“Hidden Gem”
Review of Il Focolare

Il Focolare
Reserve with
Il Focolare is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,108 of 12,448 Restaurants in Rome
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Monteverde
west yorkshire, england
“Hidden Gem”
Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

We were on holiday staying just around the corner so thought we would try and get away from the some of the tourist traps in Trastevere centre. What a good choice just a shame we only discovered it on the last night, the food was amazing! Full of locals, to us a tell tale sign that this is a good restaurant. Thoroughly recommend the shrimp gnocchi and dark chocolate fondue, to die for!! My partner had a pizza which was fab.

I have read a few reviews about bad service, we had no problem at all.

All at a very reasonable price aswell, only 53 euro for wine, soft drinks, water, first, second course & desert each!!

New York, New York
“Amazing food!”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

During our five night stay in Rome, we ate at Il Focolare 3 times! The restaurant was such a comfortable environment to be in. It was clear that the restaurant was a neighborhood favorite. We saw entire families, couples, and friends but not a tourist in sight (except us). Even though we did not speak Italian, the wait staff were extremely accommodating and even gave us a menu with English translation. The first night I ate there, at the recommendation of the waiter I had prosciutto with bufala mozzarella. He brought out this plate of heaven with a bed of fresh prosciutto and a ball of bufala mozzarella sliced in half laying on top. It was so fresh, sweet, and juicy it was like nothing I have ever experienced. Other notable meals included zabaglione made tableside and served over fresh strawberries! The highlight for me was when I asked the waiter for his recommendation and he gave me something that wasn't even on the menu! He brought out handmade spaghetti in a seafood ragu of langoustine, lobster, and crab. I am still having dreams about that dinner! Definitely the best meal I had in Rome. If you want to have an authentic Roman dining experience come to Il Focolare!

Houston, Texas
“Great lunch.”
Reviewed June 5, 2013 via mobile

We watch to see where the locals go and are rarely disappointed. Good food. Great service. Nice antipasti selection for a reasonable price. Note: they are closed Wednesdays.

Bath, United Kingdom
“Dreadful service”
Reviewed May 31, 2013

We ate here in May and the food was very good and the prices reasonable, I recommend the fondant chocolate pudding which was particularly good. Sadly the service was very poor and it wasn't just because we were tourists, there was an Italian family who waited 30 minutes for their desert and they weren't happy either. We were seated in a covered addition to the main restaurant and people were smoking which I found a little unpleasant. I have no idea why there was only one waiter in our section, there were 3 in the other part of the restaurant. Basically he spent much of his time trying to avoid eye contact with the customers, except for one table where he spent quite some time chatting! It was quite strange and yes we got so fed up with waiting we started timing him (sad but true). It even took an age for the bill to arrive and it eventually did so because the Italian gent behind us became quite exasperated and after jumping up several times and remonstrating got the waiter to produce the bill. For the first time ever we didn't leave a tip.

• Visited May 2013
Chico, California
“Great to chat with chef!”
Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

We had nice dinner here last night. Waiter took a bit to warm up as he was tending to many locals who all seemed to know each other. He was actually funny as heck in 3 languages (English & Spanish along with Italian) and enjoys American Country music. Mention Garth Brooks for a big smile and a verse or two. Chef, Andrea Stagnetta, chatted with us about the great limited production olive oil he uses, too. Very pleasant young fellow! I'll go again

1 Thank sastoneesq

Been to Il Focolare? Share your experiences!