“Delicious, friendly and I'll come back again!”
Review of Sahara

Sahara
Reserve with
Sahara is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #350 of 12,525 Restaurants in Rome
Cuisines: African
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: San Lorenzo
Rome, Italy
“Delicious, friendly and I'll come back again!”
Reviewed February 16, 2014

Just enjoyed my second meal in Sahara last night. Glad I came back- the first time was at the start of January.
The staff are very nice, and, although we hadn't made a reservation (it was a Saturday night, too!) they did their best to seat us very quickly, despite the place being packed. All the waitresses are ever-smiling and very pleasant. Service is quick and efficient. The owner/manager (?) who is Italian, makes his round throughout the evening to make sure everyone is happy.
The food is delicious. I've only ever (before this restaurant) had this cuisine in one other restaurant in Rome, in Monteverde, and I didn't like it there. But I love it here!
Last night we were three friends, and ordered a mixed starter to begin with, which comes with felafel, sambussa and kategna. For the mains, we ordered a "Zighini" (spicy lamb dish), "Zil ZIl Tibsi" (a mildly spicy beef dish) and "Zihla" (raw beef chunks). Everything comes with sauces and injera (bread). And we ordered plenty of beer.
It was a great night, great food, I literally have nothing to complain about. I'll be back and am recommending it to my friends!

• Visited February 2014

“Good restaurant - You must try it!”
Reviewed January 11, 2014 via mobile

Good restaurant where the food it's very good and prices are not very high.
Only one problem : to park the car.

In this restaurant you can eat with your hands,but don't worry! if you have any problems you can always ask a fork :D

You must try it!

La Spezia, Italy
“Mmm, Mmm Good, and yes, Virginia, injera is a little tart!!!”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Showed up earlyish on a Friday night and had an excellent and filling meal of two mains and a starter mix. Service was friendly, the restaurant is large and well laid out, and the food was VERY good. I highly recommend this place as an alternative to the run of the mill pasta shops.

To address a lot of the criticisms: Yes, the injera is mildly sour. I've not been to Ethiopia, but have eaten this cuisine across two continents and this was typical of the style. I repeat: MILDLY sour. Its not acidic, or bitter, or inedible, it is just a little tangy. You're not supposed to eat it plain, it's supposed to wrap, convey and counterpoint the food that is served on top of it! If my meal was any indication, anyone who can't handle their injera should restrict themselves to pasta bianca with a delicate olive oil topping, hold the parmigiano.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank cvdwl
“Left a sour taste in my mouth.”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

As many others I trusted the good reviews. The atmosphere was very nice but that was swiftly dampened by the waitress who seated us and took our order. We felt we were an inconvenience and I gave up trying to squeeze a smile out of her. Meat was tuff and bread sour. One mixed starter, 2 mains, a beer and tea €45. Not worth it I'm afraid.

• Visited July 2013
9 Thank Duncan A
Hampshire, UK
“Pleasantly surprised”
Reviewed June 5, 2013

We had a late dinner here since the restaurant was down the street from the Best Western where we were staying near the university, and we were longing for something spicy.

The place was a pleasant surprise - didn't disappoint on the food front, attractive decor, good service, reasonably-priced. It's been a while since we've eaten Eritrean food so I can't comment about the authenticity but it was certainly very tasty. There were a number of regulars amongst the other customers and the place was about half-full on a week-day night. It's not particularly cheap but for this kind of food, you want to share anyway, it's good for communal eating.

Recommended if you want a change from pasta or pizza !

Visited May 2013

Been to Sahara? Share your experiences!