“My favourite restaurant by far”

Ristorante Maccheroni
Ranked #1,085 of 12,362 Restaurants in Rome
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Navona / Pantheon / Campo de’ Fiori
Norwich, England, United Kingdom
“My favourite restaurant by far”
Reviewed June 26, 2013

My friend had been to this restaurant before when she had come to rome and so we decided to find it again as she remembered it being really good. I loved it. We went twice in the time we stayed in Rome. The food is amazing quality and the price is very good (approx. 10 euros for appetisers and first dishes, 15-20 euros for second courses, house wine is 8 euros a litre). If you're looking for great food, cheap prices and the best carbonara you've ever eaten, this is definitely the place to go!

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Houston, Texas
“All Star Authentic”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Only while writing this review did I go back to add the final star for this fine restaurant. Why? It earns the rating by providing a completely excellent dining experience--great setting, superb service, and wonderful food! Yes, we too had to wait until exactly seven to be seated for our Saturday night supper, but then we were placed on the street amidst a lively crowd with entertaining views of passersby and a wait-staff lined up to chat and smoke between courses. Our server spoke perfect English, was courteous enough to find a place to stash my hat, quick with helpful menu and wine suggestions, and attentive throughout the meal. And, although all four of us ordered different dishes for the courses, the unanimous opinion was each plate was delicioso and together equalled any evening meal we shared in our ten-days in the country. We found the pasta variations and their sauces especially tasty! Having visited Rome several times now, we believe this restaurant is the real deal and offers both tourists and locals authentic Italian dining at reasonable prices. It's also within walking distance of key sites. So, a full Five Stars from us!

Ohio
“Not bad for a place so close to the Pantheon!”
Reviewed June 22, 2013

My husband & I ate here for the first of our 4 nights we spent in Rome in May 2013. It was directly around the corner from our B&B and was recommended by our host. We were tired from travelling all day (Sorrento to Naples to Pompeii to Herculeneum to Rome), and we just wanted to eat somewhere near our B&B (even though we knew the food wasn't supposed to be as good in a "tourist area" such as the pantheon area!). What a pleasant surprise! We made reservations about 3 hours prior to our actual dinner time (this gave us a little time to explore Rome on our first evening of arrival). When we came back, we were seated outside at a little table on the street. The street is cobblestone, so the chairs & table were a little wobbly, but it was okay.

We ordered a liter of the house wine, and we thought it was great. If you order the house wines you drink it out of juice glasses, rather than wine glasses, which is a little weird. We kept waiting for our wine glasses (we saw other people using them), and figured our server forgot about us. So... if you order the house wine, start sipping away when the wine arrives at the table!

We started our meal with the stracciatella cheese. We didn't know what kind of cheese it would be, but cheese sounded delicious. And it was!! MMmm! We also ordered the mozzarella & ham (which were also good), but the stracciatella was better! I ordered the Cacio e Pepe (I know, not very original), and my husband ordered another type of pasta (see the pictures). Both were SO GOOD. I almost slipped into a cheese coma from this meal. The Cacio e Pepe was EXTREMELY cheesy - be warned! We finished our meal with dessert, but to be honest, it's been about a month since our trip, and I don't even remember what we had... I know we had dessert with every meal, so we must have had something. I guess that is a bad sign if it is not memorable!! Right!? Eek! That being said, I don't remember a bad dessert either...

The meal was extremely reasonably priced, our service was good, and we highly enjoyed dining outside in such a touristy area. Perhaps it was because we were so tired & our expectations were so low, but this was a surprisingly delicious meal... I wish I could remember dessert!

• Visited May 2013
Solihull, England, United Kingdom
“Excellente”
Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

Superb! As another reviewer said sense of humour, live for the moment and flexibility are key. Our table was for 7pm but we turned up 10 minutes early and told to come back at 7pm when it opens :-)
Great service from the start. I had spaghetti in oil garlic and chilli, very simple but sensational. My wife had ravioli and daughter had chicken cacciotore all delicious.

You have to book and they're meticulous over tables booked as we witnessed, hence the sense of humour comment.

Can easily recommend. I wonder if some other posters would be better off at maccy's?

Brookline, Massachusetts
“Great food and fun dinner with large family group”
Reviewed June 18, 2013

We took our family to this restaurant - all 26 of us visiting Rome! We arranged the dinner over email, and had the downstairs room to ourselves. The room itself was pretty basic, but the dinner was great. We had an interesting and energetic server. The pear and gorgonzola gnocchi and the ravioli were incredible. I want more of that gnocchi now! Our non-vegetarian family members did say that the pastas were better than the meat dishes. Also, they made some easily approachable kid pastas as well. We ordered a lot of pastas and some meat entrees and plenty of wine (but no dessert), avg cost 25 euro...