“I can die happy”

Ranked #1,136 of 12,672 Restaurants in Rome
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Navona / Pantheon / Campo de’ Fiori
Reviewed April 14, 2014

I visited this spot with a few friends while in town. We ordered pretty much the entire menu and ate as Romans do. We spent 3 hours just wining and dining while enjoying the company. I had a pasta dish for my main meal. I realize this is taboo but after various starters, it was hard to think about eating anymore food.

I highly recommend this place. The service is attentive and the food will leave you with a smile on your face.

Reviewed April 13, 2014

Judging by the other reviews we were very lucky to turn up and get an outside table.

The restaurant was recommended by the hotel and I was a bit dubious when the receptionist said I always recommend Maccheroni - but in retrospect I understand why. Good quality, local food at a fair price. The staff were a bit surly initially but once we were seated it all changed. Trust their recommendations on wine as they'll give you something regional and good.

The waiter looked a bit like the small guy / Alan from hangover and was nearly as entertaining.

Reviewed April 10, 2014

We ate here a few weeks back, and it has to be perhaps our favourite restaurant of our entire trip. Booking imperative, but excellent home made dishes, and very friendly staff (try the pasta with pumpkin, the caccio e pepe is also good, as is the cannelloni) Maccheroni has a great atmosphere too, and you can watch your dishes being prepared in the kitchen as you sit. Highly recommended...

Reviewed April 9, 2014

Make a reservation in order to be sure you spend the evening there.... A very nice atmosphere, great service, and very good food...

Reviewed April 2, 2014 via mobile

After only a couple days dining here, I had to struggle to remember this restaurant. It wasn't bad - just not very special.

Here's one thing I have to get off my chest... My husband and I very much felt like the host and servers immediately ushered us into the basement dining area (we called it the "tourist dungeon") that was cold and lifeless even when there were clearly still tables in the more happening areas of the restaurant (and, yes, we had a reservation). When we first walked in, we thought the place was cute and lively. But then...we were brought to the basement - the FAR back part of the basement - where ALL the other non-locals were similarly relegated.

Anyway, on to the food. I liked the cacio e pepe - it was rich, it was creamy. For my main, I had the ossobuco. While the meat was tender, I wasn't impressed with the overall dish. It tasted like the cooked meat was put on a serving plate and then ladled with their basic red sauce (the exact same one my husband had in his pasta). It wasn't horrible...just very uninspired.

Overall, we had an okay meal but left feeling a bit unsatisfied with our first dinner in Rome.