“Awesome!”

Ristorante Maccheroni
Ranked #1,147 of 12,165 Restaurants in Rome
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children, Kids, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Navona / Pantheon / Campo de’ Fiori
Gothenburg, Sweden
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Awesome!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

Our first night in Rome. We arrived 19.00, they said that they opened 19.30 and the waitor asked if we had a reservation, wich we didnt.. When he found out that we were swedes he immidiately arrenged a table and then he led us the way to a bar nearby where we could get a beer while Maccheroni was preparing to open. He also talked to the staff so they gave us free appetizers along with the beer :)

At Maccheroni we got some nice bread and wonderful olive oil and then we ordered buffalo mozzarella, prosciutto and tomatos. The best mozzarella I've ever had! Beautiful!
And our waiter also recommended a nice red wine for 18 euros, it was reeeeally good
As maincourses we tried the Carbonara, it was perfect! Although i would prefer a little bit more bacon/ham in it.

We finished with espresso and grappa.
Overall a top notch experience, and the waitor was a bit "rough" with his whiskeyvoice and tattoos but we felt like we really were taken care of.

• Visited January 2013

• Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Ireland
“A Roman favourite of mine!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

Everytime I visit Rome I have to pay a visit to Ristorante Maccheroni. I always book in advance to ensure a table outside, which is a great way to watch the world go by. While it can often appear slightly hectic at times I have always enjoyed the atmosphere of the place and have always found the staff very friendly. The food that I have had has has always been delicious! Maccheroni will always remain a friend to me, a friend that I can rely on when in Rome.

• Visited August 2012
Montreal
“Awful, very disappointing”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

I've never written a bad review before because I'm always so careful to check out online comments before trying new restaurants, but this time we based our decision on a recommendation in a travel guidebook and what a disappointment!

I have to point out that this was a couple of days before New Years eve, we did not have a reservation and the place was full at 9 p.m. when we arrived. They had one table left, but it was in the basement. My first hunch was to refuse the table and go eat somewhere else, but we were tired and hungry so we decided to stay.

The dining room seemed nice but downstairs the basement was not very nice, it didn't smell clean (sewer pipes nearby?), it was lit up very bright like in a supermarket and terribly noisy, so I give it a zero for ambiance.

Now for the food, it was definitely not consistent with Rome standards. The appetizer (Roman-style artichoke) tasted like they just opened a can of artichoke and put it on a plate, it had no flavor. The pasta (carbonara) was a strange color and lacked seasoning. I had osso bucco and the portion was huge, but the presentation of all the plates was so sloppy and unappetizing that I ate just a fraction of it and drowned it with red wine. I simply couldn't wait for the meal to end.

Looking at the other reviews, I am very surprised that our experience was so awful. Did we just get very unlucky that night?

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank palomazzz
Turin, Italy
“Beautiful exposed kitchen. Excellent Cacio & Pepe. Recommended.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

We stayed at this restaurant December 30 and, despite the period of dinners and parties, the place was full and we had to book.
We were greeted by a warm and comfortable, with trinkets of the past and a beautiful exposed kitchen.
We ate "tonnarelli cacio & pepe", well cooked and tasty, and the pasta "carbonara", delicious.
The price is good. The only flaw in the wine jug, a little watered down.
To return!!

• Visited December 2012
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Best food we had in Rome”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

After passing on Saturday night and unable to get a table until late we revisited later on in our trip and wasn't disappointed.
Beautiful food, reasonable prices, fast, good Italian service, even included after dinner Limonchello on the house!
Highly recommended!