“A Roman favourite of mine!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ristorante Maccheroni
Ranked #1,125 of 12,045 Restaurants in Rome
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget, Kids, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Navona / Pantheon / Campo de’ Fiori
Ireland
“A Roman favourite of mine!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

Everytime I visit Rome I have to pay a visit to Ristorante Maccheroni. I always book in advance to ensure a table outside, which is a great way to watch the world go by. While it can often appear slightly hectic at times I have always enjoyed the atmosphere of the place and have always found the staff very friendly. The food that I have had has has always been delicious! Maccheroni will always remain a friend to me, a friend that I can rely on when in Rome.

• Visited August 2012

• Turkish first
Montreal
“Awful, very disappointing”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

I've never written a bad review before because I'm always so careful to check out online comments before trying new restaurants, but this time we based our decision on a recommendation in a travel guidebook and what a disappointment!

I have to point out that this was a couple of days before New Years eve, we did not have a reservation and the place was full at 9 p.m. when we arrived. They had one table left, but it was in the basement. My first hunch was to refuse the table and go eat somewhere else, but we were tired and hungry so we decided to stay.

The dining room seemed nice but downstairs the basement was not very nice, it didn't smell clean (sewer pipes nearby?), it was lit up very bright like in a supermarket and terribly noisy, so I give it a zero for ambiance.

Now for the food, it was definitely not consistent with Rome standards. The appetizer (Roman-style artichoke) tasted like they just opened a can of artichoke and put it on a plate, it had no flavor. The pasta (carbonara) was a strange color and lacked seasoning. I had osso bucco and the portion was huge, but the presentation of all the plates was so sloppy and unappetizing that I ate just a fraction of it and drowned it with red wine. I simply couldn't wait for the meal to end.

Looking at the other reviews, I am very surprised that our experience was so awful. Did we just get very unlucky that night?

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank palomazzz
Turin, Italy
“Beautiful exposed kitchen. Excellent Cacio & Pepe. Recommended.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

We stayed at this restaurant December 30 and, despite the period of dinners and parties, the place was full and we had to book.
We were greeted by a warm and comfortable, with trinkets of the past and a beautiful exposed kitchen.
We ate "tonnarelli cacio & pepe", well cooked and tasty, and the pasta "carbonara", delicious.
The price is good. The only flaw in the wine jug, a little watered down.
To return!!

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Best food we had in Rome”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

After passing on Saturday night and unable to get a table until late we revisited later on in our trip and wasn't disappointed.
Beautiful food, reasonable prices, fast, good Italian service, even included after dinner Limonchello on the house!
Highly recommended!
Starter-Buffalo Mozzarella, tomato basil salad
Main course-Taglitelle Carbonara/Mushroom Ravioli
Dessert-Creme Brulee

• Visited September 2012
Karlsruhe, Germany
“Authentic Italian experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

We went there with an Italian friend and had a real authentic Italian experience with delicious pasta and excellent trippa a la romana. The service was very friendly and the prices were fair. We heard Michelle Obama went there last time she was in town! Go there without hesitation.