dips and two glasses of hot water was a bit over the top. Oh, and if you fancy buying one of the myriad lamps on display (all for sale but not particularly attractive), make sure you check the price tags first: outrageous!

• Visited January 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Roma
“A completely oriental gem in the heart of Rome”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

There is nothing typically Italian about this place. But, I suppose that is exactly what one expects of "Sciam": a persian gem in Rome. If you like lavish oriental decorations, persian rugs, mystical atmosphere created by a huge amount of lamps hanging almost from everywhere, oriental music...well, that's the place for you. The food is persian as well, and quite good. The same for spiced teas and infusion (they don't serve alcohol). The main reason I went to "Sciam", was the shisha (water-pipe). Despite some negative reviews (which I read before going there), have to say: I'm completely satisfied. It obviously depends on what are you expecting (As I said before: the place doesn't have anything to do with an Italian venue...). My only remark is that they request a minimal consummation (7 euros per person). That's why I gave 4 points...I wouldn't bother about some remarks regarding the cleanness. Specially not in Rome.

• Visited October 2012
Toronto
“Wonderful bit of Syria to experience in Rome”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2012

We went here on our last night in Rome and were thrilled to find such a cozy, informal, friendly place. The food was very good, as was the tea. The atmosphere was low-key and positive, an equal mix of locals and tourists. It was easy to rngage staff in conversation. As for the fools posting here to complain about the cover charge: you know full well that your Roman counterparts running similar establishments would not look favourably on those lingering without buying, so get real. This place offers a unique vibe unavailble elsewhere in the city. I am done. The end.

• Visited May 2012